Thread: Flying Fell Beasts

Evan MF's Avatar Vicarius

Icon3 Flying Fell Beasts

Hi all,

I don't know whether this has been pondered or explored before; the issue of implementing Fell Beasts, but I have an idea of how they could potentially be represented on the battlefield.

Due to limitations of the game engine, having an actual unit of Wraith-ridden Fell Beasts is a pretty unlikely to work in battle and still remain an immersive feature. However, perhaps they can be represented as non-unit entities in the game. Almost like an environmental feature wherever the forces of Mordor tread.

I am not sure if Medieval 2 has a neutral flying bird mechanic or not. If it had one then perhaps bird models could be replaced with Fell Beast models in the battles in which Mordor is fighting in. If there is in fact not a birds mechanic (forgive my ignorance, I have not played Medieval 2 in ages) then do you think it would be a hard task creating one?

This idea could work for Eagles also; perhaps regions in the North and around the Misty Mountains can have Eagles fly around during the battles as a feature of the environment.

Please enlighten me on whether the idea is technically plausable and give your own ideas/feedback on the matter.

EvanMF

Default Re: Flying Fell Beasts

Sir Alreadydead has made those felbeasts the only problem is they don't fly over walls

I don't think there are any birds on the battlefield but if they are you have a GREAT idea!

With all respect AE

Borussia Dortmund fan

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

That could actually be a very good idea! They wouldn't be able to take part in the battle, but would make a very nice feature.

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

Though another question is, if you do not have any advantage and/or any use or whatever, is it worth the effort, for I am sure it is damn much effort neverless... ?!

el Cid's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBigAb View Post
    Though another question is, if you do not have any advantage and/or any use or whatever, is it worth the effort, for I am sure it is damn much effort neverless... ?!
    Well if such a bird model exists, I doubt it would be much work to replace it with an already existing model?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    Almost like an environmental feature wherever the forces of Mordor tread.

I am not sure if Medieval 2 has a neutral flying bird mechanic or not... do you think it would be a hard task creating one?

This idea could work for Eagles also; perhaps regions in the North and around the Misty Mountains can have Eagles fly around during the battles as a feature of the environment.
    All this is not possible, there are no neutral flying birds, or anyway to add them, or such ways to manipulate environmental features like that. You can however change the terrain climate to give an advantage to Mordor, which is already done inside Mordor.

Here are some pics of some as units in battle though . You can also try them for yourself by clicking my sig.
    Last edited by alreadyded; November 02, 2011 at 03:43 AM.

2-D Ron's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    All this is not possible, there are no neutral flying birds, or anyway to add them, or such ways to manipulate environmental features like that. You can however change the terrain climate to give an advantage to Mordor, which is already done inside Mordor.

Here are some pics of some as units in battle though . You can also try them for yourself by clicking my sig.
    Do your Great Eagles dive when they attack Ded?
    That sounds more like success to me, not asking for Movie style Nazgul diving into Minas Tirith from the Sky, just your average flying units, let imagination do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-D Ron View Post
    Do your Great Eagles dive when they attack Ded?
    Yuppers.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

alreadyded could you please post a video of your flying units o battlefiled?

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post
    alreadyded could you please post a video of your flying units o battlefiled?
    I posted this one awhile back. It is outdated though, they are not the same now.
    Last edited by alreadyded; November 02, 2011 at 11:25 PM.

ryan1266's Avatar Civis

Are those units part of the mod or a separate download?

Fable's Avatar Tiro

I posted this one awhile back. It is outdated though, they are not the same now.
    So you decided to "finish" them after all?
    It would also be a real shame not to see those masterpieces reaching thier full potential..
    Is it just the skins/models, or have you also further improved the animations?

Yuppers.

CooOOooool !

Then that's good enough for me.. I will be slapping this on my Third Age when the New release comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fable View Post
    So you decided to "finish" them after all?
    It would also be a real shame not to see those masterpieces reaching thier full potential..
    Is it just the skins/models, or have you also further improved the animations?
    The animations are the same, I just improved their performance on the battlefield, such as not knocking down troops when they fly over them, and making them resistant to short reaching weapons, while vulnerable to weapons with more reach and ranged weapons. I never intended them to be a masterpiece, as they are such a rare unit it is not worth my time.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; November 03, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leo.civil.uefs View Post

They got rid of the Fellbeasts in later releases because they were too buggy.

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by 2-D Ron View Post
    They got rid of the Fellbeasts in later releases because they were too buggy.
    Nope

Another idea is to have Nazgul on fell Beast wheeling around over the campaign map. I think BFME2 did that on the XBOX on the main menu, or maybe on War of the Ring mode for PC. You know, just for aesthetics.

I'm not even sure if it's possible, but it's just an idea.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Its probalby not possible, maby if it would be possible to make moving resources...
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Nice idea - but it would be a pain once you'd destroyed all of Mordor's crap and those guys are still happily wheeling around...
    -HK

THE CAKE IS A LIE!