View Poll Results: which is the most pwerful infantry unit in rtw ?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • spartan hoplites

15 28.85%
  • urban cohort

25 48.08%
  • berserkers

8 15.38%
  • arcani

1 1.92%
  • another

3 5.77%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which faction has the best infantry?

Default Re: the most powerful infantry unit in rtw

Easily Urban Cohort, They refuse to rout. Besides that they are the best legionaries available, the price tag says it all.

men deployment kills men remaining
    89 1800 0
    3999 89 2199

89 berserkers killed 1800 britons in my german campaign and they did't rout

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

It really depends on the amount of denarii being used. At low denarii (like 10,000), the Urban Cohorts are easier to afford; also, with their pila & super-efficient stats & maneuverability, the Urbans are lightyears ahead of the Spartans.

In big money games (where money isn't an issue), that's where the Spartans shine. The only problem here is that most competitive players fight in low denarii games (10,000 - 15,000).

Regarding Berserkers vs a phalanx-capable Spear Unit, it's not even close. Spears own Berserkers hardcore; and since we're talking about Spartans, it's almost laughable watching a player attempting to outmaneuver a Spartiate unit with a Berserker. In my 900+ online battles, I have never been troubled by Berserkers if I had a core of hoplites/phalangites in my arsenal. Even when I first fought against a Berserker (which happened to be online), I still smoked them (since I had phalangites). I don't even need upgrades to slaughter berserkers. Only pathetic spear units like Levy Pikemen and Militia Hoplites have reason to fear a Berserker; but not even a phalanx pikemen should lose any sleep because of a man dressed up as a bear.

Berserkers, however, are excellent against sword/axe/dagger/non-phalanx spear units (if they don't get whacked by archers first).
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; March 23, 2008 at 01:19 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

Urbans. They are flexible and can change direction fast. They can withdraw and flank way better than the Spartans. And against Berserkers you only have to throw some Pilas at them and they win.

I agree with all of your guys, but look at the men ratio and kill ratio in a unit, urbans are 80on a medium setting, whereas i think it is 40 or 32 for beserkers, try getting the equal number of each men, for example, 2units of beserkes VS a spartan unit, and see the kill ratio. That will make all the differnce, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Summitz View Post
    try getting the equal number of each men, for example, 2units of beserkes VS a spartan unit, and see the kill ratio. That will make all the differnce, lol
    No, you have to look at the cost of each unit. Spartans cost 1,190 denarii. Berserkers cost 930 denarii. If you're going to match 2 Berserkers against 1 Spartan, then you will have to give the Spartans upgrades so that it equals the cost of 2 Berserkers.

Furthermore, have you ever seen a fight between 1 unit of Spartans (80) vs 1 unit of Berserkers (24)? The Berserkers won't even touch a single Spartan. So you can't assume 2 Berserker units will take down 1 Spartan unit.

And to take things a bit further: Berserkers have an incredibly high-attack rate, but they have no defense. A Spartan, on the other hand, has both a high defense & high attack. So if anything, you should be comparing Berserkers against Urbans because that's a much better matchup. But Berserker against Spartan is a one-sided contest. I'm not saying Berserkers are weak, but they have a mere supporting role against the phalanx-factions.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; March 23, 2008 at 01:10 PM.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Urbans rule the world.Spartans beat urbans until they fight with spears,but when they use swords they are doomed.1.Urbans2.Spartans.3.Berserkers

You should have bull warriors in the poll instead of arcani, arcani are good for two things, ambushing and taking walls,(and for beating the crap out of Iberian inf) I think bull warriors deserve a place in the best inf units line(only in sp though).
    I voted Spartans, I've seen poeni(sp?) inf beat urbans because they didn't get flanked, and a good player won't let his phalanxes get flanked, there for spartans are the best, however if you mean the most cost effective inf, then urbs beat spartans, but in campaign there is not much that beats bull warriors for cost effectiveness(not even urbs).
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

bull warriors are awesome because they come out of a minor city, whereas urbans require a huge city. but urbans consistently beat bulls in custom battle....

spain is a half barbarian faction so minor cities are like huge cities . i play as germania i am in 250 b.c but damme isnt minor city yet 4900 population perhaps with sacred grove of freja becouse i train many spear warband

Armored Hoplites and Sacred Band spearmen also deserve some recognition. In low denarii games, Greeks should be using Armored Hoplites (not Spartans). And Carthage has a counter-unit with the Sacred Band Spearmen.

Well they say Spartans are high morale, but the truth is, I can rout them extremely fast. Therefore, Urban Cohorts are better, they are more mobile, and have the pila attack.
    Varus? Where are my freaking legions?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_of_Macedon View Post
    Armored Hoplites and Sacred Band spearmen also deserve some recognition. In low denarii games, Greeks should be using Armored Hoplites (not Spartans). And Carthage has a counter-unit with the Sacred Band Spearmen.
    Seconded
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

deathmaw's Avatar Ordinarius

Romans Rule The World
    muhmuhmuhmahahaha
    One by one they fell to the power of the Ring

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

it wont soon because of BI!

HOUNDS OF CULAN!!! AND THOSE ....Alemanni berserkers

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

What about Legionary First? They have power, numbers and inspire nearby friendly units.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_of_Macedon View Post
    No, you have to look at the cost of each unit. Spartans cost 1,190 denarii. Berserkers cost 930 denarii. If you're going to match 2 Berserkers against 1 Spartan, then you will have to give the Spartans upgrades so that it equals the cost of 2 Berserkers.

Furthermore, have you ever seen a fight between 1 unit of Spartans (80) vs 1 unit of Berserkers (24)? The Berserkers won't even touch a single Spartan. So you can't assume 2 Berserker units will take down 1 Spartan unit.

And to take things a bit further: Berserkers have an incredibly high-attack rate, but they have no defense. A Spartan, on the other hand, has both a high defense & high attack. So if anything, you should be comparing Berserkers against Urbans because that's a much better matchup. But Berserker against Spartan is a one-sided contest. I'm not saying Berserkers are weak, but they have a mere supporting role against the phalanx-factions.
    I totally agree with you prince on the above post, but if spartan have the phalanx on, even urban cannot beat them unless the spartans are flanked, and the same goes with beserkers as you have said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Summitz View Post
    I totally agree with you prince on the above post, but if spartan have the phalanx on, even urban cannot beat them unless the spartans are flanked, and the same goes with beserkers as you have said it.
    At low denarii, the Urbans can edge out the Spartans in a unit vs unit fight. Pila + upgrades + flanking will beat the Spartans. And at low denarii, the flanking isn't even necessary, although it certainly helps. Urbans can fight through the spears (even if the Spartans turn to face the Urbans with their spears). It's a close-fight, but the Urbans will win if both players spend the same amount of denarii on their respective unit.

Berserkers, on the other hand, doesn't have the armor to stand up to a Spartan. A Berserker can outflank a Spartan, but once they move around behind the hoplites, the Spartan player only needs to change the direction of his spears, and then all of those out-of-control Berserkers will get impaled in a matter of seconds. The problem with Berserkers is that they telegraph all of their moves before they even do it - so it's really not a challenge at all for the Greek to guess what a German player is doing with his Berserkers.

The big difference between Urbans and Berserkers: Urbans don't get impaled on spears whereas Berserkers explode if they even look at a spear.

As I said, it depends on the denarii level. At low denarii, Urbans > Spartans.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; March 24, 2008 at 07:02 PM.

Semisalis

Default Re: Which faction has the best infantry?

What are you talking for?

The answer is clear.

Parthia has the best infantry in RTW.

Eastern Infantry owns every urbans or spartans or bull warriors or anyone else fool enough to stand against them.

lol?

Default Re: Which faction has the best infantry?

hahahaha......... well funny dashsia..........
    I was born chivalrous, but situations made me a dreaded.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast