Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Screen Shot Thread!!!

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Icon10 Screen Shot Thread!!!

Post them here boys!

In battle, seiges, event pop-ups, campaign map, or whatever! Here is your chance to contribute to RB. We need new loading screens! Some select shots just might show up in the next release.

I will be posting the configuration for the cineditor for RB soon, if anyone is interested in getting inside of some custom battles to get really great shots.

Thank you for downloading and playing Rule Britannia! We look forward to bringing you more of what you have come to expect from this mod.

y2day

Very Important: When posting large images please use the [spoiler] tag. This button located in the top right of the advanced posting window will put the spoiler tag around your image. If you have any trouble or are not sure how to use tags please contact me. Thanks again y

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Default Re: Screen Shot Thread!!!

We've heard all of your requests about wanting to see close ups of the units of Rule Britannia. I have Cineditor configured now thanks to y2day. It's complex, but allows a close up screen capture, so I'll try to do some of those for the new units AJ Stoner and the team created.

That will be better than just showing you the unit using the screen capture within the mod as those generally show groups of the entire unit. I started to do screen captures of the Irish roster, I'm certain you'd rather see a close up view. Check back for some pics in the next few days. Some raw ones may appear without much Photoshop processing soon.

Re the spoiler tag. If you are new to posting images, the way of getting screen captures is pressing the PRT screen key. That will then grab a tga file and it is stored in the medieval ii total war subdirectory called \tgas. Those are large, but a free program IrfanView can convert the to jpg pretty easily. Those then can be attached while you are in "Go Advanced" mode. Then anyone will see them, and you can scroll through them once selected. I'll attach a few raw screen caps of the Irish units tonight so you can get some immediate view of them, but they won't be zoomed in with Cineditor.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 17, 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Default Irish Roster

Okay, you can only add so many pictures per posting, so I'll attach several new ones first and some old ones to jog your memory. The pics are the Irish Roster and were taken on a summer afternoon at the highest setting on my machine. There are minor light variations as some are a bit in shade. Cineditor does a finer job, but that will take a bit while I learn it. Each picture is named with the proper unit name. Some units cross into other rosters depending upon how things play out. Rule Britannia uses a mercenary system too, so f course there are some merc units you will see if you set the custom battles for "all" periods.

You can scroll through, and click on them and zoom in too. More coming. This method is a thumbnailed view, and is considered acceptable and an alternative to the spoiler tags. It is faster this way, but I like spoiler version better. The spoiler version requires entering much more tagging.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Default Irish Roster continued

Here's some more of the Irish Roster, all of them part of the original Britannia and to jog your memory. Some may have been reskinned. I'm new to the team.

Default Scottish Roster

Here's the Scottish Roster from a Highland Mountaintop as the sun is setting in Summertime. Note that putting the men in on a mountaintop like this in a narrow and tight formation allows you to get a screen capture much closer up within MTW2 than a regular wide formation. The way that the MTW2 camera is configured, is works at a slight angle as you zoom in, and therefore most of the time those on horseback seem closer due to that angle setting. Compare the distance from the camera in these to the Irish Roster. It's the effect of the narrow formation and the mountaintop.

I am using the late sun for aesthetic reasons as it is very favorable versus the harsh light of afternoon. Just showing you folks what's possible by making changes in the season. That's why when photographing football teams, they have them stare into the harsh midday sun for the glare and the appearance it creates.

First the new units that AJ and the team created. Some units may have been reskinned.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 17, 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Default Scottish Roster continued

Note the other units at the end. Hmmm Viking units and not mercs....interesting.

Here's the rest of the Scottish Roster.

Default Welsh Roster

Here's the Welsh Roster minus the Mounted Saethwyr which is not appearing in the custom battle menu. Need to check on that.

These pics are in Summer and in the morning. Many of the Welsh units can hide in the woods, and many are obscured by the canopy, the last sight some Englishmen saw just before their deaths.

I've reconfigured the UI into a minimal mode so that's why it is appearing the way it is. You can also put it in a slide mode, so it scoots out of the way and doesn't obscure screen captures. I still have the green indicator arrows on, which of course some people turn off, but here it is helping for clarity.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 17, 2011 at 11:21 PM.

Default Welsh Roster continued

Here's the rest. I'll experiment with several modes so you can see the variety of options. While some are better for screen captures, they may hinder your style of play, and of course each person has their own preferences.

Default How to maximize screen captures

Just a short note while I am doing other things. For normal screen captures (not using Cineditor), you can go into your.cfg file, i.e. the medieval2.Rule_Britannia.cfg found with your mod folder, and open it with a good editor like Notepad ++, and then under the [video] settings put in this line:
    [video]
    windowed = 1
    borderless_window = 1
    autoBorderlessMode = 1
    tga_width = 5120

So for example, my configuration for Rule Britannia is set up so I can alt+TAB out of the game and then I added the tga_width to 5120 which is the maximum setting, and will give the very best screen capture, but of course will be huge. The ones I loaded previously were not the best quality, just fast ones that I did. Higher quality ones will be better for making splash screens, or for my purposes I use them for doing battle analysis.

The value of 5120 is the max, but you may see things not lining up as a result, so if that happens you may need to reduce it.

So using the highest setting, it will take a tga of massive size, but some clipping occurs. What this allows a graphic person to do is to zoom in and get the shot of a particular unit though. It means being able to go in and crop and scale the image. See the attached shot of the Norwegian Late Bodyguard.

In this photo, the scene is a Summer Night of part of the Norway roster. Angling of the camera will be affected by the terrain, and closeup are generally better of mounted units. Still it is not ideal as the green indicators are still turned on. I'll show you how to turn them off in the next posting.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 18, 2011 at 01:30 PM.

Default Disabling the green arrow markers

Okay we want better screen captures, so let's get rid of any arrow markers under the men. That may play havoc in the heat of battle play, but for aesthetic reasons we're going to turn them off to get a better screen capture.

We need to open up the medieval2.Rule_Britannia.cfg file again with Notepad ++ and scroll to the [game] section:

[game]
    allusers = 1
    auto_save = 1
    unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 1
    event_cutscenes = 0
    disable_arrow_markers = 1

Put in the highlighted line set to 1 which turns it on.

Now we may want to have a better UI during battle, but find it distracting to have it set to normal or to minimal. A perfect setting, but that might require pausing, is to have it set to "slide". See the attached pic to see how to select it on the fly during battle. If you hit the ESC key, you can access it from the options.

When your mouse is in the area of the bottom or top, the cards or radar or whatever slide into view, otherwise they disappear. Some people love it, and some don't at all, but regardless for screen captures, it reveals more of the screen, and that's what we're going for

Default Irish Siege Scenes

Below you'll find some scenes from a recent little Holiday the Irish took to a Baron's Alliance citadel. "They were fine hosts and served us great food and wine after the get together. 'Had a smashing time."
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 18, 2011 at 08:18 PM.

Default Irish Siege Battle

So one of the things you'll notice is now the UI is not in the way, and the green arrows no longer distract, but two problems are occurring. One is that a stitching line is showing up because I have my tga capture set to 1280 but perhaps my height is not properly defined, so a line is showing up on occasion and spoiling the shot. I'm cropping it out of most, but I left some in so you can see it.

The other thing is the tooltips, which ordinarily is great as it relates the damage to a wall in percentages as well as saying what the morale state is of my men and the enemy. I can click off to the side and crop those out too, and I have, but I left some in so you can see. Lots of things can spoil a screen capture, or at least detract from them, and so those have to be edited for inclusion in splash pages.

I have my settings maxed out, which makes the graphics look pretty good, but of course the machine slows down to draw them, so there's a trade off in speed versus graphics performance. On occasion I get a pretty decent image at close range on the battlements, but to get that consistently, I can get a better one at really high levels on the tga capture like 5180. Of course that messes up the group shoot with lots of stitching lines. Much of this can be avoided by learning Cineditor.

These were taken using the Total War camera versus the regular RTS. It responds in different way, especially when swinging up and down. It moves more evenly in this axis, but it's more finicky about zooming in.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 18, 2011 at 08:50 PM.

Default Irish Siege Continued

More of the Irish Siege. You'll notice the issue of strange heads of soldiers on the ladder (pic labeled 15). I think it can show up in any mod. What are those longbowmen using...crochet mallets? Maybe we interrupted a game? Pic 18 looks like our swordsmen had a little overswing and cut down one of his own guys.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 19, 2011 at 06:47 AM.

Default Irish Siege

Irish Siege of the Baron's Alliance Citadel

Default Zoomed in Irish Roster

Here's the Irish Roster that have been reskinned, copied at the highest res I can get with just screen captures. I'll do this including the King or Heir if they've been reskinned. Some are slightly different due to the angle of the camera. I like the first Irish Clan Miitia 01 as he looks serious dementedly and scary.

Default Zoomed in Irish Roster

Here's the rest of the enlarged Irish roster that have been reskinned.

Default Zoomed in Scotland Roster

Here are the enlarged Scottish units.

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

RD your freaking amazing! So many pics, so little time. Really great work.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Thanks. Domo arigato gozaimashita y2day-sama. Did you like the laundry pic with the two bloody guys or the postcard from a Irish soldier writing his Mom>? I thought that they last one should definitely be a splashscreen. Most splash screens are not funny. I don't know why not. There's a funny one of I think a Gaelic soldier and it looks like he killed his shield-mate. Maybe they outta shorten the Claymores? What do Irish call shield-mates anyway? That's the Viking term.

Hard to believe the flat aspect of the Great Helm that the Scottish Chosen Swordsmen is wearing. That dates to the 1st Crusade. It was easier to fabricate, and naturally you can imagine the transfer of kinetic energy right to the top the head. It took a little while for them to fabricate a rounded dome, and hence glancing blows. You can just hear the Templars saying, "That's freaking it! I'm not wearing this cruddy helm one more time. If I do, I'll be deaf for the rest of my life!"

EDIT: WRONGO! 3rd Crusade and still used for a huge period into the 1500's. Too crazy. Guess it was the cheaper model in the 1500's or a hand-me-down.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 19, 2011 at 07:17 AM.

Default Zoomed in Welsh Units

There are only a few reskinned Welsh units, so a couple of views on some of them. Note the rebel blood on the Morgannwg Swordsmen's boots and helm. He's was busy, but posed for a pic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast