Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) v2.2 [3.2 compatible]

Protestant Knight's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher [WIP]

Great work Withwnar are you going to do this for 3.0 when it comes out as well + rep

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsTemplar View Post
    I think the character should need 1 turn to respwan instead:
    The bodyguards are not robots awaiting use, y'know?
    And thus a little bit less 'abusing' and have you take consideration of danger(spwaning in enemy control zone)
    Plus the 'reality' of moving back at full speed.
    It depends how you look at it. Are they a new unit or are they just the same bodyguard guys but now on horses? If the latter then how long does it take to saddle a horse and put on different armour?

To be honest, I'm wary of sending the character off map for any length of time. A lot can happen in just one turn. e.g. The respawn location may no longer be under your control so without a lot of extra script to deal with that situation you could end up with the character not being able to return.

Good point about the enemy zone of control. I am currently checking for respawn-settlement-under-siege. I'll experiment with the ZOC case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliç Alì View Post
    Just a suggestion, I believe it would me more fair if you can swithch BG unit if the character is in the capital city only. Meaning he is equpting for a campaign, and he will use the same unit until the campaign is over.
    And somebody could use the trick to switch everyvody with the cheaper BG unless they need any good one.
    I looked into capital cities but abandoned the idea: too difficult for the script to know, at least without a lot of extra monitors. Plus it would mean that the script would need to be able to respawn at any city on the map (any settlement could be the capital). Fixed locations, despite the drawbacks, massively simplifies the script.

Quote Originally Posted by Pentecostal Knight View Post
    Great work Withwnar are you going to do this for 3.0 when it comes out as well + rep
    Thanks PK. I'd be mad not to, right? As it stands at the moment it should be compatible anyway but it might need tweaking if settlements have moved, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~

I have since had another thought regarding respawn locations. Instead of one per faction make it so that certain cities can do it (for any faction). e.g. About 20 across the map but they are fixed. So long as the character is governor at the time it should be possible to just click on the settlement and then the character respawns at that settlement with his new bodyguard.

This would avoid the teleport-back-to-base behaviour but of course means that the new bodyguard appears 'out of thin air'. But again, only if you see the new bodyguard as new men. If you see them as the same men but now on horses then this makes more sense anyway: why go all the way back to Bree for some horses?

I haven't tried it yet so it might not work.
    Last edited by Withwnar; October 25, 2011 at 03:00 AM.

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher [WIP] - demo video added

... looking promising. A sample video has been added to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    ... zone of control. ... I'll experiment with the ZOC case.
    Enemy zone of control is not an issue. It does not prevent the character from reentering the settlement.
    Last edited by Withwnar; October 25, 2011 at 08:43 AM.

Leggy's Avatar Semisalis

It'll be compatible with every mod, no? MOS for an example.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Awesome video.
    However, how are the player supposed to know how many units are there for select/still available?
    A list like this:
    Code:
    > Grey Company
        Dunedain Rangers
        BR Dunedain
        Mounted Dunedain
    And so on, with the mark indicating the units currently shown.
    I think that can help players to have easier time using it.
    Aure entuluva!

Baron Samedi's Avatar Citizen

Great idea Withwnar. I love the concept.
    Under the patronage of MasterBigAb

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

-

Quote Originally Posted by Leggy View Post
    It'll be compatible with every mod, no? MOS for an example.
    It should be compatible with everything. So long as other submods are not removing any characters or units that this is trying to use.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsTemplar View Post
    how are the player supposed to know how many units are there for select/still available?
    A list like this:
    Code:
    > Grey Company
        Dunedain Rangers
        BR Dunedain
        Mounted Dunedain
    And so on, with the mark indicating the units currently shown.
    I think that can help players to have easier time using it.
    It isn't possible to do that kind of thing with scroll messages. Each faction will have an intro scroll that explains which characters and units this will work on. If the wrong character or unit is chosen then it's harmless: just do it again.

The multiple-settlement idea is working nicely. I'll be using this method instead of the teleport-back-to-base one. OP updated.

I have also added the character/unit list (so far) to the OP.
    Last edited by Withwnar; October 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM.

Moneybags14's Avatar Ordinarius

Great work Withwnar!

Another piece of brilliant scripting work.

