Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Eldorien's [MOUNTED and DISMOUNTED] Byzantium Units Reforged v1.0 for SS6.4+BftB2.0 [Released 11-02-2012]

Eldorien88's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Eldorien's [ONCE MOUNTED, NOW DISMOUNTED] Byzantium New Dismounted Units for SS6.4+BftB2.0 [24-12-11 New Units in progress page:4 posts:72 & 79 [almost finalised]

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    No koke those are the most epic Varangian units i've ever seen, they even surass BCs Units and that my friend is high praise.The only thing i can think of that may be wrong is that theyre too ahistorical?They look kinda bling bling for a Byzantine unit, just sayin.
    My view regarding the historical approach to skins is not my main concern. :-)
    Regarding to the period that the unit appears in campaign play though, is.
    I want for my units to have the feel of Elit and Imperial, so this is my main approach.
    I dont know BC's units so i cant compare, but Thank you very very much for your wonderful comments!!! :-)
    Last edited by Eldorien88; December 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
    "For Our Part.. We Dreamed of Something Great.."

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Eldorien's [ONCE MOUNTED, NOW DISMOUNTED] Byzantium New Dismounted Units for SS6.4+BftB2.0 [24-12-11 New Units in progress page:4 posts:72 & 79 [almost finalised]

Those units look amazing. Do you have also have intentions of making the Emperor's Guard units? They are in BC and I HATE that they are not in this mod. Please download it and check it out, they are superb. Also, I love those archers! I wish the mod had more units that resembled those. Would love it if you made more detalied units +rep!
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
    Those units look amazing. Do you have also have intentions of making the Emperor's Guard units? They are in BC and I HATE that they are not in this mod. Please download it and check it out, they are superb. Also, I love those archers! I wish the mod had more units that resembled those. Would love it if you made more detalied units +rep!
    Glad to know you like 'em Helmersen, i really appreciate it!

As for the Emperor's Guard unit, never seen it, but i understand that BC team must have done some really good job..
    Regarding to that matter the easiest thing to do, is propably watch some youtube videos and maybe have some clue about the unit you mention !

Your suggestions (and everyone's, as always) will be taken into account!

Hey love the mod but for the scholorri, if their gonna be two handed swordsmen, can you take out their sword sheath cuz it kind of looks odd = /

Also if I download this version, when you release ur new version, will it overwrite over the old one? or do i need to redownload>

BC bodyguards
    Last edited by hospitaller13; January 03, 2012 at 03:35 AM.

Civis

Amazing work! the dismounted Cavalarii are perfect! Any chance this mod could be compatible with Serbian Hussars awesome map mod?

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

yes, please make those bodyguard units! The Emperor's Guard are basically the bodyguard unit only on foot
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

Quote Originally Posted by Hydra82 View Post
    Hey love the mod but for the scholorri, if their gonna be two handed swordsmen, can you take out their sword sheath cuz it kind of looks odd = /
    The Scholarii are better (to my taste) two-handed, of course if people like them one handed probably i will make it so.. :-)
    As for the sheath its there by will, but i have missed the textures to be honest, so it will be corrected in the next version!
    Btw, i am thinking of starting a poll about which units/versions you like better and why, in order to apply them in my future main update.

Also if I download this version, when you release ur new version, will it overwrite over the old one? or do i need to redownload>
    Yes, when the new version will be released it will overwrite the old one, unfortunatelly.. But this will take some time cause i am progressing slowly due to lack of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassanid Saxon View Post
    Amazing work! the dismounted Cavalarii are perfect! Any chance this mod could be compatible with Serbian Hussars awesome map mod?
    Thank you man!
    SH's mod is a great one and it would be even greater if both mods were combined all together but i don't think this is going to happen (at least not in the near future) 'cause SH's mod is based on SS6.4 and my mod is based on BftB 2.0, this means that i would have to re-focus to SS6.4 solo..

@Hospitaller13 and @Helmersen

I can see why you like the particular unit so much and i must say that they are great! But, i don't know what are the permissions if any..
    On the other hand maybe i will use the BC's unit as an inspiration to a new one! This is something that i prefer! :-)
    Last edited by Eldorien88; January 03, 2012 at 03:39 PM.

Civis

no worries about your mod and SHs, it was just a pipe dream on my part! So I'm having the most random problem now. Your mod used to work perfectly for me with SS 6.4 plus Bftb plus bftb hotfix, but since I reinstalled SS 6.4 (which I do every so often) it has only been partially working. I installed the mod over the data files and deleted the strings file in data/text, but the only units I have access to are your Scoutatoi Spearmen, Scoutatoi Swordsmen and Spathiarii Tou Vasileos (those mail gorgots and face masks really make them look more "Roman" btw). Strangely, the units you had deleted to make room for the dismounted cav troops (The Armenians, Contaratoi and miltia javelins) are all still present in the game...should I reinstall BftB and start over?

Quote Originally Posted by Sassanid Saxon View Post
    no worries about your mod and SHs, it was just a pipe dream on my part! So I'm having the most random problem now. Your mod used to work perfectly for me with SS 6.4 plus Bftb plus bftb hotfix, but since I reinstalled SS 6.4 (which I do every so often) it has only been partially working. I installed the mod over the data files and deleted the strings file in data/text, but the only units I have access to are your Scoutatoi Spearmen, Scoutatoi Swordsmen and Spathiarii Tou Vasileos (those mail gorgots and face masks really make them look more "Roman" btw). Strangely, the units you had deleted to make room for the dismounted cav troops (The Armenians, Contaratoi and miltia javelins) are all still present in the game...should I reinstall BftB and start over?
    If i get you right you have reinstalled ss6.4 and then my mod without installing BftB2.0? If that is what you did, then of course my mod would not work properly. You have to re install in the correct order as you did before.
    Meaning ss6.4 then BftB2.0 + hotfix and then my mod!

Civis

Sorry I explained that poorly, I believe I installed them in the right order (ss 6.4 then BftB2.0 + hotfix and then your mod). Its just strange becuae its giving me those three units of yours but not the rest...oh well, I'll just reinstall SS again and do it over, I really want to do a Byzantine late era campaign with those new units, I've always been a fan of infantry heavy armies and can now do that with Rhomania thanks to your mod!

Ok then, I hope it will work for you this time!
    Just remember to do a clean installation (delete everything first and then reinstall) and i think it will go smoothly!

Hey btw, if your going to take out the units, I dont think its a good idea to take out the Contaratoi or Aconstitae as they are the bread and butter for the Byzantines for great deal of the campaign, and if you play BGR, they are THE BREAD AND BUTTER. The mercenaries I guess make sense but do you think its possible to either just keep the Contaratoi at least and take out a random mercenary in the middle of nowhere like "axemen" for example.

Also this is just a consideration, I think that if your gonna take out mercenaries, maybe you should choose like non significant ones such as "huntsman" or axeman or what not as the Armernians had a massive role in Byzantine history and army as a great deal of Byzantine soldiers were armernian so soldiers that have a significant history in that area or as mercenaries should stay and the undistinguished ones be axed.

Just a thought, keep up the great work!

Hey btw, if your going to take out the units, I dont think its a good idea to take out the Contaratoi or Aconstitae as they are the bread and butter for the Byzantines for great deal of the campaign, and if you play BGR, they are THE BREAD AND BUTTER. The mercenaries I guess make sense but do you think its possible to either just keep the Contaratoi at least and take out a random mercenary in the middle of nowhere like "axemen" for example.

Also this is just a consideration, I think that if your gonna take out mercenaries, maybe you should choose like non significant ones such as "huntsman" or axeman or what not as the Armernians had a massive role in Byzantine history and army as a great deal of Byzantine soldiers were armernian so soldiers that have a significant history in that area or as mercenaries should stay and the undistinguished ones be axed.

Just a thought, keep up the great work!
    I agree with you Hydra, this is something that i am planning to do in the main update. My thought was to keep at least acontistae and maybe contaratoi, i am saying maybe because scoutatoi spearmen are well fitted for a front line unit and in order to gain some unit slots i prefer keeping them instead of contaratoi which are really weak. As for Armenians i am planning of adding them back to the mod for the exact reasons that you have mentioned, and instead exclude pilgrims, maybe mercenary ribaults, and peasant archers.. I must say that your suggestions about huntsmen are good , never thought of them, they will be considered! Thanks for your ideas !
    Last edited by Eldorien88; January 04, 2012 at 07:54 AM.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

For inspiration look at Polycarps submod here, he took out loads of units among them Sherwood archers, Those peasant units and loads of others.

Quote Originally Posted by eldorien88 View Post

I can see why you like the particular unit so much and i must say that they are great! But, i don't know what are the permissions if any..
    On the other hand maybe i will use the BC's unit as an inspiration to a new one! This is something that i prefer! :-)
    Absolutly the bodyguard needs to be changed, even a minor improvement would be much better than the current model. New units look great by the way.

will the new units be save compatible? also possiblity for early campiagn compatbilty?
    Last edited by hospitaller13; January 05, 2012 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    For inspiration look at Polycarps submod here, he took out loads of units among them Sherwood archers, Those peasant units and loads of others.
    Yes i know this submod, its a very good work! thanks for suggesting

Quote Originally Posted by hospitaller13 View Post
    Absolutly the bodyguard needs to be changed, even a minor improvement would be much better than the current model. New units look great by the way.

I am with you on that, absolutely! But my thinking about the Byzantine Bodyguards is to make mounted the new version of Spatharii tou Basileos as in the version of post#72 page#4. I would like to have your opinions about this..

Quote Originally Posted by hospitaller13 View Post
    will the new units be save compatible? also possiblity for early campiagn compatbilty?

As i have mentioned in a previous post, unfortunately not! Because the files altered conflict with the currently posted and i have made a lot of changes already. Despite that, i am planning of excluding different units than before and also i want my mod to have the latest updates from BftB 2.0 as they were lately posted by Caesar!
    I know this is not good news, as i am a player also and compatibility is something that matters. But we have to choose: A better campaign with the latest updates and better units or stay outdated..
    My main focus is on Late era for the time being and that's why heavy infantry units are produced mostly!
    All i can say for now for those enjoying my project is to have fun with their gameplay as is, because the main update is not going to come very soon due to the fact that i have a lot of things going in my Real Life this period and i am progressing really really slow..
    But be alert guys 'cause you never know..
    Last edited by Eldorien88; January 05, 2012 at 05:39 PM.

Back with news people!!!
    The week passed i have managed to work with the coming main version of my project and i think the following week i will be able to release it hopefuly!
    There will be new units for both mounted and dismounted, new bodyguards and better heavy units and new excluded units [Not Armenians this time.. but mercs instead]
    The project is going to be more cohesive and compact than before..
    Greetings to all!!!