View Poll Results: which is the most pwerful infantry unit in rtw ?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • spartan hoplites

15 28.85%
  • urban cohort

25 48.08%
  • berserkers

8 15.38%
  • arcani

1 1.92%
  • another

3 5.77%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which faction has the best infantry?

Legionary Jezza's Avatar Praefectus

Default Which faction has the best infantry?

which faction do you think has the best infantry?

Default Re: best faction

Roman. They didn't conquer the world for nothing.

well thier infantry wasnt the best their tactics were and formations in my opinion the greeks are with their hoplites

i'd also say Rome had the best infantry.

well thier infantry wasnt the best their tactics were and formations
    i'd say that the ability to understand and execute orders and tactics as one unit is just as important as other factors

At the time of the Roman Empire the Greeks were a dying breed, the hoplite phalanx formation was inflexible and inferior to the modern tactical manouveres of the Romans. That is why the close-knit grouped formation combined with the gladius was so effective; the enemy would come lunging in longsword swinging in the air only to be confronted by a wall of shields and the realization dawned on them that their longsword was useless in such close quarter combat whereas the short stabbing swords of the Romans were perfect.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Rome.. no doubt.. The pwned the Hoplites big time... and would do it any day!

yes but romans could not hold off that many persians like the 300 spartns did could they

that's one example of 1 exceptional feat, hardly proof that greek hoplites were better infantry than the Roman legions.

HappeR's Avatar Semisalis

This is about the 'best faction' right? Not about how great Roman or Greek infantry was

I think Pontus is the best faction, they suit my playing style best (and I like their starting location)

im on about the infantry not the whole faction

Proximus's Avatar Nothing To No One

Default Re: Which faction has the best infantry?

Renamed thread in a more logical way considering the topic.

Under the Honoured Patronage of Quintus Maximus Adopted by Valus
    Bestows Patronage upon NobleNick

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

in game or reality? i think there was a thread like this before,Tw does have a valid point the romans were masters of infantry battle tactics(although meat grinder comes to mind),but had they faced alexander, who knows?,they rarely came up against an equaly well led army, i'm no historian but didnt hannibal massacre the largest army rome ever put on a field, and that's massacre not just defeat. in game the greeks have the spartans who as we all know rock!

Personally I am a fan of the Germans (I just love their units). As far as the bottom line stats go, however, the Romans have the most powerful cost effective units by far. Still, 9/10 is how you use what you have.

Do you mean in real life or the game? In the game, Roman legionaries by far, however, Spartans are incredibly good too. In real life, the same answer, really.

Flogger's Avatar Senator

The Romans easily have the best infantry - they had the discipline, tactics and skill most of the rest of the known world just couldn't stand up to. Apart from a very select few.
    Stealing TWC's smilies since 2005

orange slice's Avatar Ducenarius

not real sure, but im thinking the greeks or carthage because of there armored hopilites(greeks), sacred band(carthage), they both are heavely armored, and have high attack

Member of the TWC History Club

The phalanx formation isn't ment to be a killing force like the Roman legion was. Idealy the Phalanx was only used to stop the enemy line from advancing, allowing time for cavalry to flank. (or at least that was the strategy for Philip and Alexander.)

The best infantry topic is...incomplete. Infantry is very usefull, yet there rarly occured battles fought exclusivly between infantries. Some type of companion cavalry would always be present in battles. Yet the best infantry for holding an enemy at bay would have to be Romans. Because not only can they show a wall of shield, similar to the phalanx wall of pikes, but they can kill much more or their enemies than a phalanx could at close combat.

I'd say the romans have the best infantry. The hoplites are good too, but they have no missiles and no testudo, this is what makes the cohorts so good imo. Besides, with their big sheilds they can break through the phalanx and force the hoplites to fight man against man, I've seen it happen more then once. Chosen Axemen can be great too but not better then Urban Cohorts.

Quote Originally Posted by town watch
    yes but romans could not hold off that many persians like the 300 spartns did could they
    The was a Roman Centurion that held a bridge against an invader,cant remember his name or when it happened but he did a good job as i remember.I shall try and find out the details.
    Push to test... Release to detonate.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

The Romans, in fact, there infantry could be used much like armored calvary. Julius Caesar approximated this in his victory at Pharsalus.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast