Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Francia Orientalis.

Default Re: [Preview] Francia Orientalis.

Sure, in short:

The scola as an elite unit of the Carolingian military is mostly an Osprey-ism, as it was in an Osprey volume or a similar publication and now everyone believes it, perpetuating the idea it was an elite unit only.

It is not an entirely absurd idea. scolae could appear in a military context, but that is a gross simplification of what they were. They were indeed bodies for schooling and training young nobles in all necessary arts and sciences, including warfare. There were many different scolae, some probably had a stronger military focus than other, and it is not wrong likening them to an officers’ school or cadet academy. Indeed members of a royal scola, not the whole scola, could form a royal bodyguard. But scolaealso included people exempt from military service, monks. Unsurprisingly, the scola palatinae served as role model for Carolingian monastery schools.

Consequently, as far as the military use of these bodies is concerned, they were really seldom as such on the battlefield and all these instances (of which I am aware) were before TGC’s timeframe. Lastly, it must be not forgotten that the most famous example of a military unit called scola, the scola alae recorded by Notker in his Gesta Karoli, is evidently a simple transcription error.

Since we have ample evidence for elite cavalry organized in scarae, and since there were also scolae that were entirely nonmilitary, I chose to put an end to this Osprey-ism. Should I have missed contemporary texts clearly identifying scolae as tactical bodies in battle, I am of course eager to know about them!

In a sense, we have the scolae in anyway, for their members were usually called pueri.
    Ρέζου λογίου πελάτης (Client of the eloquent Rez)

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Thank you!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

Amazing preview! I'm speechless ! +rep

Matthæus's Avatar Knez Bribirski

great work abs !

matmohair1's Avatar Domesticus

will they get similar units to the Norman faction after the 10th century ?

the HRE/Ottonian roster cavalry will be of similar style as Normans, early medieval knights.
    there will also be a set of semi-professional levy units, which will close the gap between East Frank weak infantry and heavy cavalry. basically the HRE/Ottonian roster will be better balanced than the EF one.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Very instructive and very interesting subject. I'm going to take an eye on it (cause I'm french and cause I like this period). Thank you for the introduction and for the very well done 3d models and 2d texturing. This is a very nice work. I like it.

Best regards,

Joch

Igne Natura Renovatur Integra
    Δεῖμος καὶ Φόβος

This mod looks really awesome! keep up the good work cheers!

Very good!!! There are a beta realased?

That's all incredible. did you redo the horses too? They look seriously improved..

Now I have some inspiration for my units for East Francia.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Wow this is truley great! Who did the models?

Oh and it should be FliegeR AD really..

Quote Originally Posted by Deutschland View Post
    Wow this is truley great! Who did the models?
    i did the models, and the textures

Quote Originally Posted by Febrero View Post
    Very good!!! There are a beta realased?
    not for quite some time yet.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

there are a long time for first version?

Latin Knight's Avatar Miles

Brilliant preview (as are all of the Great Conflicts) +rep. I'm fascinated with this period of the Middle Ages and think its not well explored (not only by mods, by the general media, be it historical fiction, movies or games). What i find surprising, since its one of the defining moments of European history as whole.

Just one question: what's the deal with the mustaches? The nobles and other soldiers seen to have an aversion to full beard, but sport those curious mustaches

Quote Originally Posted by Latin Knight View Post
    Just one question: what's the deal with the mustaches? The nobles and other soldiers seen to have an aversion to full beard, but sport those curious mustaches
    nothing wrong with a clean shaven cheek and a bold moustache.
    and later you will notice that the crucial part of the Ottonian reforms are the evolution of double-twirled beards

seriously, i have not considered the beard versus moustache ratio, it may be tilted disproportionally.
    though there are full beards and even some "epic sideburns".
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

delmat's Avatar Tiro

beautiful! can't wait to play with these guys

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

great!

DEUS GRACIAS !

Very nice work.

keep on guys

Very good work guys, thanks a lot. I really love your discriptions

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast