Thread: TATW Unofficial patch 4.0

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default Re: Alternative patch 2019 (READ THE DAMN FAQ PLEASE)

preview of the latest added units is out.

Thank you Leo. Great Mod..

Units are looking good indeed.

check out the middle earth map released by amazon for their new series.

https://www.amazon.com/adlp/lotronprime

Nice resource.

Its a pity that Beleriand is all under the ocean now, there would be a lot of cool ruined places there to have as custom settlements.

Is there any settlement that could still be made to TATW, aside from Pelargir, Dol Amroth and Grey Heavens?

Ruined castles or cities, anything.

I found that Nogrod and Belegost are ruined places in ered luin. We have Thorin's Halls there in TATW, is it representing one of the two I first quoted? That lore stuff is confusing to me.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; June 11, 2019 at 09:57 PM.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

Considering the destruction of Beleriand was such an apocalypse that the entire Ered Luin broke, realistically nothing at all should be left of Nogrod and Belegost, it's just not possible.
    Now, you could try a custom settlement for Aldburg. The name literally means "Old castle".
    This is where the people of Rohan first settled when Gondor gave them the Calenardhon (which was renamed Rohan) region, it was their first capital.
    Now it only makes sense for the people of Rohan to settle first where they already have the protection of something, like a castle.

J.R.R.Tolkien heavily based Rohan on the Anglo-Saxons, who were known to also colonise and settle in old Roman forts:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So you have the name of Aldburg (Old castle) along with the logic that i wrote above. I think Aldburg could be one of the cooler custom settlements. You'd have a Gondorian castle up on a hill, with a Rohan city around it.
    I'm actually part of a building team on Ardacraft building Aldburg right now.
    Here are some inspirational screenshots i hope:

I hope this helps you a little with ideas Leo!
    Last edited by Dutch-Balrog; June 12, 2019 at 04:53 AM.

Thanks for the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch-Balrog View Post
    Considering the destruction of Beleriand was such an apocalypse that the entire Ered Luin broke, realistically nothing at all should be left of Nogrod and Belegost, it's just not possible.
    The Ered Luin is the mountain range where Thorin's Halls is located, it is still in the Third Age as well as in TATW.
    Wouldn't be reasonable to have at least ruined versions of Belegost and Nogrond there too?

aNow, you could try a custom settlement for Aldburg. The name literally means "Old castle"
    Huumm... a nice suggestion but given that there is no canonical description of the settlement, I dont fell that leaning to do it. Kind of looks like a place that can be fit by a generic settlement without any problem, and I dont want anything big enough to reduce the importance of lore accurate places like Hornburg. Im not really in the mood.

Im currenly in love with the two concepts:

The first one has obvious utility, maybe for generic settlements of Orocarni Dwarvens, or unique settlements for the their four houses in the east.
    Though modelling all these buildings are out of my skill range.

I could, hoever, model the porticullis of the second image, though I dont know what for it could be used, since Carn Dum is already done. Im strugling trying to fit it in Mount Gram, but that would probably be anti-lore since Gram is described in the lore as simply a mount inhabitated by orcs, not a fortress with structures built like Carn Dum, by the witch king.

I found these references for dwarven places, though they are not precise.
    Would anyone take a look and see what we could extract from it?

Thorin's Halls was founded in the Third Age though, more than 5000 years after the Ered Luin broke (i never said the Ered Luin doesn't exist anymore). I really want to see how anyone could explain ruins of Nogrod and Belegost existing after what happened and over 6000 years passing since then lol.

Aldburg is literally almost as important as Helm's Deep and Edoras, it's literally the first capital of Rohan.

For those references, well, dwarves are not known to have any above ground structures usally. Why build walls and stuff when you have a mountain as your wall.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

In the lore Thorin's Halls and the majority of the dwarven Ered Luin population was located in the southern part of the mountains (on the other side of the gulf).
    Belegost and Nogrod were located near Mount Dolmed: http://tolkiengateway.net/w/images/c...-_Belegost.gif
    Which in the Third Age has been speculated to be located here: http://www.tolkiengateway.net/w/imag..._Amon_Ereb.png
    It has been also speculated that Nogrod was destructed more heavily than Belegost, so I imagine that Nogrod could look something similar to your old Mountain Fort settlement and Belegost something like this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6-ncDOXYAInbZP.jpg
    Though, I'd evaluate such speculation quite wild, but not as wild as dwarves riding goats.

Actually, Appendix A says Thorin's Halls is beyond the Lune, which is north. Appendix B just says that the majority of Dûrin's folk settled in the southern half of the Ered Luin (correct me if i'm wrong it's been a long while since i read any of that).

Thanks guys, keep posting more info if you want. Im taking all in account.

Now, you could try a custom settlement for Aldburg. The name literally means "Old castle".
    This is where the people of Rohan first settled when Gondor gave them the Calenardhon (which was renamed Rohan) region, it was their first capital.
    Now it only makes sense for the people of Rohan to settle first where they already have the protection of something, like a castle.

J.R.R.Tolkien heavily based Rohan on the Anglo-Saxons, who were known to also colonise and settle in old Roman forts:

So you have the name of Aldburg (Old castle) along with the logic that i wrote above. I think Aldburg could be one of the cooler custom settlements. You'd have a Gondorian castle up on a hill, with a Rohan city around it.
    I'm actually part of a building team on Ardacraft building Aldburg right now.
    Here are some inspirational screenshots i hope:

I hope this helps you a little with ideas Leo!
    I like this concept for Aldburg. Though I think that Mistrand, the capital of Rhun would merit a custom settlement as well.

I forgot to mention that there is a main obstacle for me to create that kind of settlement. I dont have the necessary skills to create these models.

So all I can do is use builds that already exsits in another settlement or create very simple models.
    I cant create a huge settlement from zero.

Leo, I'm sorry for asking, but what's the purpose of all those Warhammer animations in the mod?
    I was trying to add some animations for elven units to 2.4, from some old and long forgotten submod, and no matter what, my repacked files just kept crashing at the start, without any log to point at source of error, until I erased those files for good. I don't mean warg or troll ones, but infantry: 2H_swords, droyshiky, and like this. Even Pegasus. Are they from TA: Reforged?

And, Aldburg custom settlement sounds like a cool idea. Both Gondor castles and Rohan cities are already exist, so you don't need to create models from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by CalamariGhost View Post
    Leo, I'm sorry for asking, but what's the purpose of all those Warhammer animations in the mod?
    I was trying to add some animations for elven units to 2.4, from some old and long forgotten submod, and no matter what, my repacked files just kept crashing at the start, without any log to point at source of error, until I erased those files for good. I don't mean warg or troll ones, but infantry: 2H_swords, droyshiky, and like this. Even Pegasus. Are they from TA: Reforged?
    The animations pack currently included in my submod is from THIRD AGE REFORGED, and I added the pegassus animation by myself, to use in eagles.

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

2.4 Is the full version?
    2.5 relase date?

Quote Originally Posted by Khevsur View Post
    2.4 Is the full version?
    2.5 relase date?
    I missed you...

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

Gudnabad vs Silvan Elves - custom battle

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

i think DaC Sindar elves armour Is beatiful and high quality Textures.

Gundabad goblin Bands , Trackers armor is Inappropriate Light and colours ,Out of style. helmets, shields is heavy and dark

i think this armor is better for gundabad goblins, with metal plates + chain mail + animals Fur

Last edited by Khevsur; June 18, 2019 at 12:13 PM.