View Poll Results: which is the most pwerful infantry unit in rtw ?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • spartan hoplites

15 28.85%
  • urban cohort

25 48.08%
  • berserkers

8 15.38%
  • arcani

1 1.92%
  • another

3 5.77%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which faction has the best infantry?

Default Re: Which faction has the best infantry?

Quote Originally Posted by hannibalbarc View Post
    In a campaign its either spain or greeks,
    spanish bullwarriors beat urbans and are actually cheaper than urbans if you take their upkeep into consideration, and they are available way before urbans.
    The greeks get armored hops really early on and nothing that early on can beat them.
    In mp its romans, greeks, or germans depending on your playing style.
    ive done multiple runs of 1 bullwarrior group vs, 1 urban group, the urbans win every time... try it urself..

Romans.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

The Romans easily have the best infantry. They can't kill cavalry as well as hoplites, but they can still hold their own. But against other infantry, Roman infantry is unmatched. They've got mobility, power and more power (and pila too).
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Romans, they have acces to the heaviest infantry with devestating pila. Also they have a lots of different infantry types so they can adapt to every situation.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

I'm torn between the Romans and GCS... But I choose GCS because hoplites can dispose of chariots with ease, and unless one is really speedy capturing the whole world, the late campaing usually consists of fighting a chariot super-nation (Egypt or Britons).

Quote Originally Posted by piranha45 View Post
    ive done multiple runs of 1 bullwarrior group vs, 1 urban group, the urbans win every time... try it urself..
    I don't want to turn this into another bullwarriors vs urbans thread, but since it's obvious that we are talking about campaign, let me just point out that bullwarriors are kinda like urbans from minor city level, and just because iberian inf suck, doesn't mean the faction sux, if it did, you could say that the romans sucked because they have auxilia inf(sp?).(the ai seems to use them a lot too)
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

well in reality, the late hellenic theureoporoi were very similar to legions. just, the sucessors had trouble using them correctly. they used them for harrassing, and skirmishing, when they could have used them as shock infantry.

the seleucids were the only ones who really adapted them effectively.

Romans by a country mile, Testudo (protection against arrows) Pila (better attack) and superb stats, frankly I would even back Hastasi against other early units, because of the auto fire of the pila I would back any Roman infrantry unit against their equivalent phallanx or barbarian
    Phallanx is too slow, vunerable to missile fire and very weak if you can get round the back of them
    If at first you don't succeed destroy any evidence that you tried

"Here within the folds of my toga hang peace or war"
    "Which shall you choose Carthage peace or war"----- Fabius Maximus
    "You say Fabius let rome decide"-----Carthage temple of the elders
    ................WAR.......Fabius Maximus

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Romans! All their regular infantry are like elite units in other factions. Nothing more terrible than a faction with all full-stacks of elite units.
    ________
    Vaporiser reviews
    Last edited by AqD; September 20, 2011 at 05:37 AM.

Greeks with their Spartan Hoplites...

The Romans have an advantage in unit numbers, but not in quality (for instance, a single Spartan unit card versus over two-thousand enemies will typically result in the deaths of maybe 5 or 15 men whilst the entire enemy army has been routed or has been slaughtered; note that's against peasants, but that's still pretty damn impressive).

Unfortunately, I had a very easy time destroying Rome as the Greeks. Unleashed a siege on the walls for a little while, broke through the gate, got inside and assaulted the place with Spartan Hoplites and archers. Over 3/4 of the Romans were destroyed (of like 5,000 men at the time). Only 1/5 of the Greeks were killed. Glorious day because we destroyed the Brutii and the Scipii.

EDIT:

Then again, it really depends on what you want. If you're looking for a good offensive army, pick the classy Romans. If you're looking for a good defensive/offensive army, pick the tough and skilled Greeks. If you're looking for a mobile army, take the light Persians or chariot-based Egyptians. If you're wanting a fierce and brutal army, either take the mighty Carthaginians or the warmongering Germans (but the Britons and Gauls aren't bad either; they lack defense, but they make up for it in numbers).
    Last edited by Iron Juggernaut; January 19, 2008 at 09:55 PM.

One of the biggest problems with leadership is that sometimes people mistake strength of force as good leadership, when it in reality shows the opposite.

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

Rome has the best Infantry.
    The only thing that could possible rivil it is germania with their crazy axemen and beserkers.

As for the spartans, they suck if they fought two thounsand romans, and not peasents, they would be eatin alive.. like kittens being thrown to the wolves..
    Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!

Well, actually putting the best swordsmen that the Romans have against the Spartans... it normally results in the Spartans winning. For instance, against 20 First Cohort units (they use throwable spears), the Spartans (with only 1 unit card) killed off 13 Cohort units (that's 3,146 men) before they were entirely destroyed.

Do the math. Two Spartan Hoplite units would kill roughly 6,292 Roman Cohorts (and that's more than any one commander can hold on the battlefield). These guys were maxed out (the Spartans), so that was to their advantage. BUT, despite that fact, it would take maybe 3 or 4 total Spartan Hoplite units (without gold ranks in defence, attack, and experience) to kill off 20 First Cohort units. That's still very damn impressive.

One of the biggest problems with leadership is that sometimes people mistake strength of force as good leadership, when it in reality shows the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Juggernaut View Post
    Well, actually putting the best swordsmen that the Romans have against the Spartans... it normally results in the Spartans winning. For instance, against 20 First Cohort units (they use throwable spears), the Spartans (with only 1 unit card) killed off 13 Cohort units (that's 3,146 men) before they were entirely destroyed.

Do the math. Two Spartan Hoplite units would kill roughly 6,292 Roman Cohorts (and that's more than any one commander can hold on the battlefield). These guys were maxed out (the Spartans), so that was to their advantage. BUT, despite that fact, it would take maybe 3 or 4 total Spartan Hoplite units (without gold ranks in defence, attack, and experience) to kill off 20 First Cohort units. That's still very damn impressive.
    No offense, but that's a very flimsy test using one maxed-out Spartan vs 20 non-upgraded First Cohorts (which by the way aren't the best swordsmen that Rome has). Of course the Spartans are going to kill more than they lose when you give them full upgrades.

Try 1 Urban Cohort vs 1 Spartan Hoplite with a max spending of 1,500 denarii.

Urbans have too many advantages over Spartan Hoplites:
    - they're cheaper
    - they're quicker
    - less micromanagement needed
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; January 20, 2008 at 12:08 AM.

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by Prince_of_Macedon View Post
    Urbans have too many advantages over Spartan Hoplites:
    - they're cheaper
    - they're quicker
    - less micromanagement needed
    Plus they have pila and more defense points.

The only thing that the Spartans have going for them is that they have 2 hitpoints.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -Seneca

General_Zavier's Avatar Civis

Urbans have 2 hitpoints. And Spartans can only be recruited in 2 cities.
    The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
    No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people.
    ~Anonymous

Romano British AAR
    End of Days AAR
    WRE Migration Campaign AAR
    The Official RTW Screenshot Competition.

Quote Originally Posted by General_Zavier View Post
    Urbans have 2 hitpoints.
    No they don't:
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -Seneca

Urbans have 2 hitpoints.
    They just have a whole heaping pile of armor and def stats, the highest def rating of any unit in the game.
    ---When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with---

---What's brave, what's noble, let's do it after the high Roman fashion,
    And make death proud to take us---

---When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools---

General_Zavier's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Invasion View Post
    No they don't:
    My bad.
    The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
    No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people.
    ~Anonymous

Romano British AAR
    End of Days AAR
    WRE Migration Campaign AAR
    The Official RTW Screenshot Competition.

My bad.
    No biggie - sometimes it feels like they have 2 hitpoints

The Romans just seem..right but one on one the long pikes own. Roman Legions need backup units

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast