Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Sci-Fi?

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Good Sci-Fi?

Been watching Farscape for the past couple days. I gotta say, it isn't as good as I expected, but the main thing I'm not liking is some poor acting on account of the "guest stars"...But it is not discouraging me.

I'm finding it somewhat similar to Firefly...But that could just be me.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Tribunus

It gets better in the second season, and season three is spectacular.

Blog Entries

That's good.

It's kind of amusing seeing Ben Browder and Claudia Black in this show after watching them on SG-1...

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalB View Post
    Watch Farscape! It's brilliant, and has a great cast of colorful characters.
    It gets better in the second season, and season three is spectacular.
    I enjoyed Farscape but the last season was .

Basically the show starts to go downhill once the blue chick leaves
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Blog Entries

Don't tell me spoilers dangit...
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; October 24, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Holy crap Star Trek is expensive on Amazon...The cheapest "new" seasons out of them all are still over 40 bucks.

Luckily those with Amazon prime are good to go and can watch for free...So if I ever decide to watch...

Looks like I'm gonna have to check out Babylon 5 and I watched Farscape off and on when it was running but never really sat down to watch. Will be doing that when I get the time one of these days.

I know some may not like the genre, but anime/manga has produced some decent series such as Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. These are the most popular examples and both are favorites of mine.

And if someone's looking for a book about ground combat, I've always heard of this one called Armor by John Steakley.
    Therefore I am I must - King of Dyslexia
    My Stories:Wolfmen - Henrick Gleeson - The Woman and the Bread Roll

Blog Entries

Check out Farscape on Amazon...free for Prime members...or the complete series (currently) for 50 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Check out Farscape on Amazon...free for Prime members...or the complete series (currently) for 50 bucks.
    Not a prime member there and I might be interested in setting down 50 bucks for it but not at the moment

Blog Entries

Lol alright. Hope for your sake that it lasts for a while

Blog Entries

Okay so any British people and perhaps some Americans, is Primeval a good show? I'm checking it out on Amazon...Looks REALLY expensive for very few episodes per "series".

Oh wait, nevermind...Prime members get the first few series for free
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; October 25, 2011 at 05:09 PM.

Tribunus

It isn't the best, in the same vein as Sanctuary or perhaps Warehouse 13, and more recently large portions of the basic plot were directly copied for the purposes of American television in Terra Nova. Not worth your money, spend wiser.

x2! Can never go wrong with a University library.

Blog Entries

My university library only has educational DVD's...Lol

Quote Originally Posted by justicar5 View Post
    The novels however can be excellent.
    To wit, those novels are about the only time that Warhammer 40k has a chance of making sense as a sci-fi universe. It's where they can ignore game balance and pretty much say, "Guess what...a Space Marine is an army unto itself".
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Blog Entries

Okay so unfortunately my watching of Sci-Fi has been slowed down tremendously due to my lack of time. I have only gotten through 11 1/2 episodes of Farscape in a couple weeks...I used to be able to watch more episodes than that per DAY.

I do have some plans for winter break, though...I am hoping to get some more sci-fi shows over winter break. I currently have the rest of Farscape to watch, as well as about half of season 2.5 of BSG and the rest of it (though I don't own season 4 yet). I'm hoping for Christmas on getting SGU season 1 and if I like it getting season 2 in the great deals that always seem to occur after Xmas, maybe a season of Babylon 5, a season of Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary (though both are only semi-sci fi from what people have been telling me), and maybe a season of Eureka. I am also interested in trying out The Walking Dead, though I will need to get and watch it before I consider watching it on TV

I also hope to get the miniseries "Taken"...I asked my parents for it for my upcoming birthday but I think Farscape was my only present...

Finally, I think I am getting to the point where I'm not interested in Dr. Who, but I am intrigued enough to at least give it a chance...Though I refuse to watch the old series right now. I will watch the "reboot that's not a reboot"...Starting in 2005. I'll use Amazon Prime Instant Video cause it is free...Dr. Who is simply too expensive for my tastes. I might also give Star Trek another chance since I have that available for free as well.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; October 31, 2011 at 02:29 PM.

Blog Entries

I have bit the bullet and watch some Dr. Who...The newer ones. On episode 7 of Christopher Eccleston

I'm finding it okay...Nothing special though yet.

Another book I've just started reading. Darkwar by Glen Cook. Strictly it's classified as Science Fantasy(I you not). That is to say, where science fiction makes the implausible possible, science fantasy makes the impossible plausible. As usual Glen Cook hooks me and doesn't let me go. It's the first book in a few months that I can't put down. It's about an alien race with wierd technology laws(can't spread high tech to low tech areas, tribes can't know about high tech, things like that), and some parts of the race have what I'll call psionic powers. The story is about a girl with these powers that moves from a low-tech area to a high-tech area and joins one of the societies, and all the politics and subterfuge that ensues during her life.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Blog Entries

Science Fantasy...That's an interesting sounding genre

That's most SciFi, since what is scientifically described is unlikely to be possible, like hyper-drives.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.