Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Units Throw Rocks when defending

Default Units Throw Rocks when defending

This would enable Loan Sword ashigaru or any sword unit to throw rocks when defending the wall.

* First of all, I am not a modder. I just did this through experiments trying to improve gameplay.

• I dont like units just standing there doing nothing and waiting for the enemies to climb the walls.
    • I was able to make some units to throw rocks at enemies when defending.
    • I tried to put this in yari ashigaru but there is no "animation" for throwing in yari units, so what happens is, when they fire, they just stand up there and rocks just fly out of no where. ( I hope someone could help me with this )

*I have tried to make the Yari Ashigaru line in the pack file manager "Can throw Grenades" - "TRUE" and made a new projectile for blinding grenades.

now yari ashigaru units can throw rocks With BETTER animation of throwing "not sling" and "clickable" skill unlike my first experiment. HOWEVER, they can only throw when not in walls. so I was only able to use it when they are on the ground.

I was hoping I could get help from modders who are better in editing units.

These are my proposals.

1. rock throwers must be with the defenders only, what I thought of a solution was placing this projectile in RETAINERS.
    2. range is 15.
    3. ammo, maybe 2-4?
    4. base reload time is 5

some screenshots:
    Attachment 183321

Attachment 183322

Attachment 183323

Attachment 183324

Attachment 183325

Attachment 183326

Attachment 183327

Attachment 183328

* I hope somehow youll like my idea. of course any suggestion and improvements are welcome.
    Last edited by ravensilvermaine; September 27, 2011 at 10:41 PM.

Default Re: Units Throw Rocks when defending

It seems a very nice idea, +rep

But it still needs to be polished, keep working on it

This is actually extremely awesome. Yari *should* have a throwing animation, because when they burn down castle gates they throw molotov cocktails at it Must be some tweak you can make for them to do that animation.

I didn't think this was possible. Great work! +rep

I would make two suggestions:

- Give the capability to Yari Ashigaru Garrison only.. or if you want to be exhaustive give it to ALL non-ranged melee
    - Shorten the range (from 15 to even 10 or 5) so that attackers have to be on the wall to be in range
    - Up the Rate of Fire significantly (so it's a hail of rocks but only at super close range)

Essentially, the peasantry throw stuff at attackers. Those Samurai guys are too classy to do that, though. They'll just kill you when you climb over.

They seem to be damaging their own wall, by the way...

Keep in mind also that should this actually work.. taking castles will become incredibly difficult without siege weaponry. As it should be, I suppose.
    Last edited by Charsi; September 27, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

INDEED! there is an animation for all units for throwing.

I have tried to make the Yari Ashigaru line in the pack file manager "Can throw Grenades" - "TRUE" and made a new projectile for blinding grenades.

now yari ashigaru units can throw rocks With BETTER animation of throwing "not sling" and "clickable" skill unlike my first experiment. HOWEVER, they can only throw when not in walls. so I was only able to use it when they are on the ground.

Well, I am hopeful that someone can better do it.

why not throw that flame bottles instead of rocks?

Quote Originally Posted by betto View Post
    I'll look for something if that would be possible.

So you enabled the throwing nades and it uses the projectile you set?

that's a great idea! Don't you think that rocks should be bigger? And does it really kill the soldiers?

This is interesting cause I've wanted to make a Ninja unit that could throw "something" like a dagger before they engage, problem I've had is I can't seem to get them to do it while moving.

There's a can fire while moving flag.

Yeah, I've tested it, doesn't appear to work for infantry, just calvary, however, there are 2 settings for it now, I'll have to test more. The real find would be unlocking the ability to "throw" while running, that would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Charsi View Post
    This is actually extremely awesome. Yari *should* have a throwing animation, because when they burn down castle gates they throw molotov cocktails at it Must be some tweak you can make for them to do that animation.

I didn't think this was possible. Great work! +rep

I would make two suggestions:

- Give the capability to Yari Ashigaru Garrison only.. or if you want to be exhaustive give it to ALL non-ranged melee
    - Shorten the range (from 15 to even 10 or 5) so that attackers have to be on the wall to be in range
    - Up the Rate of Fire significantly (so it's a hail of rocks but only at super close range)

Essentially, the peasantry throw stuff at attackers. Those Samurai guys are too classy to do that, though. They'll just kill you when you climb over.

They seem to be damaging their own wall, by the way...

Keep in mind also that should this actually work.. taking castles will become incredibly difficult without siege weaponry. As it should be, I suppose.
    Yes, ashigaru units should be the only people to throw rocks because the samurais wont probably do it.

Siege would be more interesting and youll have to prepare some siege equipments.

another thing, thanks for saying this. they are damaging their own walls because the projectile type is in "grenade" I have changed the Projectile type Into "bullets" and it doesnt damage the wall now. and better unit impact animation

Quote Originally Posted by betto View Post
    they can also throw flame bottles. -- I just used the "torch" projectile made by the CA, which is thrown at gates.

Quote Originally Posted by panzerschreck View Post
    that's a great idea! Don't you think that rocks should be bigger? And does it really kill the soldiers?
    yes a bit bigger, the next probable projectile are cannon balls. but they seem to be so Big. rocks really kill soldiers. 3 out of 1 ROCK hits a unit. in a small wall, there is like 30 unit hits. in a huge wall 40+. but of course you could increase or decrease unit losses by playing the accuracy and reloading stat of the throwers.

I like this idea.

Keep working on it and hopefully you can release a beta version soon.

One question though about something I don't fully understand - how do the units just throw the rocks when they are behind a wall?

Surely if are using the "Can throw Grenades" option then they will be able to throw them when and wherever they like?

Which is not what we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihre Ausführung View Post
    I like this idea.

Keep working on it and hopefully you can release a beta version soon.

One question though about something I don't fully understand - how do the units just throw the rocks when they are behind a wall?

Surely if are using the "Can throw Grenades" option then they will be able to throw them when and wherever they like?

Which is not what we want.
    There is a tick "fire at will" button which can be selected. and ammo is only 2.

Okay, created a ninja unit that can throw the old war axes as an actual missle weapon as opposed to a special ability.

I had to create a custom animation reference and I'm still trying to find a usuable animation for throwing on the run.

Animation Call in custom unit ani table

Code:
    fragment shogun_man_dagger_fragment      default_equipment_display = primary_weapon, ambient
    In the dagger_fragment table

Code:
    AIM           filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/UNARMED/STAND/STAND.anim"          blend_in_time = 0.1, special = torch
    FIRE          filename = "Animations/SHOGUN_ANIMATION/BATTLE/MEN/UNARMED/TORCH_THROW/TORCH_THROW.anim"         blend_in_time = 0.1, special = torch
    There are 3 throwing animations, torch - sling - grenade. I think torch looks the best. If i recall correctly, I think TWempire had an animation for native americans for throwing tomahawks while they were running.

Sorry it's in TSV format, and I think it's based on patch7. my work place won't install .net 4 so...I'm forced to use TSV format, but this should work for a unit that will auto throw rocks. I threw in an officer for good measure.

Note: the animation table is for reference only, do not import them into pack file, instead copy section and paste into animation table you're using.

shogun_man_rock_fragment = grenade throwing animation
    shogun_man_rock_fragment2 = torch throwing animation (delete the 2 if you use)

Quote Originally Posted by MDegage View Post
    Sorry it's in TSV format, and I think it's based on patch7. my work place won't install .net 4 so...I'm forced to use TSV format, but this should work for a unit that will auto throw rocks. I threw in an officer for good measure.

Note: the animation table is for reference only, do not import them into pack file, instead copy section and paste into animation table you're using.

shogun_man_rock_fragment = grenade throwing animation
    shogun_man_rock_fragment2 = torch throwing animation (delete the 2 if you use)
    Ill try it. yes, the throwing animation is the best animation for that.

Bad213Boy's Avatar Semisalis

So is this still a working mod? Is it finished? I noticed the original post hasn't been updated since September.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast