Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About FMIR:

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: About FMIR:

Are you using those great looking Prometheus Augustian legions with lorica hamata and rectangular shields (IIRC Cohors Res Publicae in RG)?

So far I am only using oval shields. The reason is that I am not sure of when the rectangular shields came into service: did they become part of the equipment during the Principate or were they adopted by some of the legions before the last struggle of Antonius vs. Octavius?

I have the same doubt concerning helmets: I have used Coolus and Montefortino types, due to my lack of knowledge of when the Imperial variations were introduced.

Kozak's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by bucellarii View Post
    Salvor is a masochist as well as a football lover. He is a Real Madrid fan living in Barcelona
    Оh, my God!

Kozak's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    After such nice invitation, it´s not suprising that Salvor refused it. Also I thought that our Ukrainian neighbours are more hospitable.
    He-he
    Last edited by Kozak; January 17, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    So far I am only using oval shields. The reason is that I am not sure of when the rectangular shields came into service: did they become part of the equipment during the Principate or were they adopted by some of the legions before the last struggle of Antonius vs. Octavius?

I have the same doubt concerning helmets: I have used Coolus and Montefortino types, due to my lack of knowledge of when the Imperial variations were introduced.
    I am affraid that nobody really knows when exactly the rectangular shields started to be used because the lack of evidence. I have read somwhere that they originated from the habit of Legionaries to cut their oval shields due to the need of decresing their weight in the battlefield.

I think you are right about the helmets, Still during the Augustus rule Coolus were the most used helmet acording achreological evidence.

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Great, cannot wait to see what you come up with
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; January 22, 2012 at 07:00 AM.

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

Is there an ETA?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Judah View Post
    Is there an ETA?
    I am also eagerly awaiting FMIR, any chance for some beta testing?

Let me think about it. One of the setbacks is the instability of uploading sites nowadays.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

@ Salvor Hardin: Can you please check this thread?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=418542

There are some new faction leader event pictures made by Joar. I think that should be a very nine addition to the FMIR.

I have just downloaded them. Thanks!

Great you like them. I hope Joar will grant you permission to use them

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post

Well I will stick only with oval shields for this period. Concerning the helmets, I will also add a Gallic type A helmet for greater variations (see the attached pictures). Maybe some units with lorica squamata in the East. Well I should check some books.

Also it will be great to see the representation of the Latin and Roman colonies in FMiR and other future projects. Maybe as the building, from which the player will be able to recruit Roman troops in the provinces to represent Roman colonization. What do you think Salvor?

I have added some of that to the Second Triumvirate mod. Not as a particular building, but enabling the last level of barracks to produce legionaries, only in areas known for holding Roman colonies during the time period. FMIR timeframe is really too early for establishing Roman military colonies outside mainland Italy.

Good to hear that. For the FMiR I was thinking about the Aquae Sextiae, it was founded in 122 BC as the first Roman colony in Gaul, if I´m not mistaken. Also for the future, should i post such suggestions here or at Dev. forums? I´m not quite sure about my competency

Edit: Also what about the helmet suggestion? Sorry for being so persistent
    Last edited by tomySVK; March 26, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomySVK View Post
    Good to hear that. For the FMiR I was thinking about the Aquae Sextiae, it was founded in 122 BC as the first Roman colony in Gaul, if I´m not mistaken. Also for the future, should i post such suggestions here or at Dev. forums? I´m not quite sure about my competency
    You can keep posting here. It is a way of keeping the forum alive.

Concerning Aquae Sextiae, I am not sure that any significant number of legionaries were recruited there prior, at least, to Caesar's governorship. If I remember correctly, he was the first to raise legions in Cisalpine Gaul, which was sort of a scandal then. So if anyone had mass-recruited in Transalpine Gaul, I guess that it would have been mentioned in the sources.

Edit: Also what about the helmet suggestion? Sorry for being so persistent
    I think that some of the legions have this helmet, but it's been so long since I finished the last legion, that I could be wrong. I will give a look at the unit cards tonight and try to post some picture if I am correct.

You are right, it was a small colony, the main aim for it was security for Massalia and security for land links with Hispania, if I´m not mistaken. Thanks for your quick answer. Looking forward for the screens

I wonder if you are going to use RSII or some another advanced enviroments in FMIR? I think it would improve the look of the battlefields a lot

So, How's FMIR coming along?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast