Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) v2.2 [3.2 compatible]

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) [UPDATE: now 3.1 compatible]

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    There is no limit. You could do it a hundred times in the same turn if you wanted to.

But, as the OP mentions, they always lose their experience. And not possible during a siege: before is fine, which is what you said ... just making that crystal clear.
    Oh so resetting a bodyguard resets XP to 0 for that bodyguard? But the general himself keeps all the piety and what-not?
    My machine:
    MOBO: Z270 GAMING M3
    CPU: Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 2666
    GPU: Zotac GTX 970
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO + 5 HDD

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) [UPDATE: now 3.1 compatible]

Yep. The switch is throwing away the old bodyguard and giving him an entirely new one, starting from scratch. So zero experience, fully replenished (max soldiers for that unit) and at the base armour level (any upgrades they had will be lost).

The general himself is unchanged.

EDIT: meaning: no loss of traits, retinue, attributes (command, piety, etc.), portrait, strat model, battle model or hero ability.
    Last edited by Withwnar; February 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM.

Yep. The switch is throwing away the old bodyguard and giving him an entirely new one, starting from scratch. So zero experience, fully replenished (max soldiers for that unit) and at the base armour level (any upgrades they had will be lost).

The general himself is unchanged.

EDIT: meaning: no loss of traits, retinue, attributes (command, piety, etc.), portrait, strat model, battle model or hero ability.
    *EDIT* Wow thanks for the mod man! It's nice having Elrond with some useful bodyguard!

But is there anyway to upgrade what the bodyguard is wearing?
    Last edited by zorphon; February 25, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
    My machine:

Quote Originally Posted by zorphon View Post
    is there anyway to upgrade what the bodyguard is wearing?
    I assumed that you meant armour upgrade but now I am not so sure. Either way the answer is no: the script can't know what armour upgrade the bodyguard has before the switch so it can't reapply it after the switch. If you mean change the appearance of the units then no: that would mean creating a new unit which this submod steers well away from.

If you do mean armour upgrades then the only possible solution - other than upgrading them yourself after the switch ( I haven't tried that) - is for the script to give them a particular upgrade level during the switch. i.e. Always the same upgrade level, but this could be different for different units. That's not a bad idea. I'll look into it but it will be a while.

I assumed that you meant armour upgrade but now I am not so sure. Either way the answer is no: the script can't know what armour upgrade the bodyguard has before the switch so it can't reapply it after the switch. If you mean change the appearance of the units then no: that would mean creating a new unit which this submod steers well away from.

If you do mean armour upgrades then the only possible solution - other than upgrading them yourself after the switch ( I haven't tried that) - is for the script to give them a particular upgrade level during the switch. i.e. Always the same upgrade level, but this could be different for different units. That's not a bad idea. I'll look into it but it will be a while.
    Oh I was hoping that armor upgrades in the settlement you switch their bodyguard in would apply to them. I know that would probably be a difficult script to create, but that would sure be cool! And it could create some strategy into where you switch their bodyguard at.
    My machine:

Good idea. It might be possible. I'll look at that option too. Have some rep.

Yes, that's good. But I think it is important that I can switch my bodyguard to a dismounted one before a siege (so I want to do that everywhere).

Dominion of the Sword - Magyar Department - Coordinator, PSF research leader
    The Great Conflicts - Magyar tribes researcher
    Heiðinn Veðr: Total War- Magyar tribes and Kingdom of Hungary researcher

Quote Originally Posted by kiskompi View Post
    Yes, that's good. But I think it is important that I can switch my bodyguard to a dismounted one before a siege (so I want to do that everywhere).
    Remember your bodyguard loses experience so it's not the best idea. I like making my generals archer bodyguards because they can just stand in one spot but deal damage without getting hurt.
    My machine:

This allow you to add more tactics into your game.

Loosing experience isn't a problem since you can easily recover it when your general has a mounted bodyguard.

how would it work with MOS 1.1?
    also what do you mean with 'built in 3.1'?

"Built on 3.1" --> "It does not know about other factions, characters, settlements and units that other submods/compilations introduce."

It won't work for any factions, settlements, etc. that MOS adds.

Ah I see.

zacen299's Avatar Senator

Okay well I'm thinking of downloading this but from the thumbnails alone I have two quesitons. One: How did you create the Mumakil General? and Two: Is the Nazgul glitched or can you just not see his hand holding the sword, cause I couldn't? (Yes I know that question mark ruins grammar but it's still a question and cause I couldn't isn't a sentence as far as I know. [No I'm not accusing you of possibly saying that I'm just paranoid :3])

Mumakil General: the same as any other general: a general with Mumakil as his bodyguard unit.

Nazgul: yes, his sword is not aligned with his hand. It happens with some model/unit combinations. e.g. I experimented with Nazgul + Troll BG and his sword was floating about a metre to his right, where it would be if he was himself a Troll.

I haven't tested every combination that this submod offers but I have only seen this problem with the Nazgul + Dismounted BNs. Perhaps Nazgul + Dismounted anything has this problem. I can't recall if I tested others. But dismounted Gandalf is fine.

Something to do with animations perhaps? I really don't know. Even if I did I doubt that it's fixable, certainly not by this submod which does not touch the units or battle models.

Ok well that answers one of my questions, but what I meant about the mumakil was aren't there no mumakil generals? If so how did you get him to stand up there without it glitching? If there are mumakil generals I'm sorry about that I keep Harad weak in most games so I rarely see anything of theirs.

It answered both questions: Mumakil are not a special case. This submod gives an existing general a new unit for his bodyguard, including bodyguard options that don't currently exist in the game. e.g. Dismounted Black Numenoreans. Mumakil work like any other unit.

I'm not sure what you mean by "glitching". The screenshot shows the result of using the switcher to give a general - any general - a Mumakil bodyguard, in the same way as any other unit for the bodyguard.

Sorry It just seemed (to me) that there really wouldn't be a way to get them to stand up there without glitching it just seemed (again to me) that their models would mess up when going up there or they'd try to do something they couldn't like maybe swinging their swords like they were fighting when being where they are they couldn't.

I don't know. It seemed to behave okay but I only gave it a quick test. I suspect that if there were any serious problems then someone would have mentioned it by now.

Maskedblood's Avatar Laetus

Neat idea..I always wandered why this was not included in the actual total war games I think it would have made real sense..Anyway kudos on it works good =]

Thanks Maskedblood. M1TW had the ability to dismount/remount mounted units which was pretty cool. A shame it was removed in RTW/M2TW. It was this that inspired the submod.