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

Small suggestion: Only Imrahil should get Dol Amroth BG, but the list should have dismounted DA knights added, only for Imrahil

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    Small suggestion: Only Imrahil should get Dol Amroth BG, but the list should have dismounted DA knights added, only for Imrahil
    Good one.

How about this for an idea...

Any of the Gondor characters can have Swan/DA Knights but only if it is done in Dol Amroth. I could make it so that Imrahil can do it anywhere. This would let Imrahil mount/dismount his bodyguard anywhere.

The drawback is that anyone else would need to head back to Dol Amroth to change to either of these. e.g. If Faramir has Swan Knights and he wants to dismount them then he needs to go back to Dol Amroth. Or if he has Swan Knights, then changes to Rangers (anywhere) and then wants Swan Knighrs again then to DA he must go.

@Moneybags and the rest
    Thanks for the compliments and reps.

Khales's Avatar Ducenarius

Brilliant idea! One more submod that prevents me from editing several files each time a submod has an update. Good stuff for my laziness! +rep

Wargs for OotmM and OoG could also be possible but the current warg units are be a bit too weak to represent a bodyguard unit

And in my opinion swan knights should only be optional for Imrahil. Special units for a special guy.

Captain Zoran's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Khales View Post
    Brilliant idea! One more submod that prevents me from editing several files each time a submod has an update. Good stuff for my laziness! +rep

Wargs for OotmM and OoG could also be possible but the current warg units are be a bit too weak to represent a bodyguard unit

And in my opinion swan knights should only be optional for Imrahil. Special units for a special guy.
    And what about Imrahil's sons? Surely, should the old geezer die, his son firstborn, now would be Prince of Dol Amroth -> Thus have an Swan Knight BG. It's available for abuse yes, but it would be a nice roleplaying addition.
    The friendly neighbourhood hobo with a shotgun of Westeros: Total War, bringing the Game of Thrones to life!
    Check out my new LOTR fan(tastic) fiction here: The Accountant's Trial

may i suggest fountain guard for boromir and maybe denethor
    btw great idea +rep

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zoran View Post
    And what about Imrahil's sons? Surely, should the old geezer die, his son firstborn, now would be Prince of Dol Amroth -> Thus have an Swan Knight BG. It's available for abuse yes, but it would be a nice roleplaying addition.
    If conditional change(if have that ancillary/trait, then open up the selection) is possible, I would be so awed.
    Random general got 'Rangers of Ithillien' ancillay>Rangers BG.
    Add so much to the gameplay.
    Aure entuluva!

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Thats impossible, because this submod sends the character you want to change the bodyguard from off map and that requires a named or labeled character.

Could it be possible, as a general gets more and more advanced as a general, more bodygaurds unlock. (E.G. for Mordor, if a general has +6 dread, they can have Black bodyguard)

current warg units are be a bit too weak to represent a bodyguard unit
    True but people seem to want them nonetheless. The solution would be to make a new Warg bodyguard unit (higher stats) but I won't be adding any new units here.

When it's released I'll include instructions on how to change it so that a different unit can be used.

Good call. I'll make it for Imrahil alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zoran View Post
    And what about Imrahil's sons?
    Who is Imrahil's son? We don't know his name so the script certainly doesn't. The OP mentions this name limitation.
    EDIT: what killersmurf said: the script needs to know his name.

Quote Originally Posted by LethaL View Post
    may i suggest fountain guard for boromir and maybe denethor
    Shouldn't be a problem. I'll put it on the list. It will probably need to be for all characters though: limiting it to one character is simple, more than that starts to get tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoneb View Post
    Could it be possible, as a general gets more and more advanced as a general, more bodygaurds unlock. (E.G. for Mordor, if a general has +6 dread, they can have Black bodyguard)
    Nice idea. Off the top of my head I would have to say no, not possible. I'll give it some thought but it might need to wait for a future version.
    Last edited by Withwnar; October 26, 2011 at 10:39 AM.

Withwnar would this mod be possible for ALL generals??

Even if not I again see you did a GREAT job!

Edit I think I have found the answer in the OP that its not possible. (Maybe yet?? As you're a Genius so you can maybe in the future find someway)
    Last edited by AragornElessar; October 26, 2011 at 10:41 AM.

Borussia Dortmund fan