Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Eldorien's [MOUNTED and DISMOUNTED] Byzantium Units Reforged v1.0 for SS6.4+BftB2.0 [Released 11-02-2012]

Eldorien88's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Eldorien's [ONCE MOUNTED, NOW DISMOUNTED] Byzantium New Dismounted Units for SS6.4+BftB2.0 [Dism_Archontopoulai v2.0, NEW UPDATE 06-11-11]

Hey to you rcmunro22!
    One question for start.. Have you installed BftB2.0? This project is tested With SS6.4+BftB2.0, not SS6.4 alone..
    "For Our Part.. We Dreamed of Something Great.."

Default Re: Eldorien's [ONCE MOUNTED, NOW DISMOUNTED] Byzantium New Dismounted Units for SS6.4+BftB2.0 [Dism_Archontopoulai v2.0, NEW UPDATE 06-11-11]

AHHH! I'm an idiot. What is Bftb2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by rcmunro22 View Post
    AHHH! I'm an idiot. What is Bftb2.0?
    No worries man, and sorry for the inconvenience..
    BftB2.0 is a great sub-mod for SS6.4. In order to play with my units you need
    to install: 1st.SS.6.4, 2nd.BftB2.0 and then my project. Follow this link below
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=323155
    Last edited by Eldorien88; November 07, 2011 at 08:25 PM.

Will give it a go, thanks again! Looking forward to using you work to re-unite the Roman Empire .

Will give it a go, thanks again! Looking forward to using you work to re-unite the Roman Empire .
    I am sure that you have it! Just install in the right order and go for the Empire!!! If something is wrong after your install i will be glad to reply

Hey man, got it up and running! Looks great, really awesome work. Just a few more questions. Sorry if I don't make sense or miss something been at this for two days now to get my Steam version to this point with the modding.

1. On the Campaign Map I did not see Scholarii and Vasileos in the building browsers anywhere.. is there a trigger or? Forgive me there probably is a trigger of sorts, I am new to SS so not familiar with high tier units.

2. Also from what I understand there's a "roof" or "max" for units that's why you had to remove two of the basica militia style units. Any work arounds for that, would love to have them but understandable if it can't be done. Quite honestly here's a few units I wouldn't mind losing, I know its not all about ME lulz, but in case others agreed with me.

-Levy Archer (Mainly because I know I would never use them in just about any Faction)
    -Alamanoi (Dismounted Latinkon serve the same role IMO and are much much cooler and you did so well with them)
    -Dismounted Pronoiarii (Not that I don't appreciate your work, more that there are several quality swordsmen now and it's not really needed, besides nobles wouldn't want to fight on foot)

Just my thoughts, a big reason for me wanting the basic units in there is so the Faction doesn't feel to UBER. I love the Byzantines I really do, and I agree with that stats on your units, love it in fact and I want them right where they are, I just think having some weaker units back in will help it feel more "natural". Just my 2 cents

On a side note, you have been GREAT and I know it's not your work or your problem but to help fill the void of a low tier unit I want to add the Menaulatoi to the bottom tier (all the way through to top barracks) of both the Castle Barracks and Town Barracks. I know they can be very good when used right, but they arent super elite and would love to have them early.. instead of year 1510.. give me a break.

Can you point me in the right direction on how to change the script to get them right off the bat?

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks again for modded units.. LOVE them.
    Last edited by rcmunro22; November 08, 2011 at 01:52 AM.

Also having this happen.. sorry I must be a huge headache >.<

00:09:25.257 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    00:09:25.257 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    00:09:25.260 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    00:09:25.260 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    00:09:25.261 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    00:09:25.261 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    00:09:25.262 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    00:09:25.262 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    00:09:29.091 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 88, column 36
    Unknown unit type specified: Contaratoi

For some reason it drops to desktop again now. I had it working, all I did was run setup again to remove watch towers from the late era campaign and now no matter what I try it drops at start up.

Any ideas?

If I have to reinstall it will be the 4th time and for whatever reason its like pulling teeth every time lulz.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Man, these files can be so touchy, I got it working again, just reinstalled Battle For The Baltic.

Alright so here's an update, it seems that once I alter the SS6.4/BFTB2.0 with your units that if I re-do the setup in my SS6.4 file to change anything about the Late Era Campaign it crashes (been trying to remove guard towers).
    Last edited by rcmunro22; November 08, 2011 at 12:53 AM.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

BftB2 has a different EDB for the main SS campaigns (early and late) which is swapped in and out when SS_Setup is run. Perhaps the backup copies for these campaigns havn't been updated to include eldorian's changes?

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Hey man, got it up and running! Looks great, really awesome work. Just a few more questions. Sorry if I don't make sense or miss something been at this for two days now to get my Steam version to this point with the modding.

1. On the Campaign Map I did not see Scholarii and Vasileos in the building browsers anywhere.. is there a trigger or? Forgive me there probably is a trigger of sorts, I am new to SS so not familiar with high tier units.

2. Also from what I understand there's a "roof" or "max" for units that's why you had to remove two of the basica militia style units. Any work arounds for that, would love to have them but understandable if it can't be done. Quite honestly here's a few units I wouldn't mind losing, I know its not all about ME lulz, but in case others agreed with me.

-Levy Archer (Mainly because I know I would never use them in just about any Faction)
    -Alamanoi (Dismounted Latinkon serve the same role IMO and are much much cooler and you did so well with them)
    -Dismounted Pronoiarii (Not that I don't appreciate your work, more that there are several quality swordsmen now and it's not really needed, besides nobles wouldn't want to fight on foot)

Just my thoughts, a big reason for me wanting the basic units in there is so the Faction doesn't feel to UBER. I love the Byzantines I really do, and I agree with that stats on your units, love it in fact and I want them right where they are, I just think having some weaker units back in will help it feel more "natural". Just my 2 cents

On a side note, you have been GREAT and I know it's not your work or your problem but to help fill the void of a low tier unit I want to add the Menaulatoi to the bottom tier (all the way through to top barracks) of both the Castle Barracks and Town Barracks. I know they can be very good when used right, but they arent super elite and would love to have them early.. instead of year 1510.. give me a break.

Can you point me in the right direction on how to change the script to get them right off the bat?

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks again for modded units.. LOVE them.
    Sorry for the delayed response but i had job obligations... So coming to our subject..

1. On the campaign map you will not see these units 'cause they will become avalaible only when you build the 'Scholae Barracks'
    which can be achieved when advancing a Large City to a Huge City. Thats why by starting you are able to use Dismounded Scholarii and Dismounded Archontopoulai
    (along with some other of my units that you can find in other cities-castles) but not recruit them, yet.

2. You got it right. This is exactly the reason i had to remove some levy units from the Empire and some mercenaries from around,
    due to the limitation of 500 units currently in the EDU (export_descr_unit).

3. To the Dismounded Pronoiarii, i see your point but i wanted to dismount all the mounted units that were my favorite and so i did.
    As you have already noticed, my project is mainly centered to the units, without meaning that gameplay balance is not considered.

4. Coming to Menaulatoi i agree with you that they are overestimated a little bit,
    but its historically correct to be recruitable so late and thats the reason i didn't change that.
    Now its up to you to put them were you like'em to be, so i will give an examble:
    Open the EDB (export_descr_buildings) found in the data folder and ctrl+f typing Menaulatoi.
    You will notice the following line: recruit_pool "Menaulatoi" 1 0.5 2 0 requires factions { byzantium, } and event_counter first_watch 1.
    Delete the marked red line and copy/paste the first one to what ever building you like better. This is the way you can recruit Menaulatoi to whatever building you prefer and without waiting for the events.

5. As for the crash, try to apply your desired effects before installing my BNDU (BYZANTIUM NEW DISMOUNTED UNITS) .
    So do the set-up first (watchtowers etc..) and lastly install my project. I think this is the hint for geting it to work.

PS. You have given me a great feedback through all your questions and thoughts and it is trully appreciated.
    This is something that this project needs!!! You have earned a (rep) from me!
    Last edited by Eldorien88; November 08, 2011 at 08:42 AM.

Just woke up, gonna go ahead and work on the Menaulatoi and see if I can get everything just right. Thanks for guidance.

Oh btw forgot to say (sorry have been trying so hard to get this all working properly with Steam) that I'm very glad you also gave these units full head armor. After DLing SS6.4 I was extremely impressed with the mod and the Byzantines however when I checked out their units in the Custom Battle setup I gotta say I was really sad to see that most of the infantry such as the line units not having "ninja" head armor bummed me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    BftB2 has a different EDB for the main SS campaigns (early and late) which is swapped in and out when SS_Setup is run. Perhaps the backup copies for these campaigns havn't been updated to include eldorian's changes?
    Where are the back up copies and what would I need to do?

Just woke up, gonna go ahead and work on the Menaulatoi and see if I can get everything just right. Thanks for guidance.

Oh btw forgot to say (sorry have been trying so hard to get this all working properly with Steam) that I'm very glad you also gave these units full head armor. After DLing SS6.4 I was extremely impressed with the mod and the Byzantines however when I checked out their units in the Custom Battle setup I gotta say I was really sad to see that most of the infantry such as the line units not having "ninja" head armor bummed me out.
    Hope your work with Menaulatoi go smoothly! If not, don't be afraid to ask again. Regarding to set-ups with different options other than watch-towers etc.. these matters have been under examination as we speak. Remember that this game is meant for enjoying, so go ahead and have fun with it. !
    Last edited by Eldorien88; November 08, 2011 at 10:48 AM.

Alright eldorien, I have confirmed that without your files I am getting that quick drop to desktop with BFTB2. Interesting, also it appears only to happen after adjusting the setup with BFTB2. So it seems I can run the full SS6.4 and BFTB2 however if I re-run the new setup it no longer works... so odd. I'm gonna get this to work, it's killing me lulz.

11:48:29.196 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    11:48:29.196 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    11:48:29.199 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    11:48:29.200 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    11:48:29.200 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    11:48:29.201 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    11:48:29.201 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    11:48:29.201 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    11:48:33.014 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 85, column 166
    unit(Spear Militia) does not match up to the ownership for faction(sweden)
    11:48:33.014 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 96, column 166
    unit(Crossbow Militia) does not match up to the ownership for faction(sweden)
    11:48:33.015 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 141, column 166
    11:48:33.015 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 152, column 166
    11:48:33.016 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 197, column 166
    11:48:33.016 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 208, column 166
    11:48:33.019 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS6.3/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 340, column 33
    Unknown unit type specified: Riddare

I have noticed that when I install SS6.4 the installer likes to point the file to med2/mods/ss6.3/ss6.3 so I have been changing it just med2/mods/ss6.3 and 6.4 works full, maybe thats affecting BFTB2.0? I am checking it out now reinstalling AGAIN . UPDATE - this doesn't matter actually it doesn't install the SS6.4 that way, not a shocker.. was just trying something different.

The hope that I can use your units in a glorious campaign keeps me working el .
    Last edited by rcmunro22; November 08, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Sometimes you have to specify manually the appropriate folder to be installed. You are getting it right till now..
    Remember, when you have finished installing SS6.4 and BftB2.0, launch the BftB set-up, apply your desired changes and then install my project.
    This is the right order installing and you should not face any troubles hopefully. I really wish you the best!!!!!!
    Last edited by Eldorien88; November 08, 2011 at 11:13 AM.

OK-UPDATE

Alright el, sorry I have been all over the place but this is relevant for your files.

After applying the bftb2 hotfix the bftb's setup worked fine and got it to stop dropping to my desktop. I ran the setup then and made the changes I wanted.. I then put your unit files in as per instructions and the game worked BUT the Late Era Campaign had guard towers in all provinces (I had switched that option off in the setup b4 applying your files).

It SEEMs that your files require that late Campaign to have the tower option enabled or it will drops my game when I re-run the setup. This also makes me wonder about the other options like the AI once your files are applied.

At this point unless theres a solution soon im just gonna play it with the darn towers, not worth going crazy but it would be nice to have that option off with your units.
    Last edited by rcmunro22; November 08, 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Oh I know, was just trying to let it do what it wanted hoping it would change the situation. Whenever I install it all properly it drops to desktop on start up if adjust the setup file after installing BFTB2.. any ideas?

Sorry I will take this issue to that forum, I'm clouding up your thread bud.. I have proven its not your files.

I'm an idiot and almost ashamed to admit this.. found the problem, got ahead myself last night.. didn't install the hotfix for bftb2.0

UPDATE- still crashes to desktop.. quite annoying.. even with the hot fix..
    Okay try this one for the last time! Install SS6.4 DONT RUN THE SET-UP AND CLOSE. Then the same for BftB 2.0 DONT RUN THE SET-UP AND CLOSE. Then apply the hotfix and try to open the game and see if it crashes, if not you are on the way to my project. run BftB set-up make your changes and then apply my mod.

Ok will do, I appreciate your patience.

Alright el, I did that to the tee, perfectly. Here's what I'm saying bro.. prior to applying your mod when I ran the BftB set-up (just b4 only your mod only, no other point in the entire installation process) I turned Towers OFF. After applying your mod the Late Era Campaign has towers..

Now I'm gonna leave the darn towers, they aren't worth it to me.. I'm gonna play it as is and not run the Set-up again like I have been.

See.. what I have been doing is noticing that after applying your mod the towers are on the map despite me having turned them off, so I would re-run the set-up to turn them off like I want it and does the drop to desk top.

Just an FYI (for your information) at this point.. with your mod it seems you need to have the towers on along with whatever late era set-up script you have in there I would assume (by that I mean AI and the such).
    Last edited by rcmunro22; November 08, 2011 at 12:23 PM.

@ rcmuncro22: I think that the problem regarding the choices during the set-up of BftB still occurs. Meaning at this time the project is tested and by default starts with Gracul's AI, Permanent Arrows and Late Era Watchtowers.

I am able to have my set-up options work (such as Towers off) b4 applying your modded files.

Not a huge deal at this point, I would rather have your great work than let the towers and AI bother me.

Would be nice however to have my cake and eat it too.

Got everything working including the Menaulatoi, the "ctrl+f" helps quite a bit! Thanks once again for all your help!
    You have definatley earned a couple Reps from me! How do I give them lulz!
    Last edited by rcmunro22; November 08, 2011 at 01:11 PM.