Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) v2.2 [3.2 compatible]

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) - [3.2 compatible + v1.3.1 bug fix]

The old 1.2 version (TATW 3.1) has been re-added to the OP.

The 1.3.1 versions are identical in their "switcher" content: if the manual merge one isn't working and the vanilla one is then it must be because your merging wasn't done correctly. Or you're using it on a 3.1 install, which sounds likely given your mention of "Barons". I'm not sure why that would crash the game but it's possible.

So, in summary:
    For TATW 3.1 use 1.2.
    For TATW 3.2 use 1.3.1.

If 1.3.1 manual merge on a 3.2 game is crashing then it must be due to a merging error. Check the 1.3.1 vanilla files to see where things have been inserted.

If it still isn't working then attach your manually-merged files here and I'll see if I can spot the problem.

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) - [3.2 compatible + v1.3.1 bug fix]

1.2 crashes on start with Barons, why not put the files of the operating barons?

Kindjal83's Avatar Tiro

Yes,1.2 crashed on starting the campaigns with Baron's, but strangely enough merging the Vanilla Files of 1.3.1 on MOS 1.2 works

Quote Originally Posted by Erkaedy View Post
    1.2 crashes on start with Barons, why not put the files of the operating barons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindjal83 View Post
    Yes,1.2 crashed on starting the campaigns with Baron's, ...
    Baron's, yes, definitely a problem there. 1.2 has been out since Februrary ... if someone had told me that there was a problem with Baron's then I would have looked into it sooner.

When I do a 1.2 manual merge the campaign does start but without any starting message scrolls (= campaign_script problem) and I get this error in the log: "don't recognise this token: end_monitor".

Bizarre. The error line in question is within the BGS script but this same script works just fine in vanilla TATW 3.1.

I have changed the script a bit: the new 1.2.1 is for 3.1 and works in Baron's on my PC. But 1.2 was never "crashing" for me so maybe this still won't work for everyone.

1.3.1 is unchanged: for 3.2 only so will not work with Baron's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindjal83 View Post
    ... strangely enough merging the Vanilla Files of 1.3.1 on MOS 1.2 works
    MOS 1.2 = TATW 3.2 = BGS 1.3.1. It should work. Thanks for confirming that. What is strange is why Baron's doesn't with BGS 1.2. Very odd. By rights the thing I 'fixed' in 1.2.1 should also have been causing problems in every other BGS usage: vanilla, MOS, manual merge or otherwise.

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Do you think the principles of this script could be used for something like "upgrading" a type of unit into another type of unit? Say for instance I have a group of peasants in a city and want to change them to archers for a sum of florins. Might this script be altered to serve that purpose?

This works by sending a general off map and respawning him (to bring him back) with a different bodyguard. So it would only work with characters (not units).

To 'upgrade' a unit as you propose would mean killing the unit and replacing it with something else. Not possible: for one thing individual units can't be destroyed by script... you can only kill ALL units of that type in the faction.

In SAUS the Elven Rangers are upgradeable to a armour-piercing variation. When the upgrade option is accepted all ER units are destroyed and then replaced with the new ones. It only works because the script knows how many had already spawned so it knows how many replacements to spawn, and it can only be done in one settlement. Even with all of those limitations the script is still fairly complicated.

Hey, nice mod

Just one thing, I've changed Boromirs and Faramir's guards to Fountain guards, but they can't run for some reason, using 1.3.1 on a vanilla TaTW 3.2

It seems to be a limitation of these units. They can't run in a custom battle either.

Ahh, once the "Special Ability" (on Faramir) was used, it allowed me to run them.

great idea.And I get a suggestion and a question. My suggestion is increa names in the "name" file, it will decrease the same name probability.And my question is AI have same ability or not?

Thanks for the suggestion. People are free to add more names to decrease the same name probability. But I don't want this submod to be responsible for it. There is a new Executioner submod coming soon that will let you kill anybody in your faction.

No, AI can't do it.

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Very nice submod! You saved my Eriador campaign! (+rep)

Thanks Halvar. I am intrigued: how did it save your campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Thanks Halvar. I am intrigued: how did it save your campaign?
    It didn't feel good to play Aragorn without dismounted Dunedain rangers and so I was looking for a solution...and ended up with your fabulous bodyguard switcher and many Dunedain ranger guarded family members! Well, I had played only a few rounds and restarted with your submod...and it's a lot of fun! It reminds me a bit of the good old Medieval I TW game where it was possible to dismount cavalry troops before battle start...!

Ah. I thought that you meant it was somehow the difference between losing the campaign and remaining alive. But enjoyability is no small thing either.

It reminds me a bit of the good old Medieval I TW game where it was possible to dismount cavalry troops before battle start...!
    That was the original inspiration. Somebody asked if M2TW could do it, which got me to thinking if there was some way to do something similar. It's a pity that the bodyguard resets in numbers and experience each time, plus the lack of names it can work with.

The new Executioner submod can be used with this to get around the same-name problem.

Withwnar's Submod Collection has both submods.

Ah. I thought that you meant it was somehow the difference between losing the campaign and remaining alive. But enjoyability is no small thing either.
    Enjoyability is the biggest thing!

The new Executioner submod can be used with this to get around the same-name problem.

Withwnar's Submod Collection has both submods.
    Is the executioner submod save game compatible? Can I install and use it within a campaign running...? Only for the case of equal names...

No, not save game compatible I'm afraid.

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) v2.0 - now works on all generals [3.2 compatible]

New version: v2.0. All characters!

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) v2.0 - now works on all generals [3.2 compatible]

Hey Withwnar, I installed your new BGS2.0...just copied the data folder into my mod folder and started an OotMM campaign but I can't start the switching process with SHIFT+C...what went wrong? I only installed BGS2.0 but not WSC1.3...