Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) v2.2 [3.2 compatible]

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) [RELEASED]

Back then it was less characters and far less settlements: the script is now much larger plus some other monitors to handle trait checks etc.

The monitors themselves are fairly harmless so far as turn end processing goes (I believe) except perhaps CharacterSelected. I have purposely avoided CharacterTurnStart/End - the biggest turn end killer so I've heard, which stands to reason given the number of characters on a map.

The script is about 80,000 lines but 99.3% of it is all in one monitor - the main, process-heavy one - and that only fires when the player begins a switch. Never triggered during turn end.

But all of this script still needs to be read and kept in memory by the game. So the question is how much does this 'chewing up memory' affect turn ends? I haven't tested it but I did test this kind of thing when building the Palantiri which is about 50,000 lines and similar design (all the real processing in one huge, player-triggered-only monitor). I don't have the numbers on hand (buried in a PM somewhere) but it was something like half a second added to the total turn end time. And some of that would have been caused by Palantiri trait/anc/other triggers, not the hugeness alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
    Maybe I can possibly help out in making it compatible with 3.1.
    I'm not sure how much has changed that would affect it. Character names, unit names, different bodyguard options including new units, hero abilities (these are reapplied by the script), settlement internal names and locations, new settlements, ...

When I tried running the tool recently it crashed, due to a peculiar entry in 3.1's settlement/region name file: it has {Gondor}Gondor at the top. I need to adjust the tool to allow for this kind of thing; a redesign of how to read the files.

So thanks for the offer Baron but it would be a heroic effort just to figure what needs to change, even before getting to making the changes. The tool makes very short work of it, so it makes sense to let the tool do it. I 'just' need to fix it.

I have to say though that response to the release was poor (though the response to the idea was good ). Not many downloads and absolutely no feedback, apart from killersmurf. Hence being low on my priority list. I spent a ridiculous amount of time making it; if interest in a 3.1 version is low (i.e. few requests for it) then my interest in more time spent is low too. I'd much rather spend the time on new things.

Baron Samedi's Avatar Citizen

Muchos gracias for the answer Withwnar.

I totally understand you are only willing to put a lot of effort and time in the feature again provided there is enough demand for it from the community.
    Under the patronage of MasterBigAb

Thanks for the answers! Now I want to learn modding, only to do that.
    edit: Baron Samedi! Can I hope that you will implement this mod to the yours?
    Last edited by kiskompi; January 01, 2012 at 10:56 AM.

Crikey! I put a warning in the OP that this is NOT 3.1 compatible and the downloads jump by 1100? What would have happened if I said that it was?

Perhaps it was all by the same person.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Thats one determined person

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I suppose now I brace myself for his 1100 posts saying that it doesn't work.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

I look forward to this being compatible with the current release -- this is a fantastic piece of work!
    Especially for this old engine where you cannot simply dismount any mounted units. And playing factions like Dale where the bodyguard is not only not mounted, but also foot archers wholly susceptible to a mounted attack, it would be a wonderful thing to provide a few key characters with horses!

Perhaps it wasn't damanded when it was released because a lot of people where actually waiting for v3.0. Well at least the was my case :p.

I have to say that I'm very interestes in this mod.

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) [UPDATE: now 3.1 compatible]

New version released: now 3.1 compatible.

Not many changes from the 2.1 version...

Given the slower growth in 3.1 compared to 2.1 I have dropped the town level requirement from Minor City to Large Town. It knows about the new 3.1 settlements and on the whole there are fewer characters that this works on: 2.1 had a few that were spawned at campaign start (for capturing settlements?) which are no longer there.

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) [UPDATE: now 3.1 compatible]

YaY!!!

Thank you for updating this to 3.1. I'm going to install it right now!!!

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

excellent sub mod! i ll test it in my next campaign,u sure is not compatible with saved games?
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Quote Originally Posted by dannyalex View Post
    u sure is not compatible with saved games?
    Positive. Campaign script changes never are, sadly.

Great idea...Adds to role-playing and spice things up
    Will try it later for sure...

EDIT: If I added some "named" character to few factions , this would still work properly ?
    Last edited by Lacedaemonian; February 21, 2012 at 06:22 AM.
    Dico tibi verum, libertas optima rerum, nunquam servili sub nexu vivito, fili
    Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacedaemonian View Post
    If I added some "named" character to few factions , this would still work properly ?
    Adding new names won't break anything. But this won't work on those new names - if that's what you mean - only the names in the list in the OP.

I modified units type for majority starting generals...will that be a problem ?

That should be fine. But the switcher will only offer the units in the list. Once you switch a general's bodyguard using this you won't be able to switch back to what you have for him at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    That should be fine. But the switcher will only offer the units in the list. Once you switch a general's bodyguard using this you won't be able to switch back to what you have for him at the moment.
    Of course..Thank you for fast reply

Can you switch the bodyguard as much as possible?

For example, switch Legolas to dismounted bodyguard (missile) before a siege, but switch him back to cavalry after?
    My machine:
    MOBO: Z270 GAMING M3
    CPU: Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 2666
    GPU: Zotac GTX 970
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO + 5 HDD

Yep, thats possible.

Just remember that this can only be done in large towns and above.

There is no limit. You could do it a hundred times in the same turn if you wanted to.

But, as the OP mentions, they always lose their experience. And not possible during a siege: before is fine, which is what you said ... just making that crystal clear.