Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Complete History of IH

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The Complete History of IH

I deleted my "author's note" since it's a lie () and I will write a new one soon to replace it. I will also begin renovating this thread a little. It's gone far too long without an update.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

SweEEet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

You guys had A Song of Ice and Fire IH without me!

Content Emeritus

Aye, it was just after you disappeared back in the Fall.

Content Emeritus

Updated with all of my limited knowledge on IH prehistory.

Majonga's Avatar Primicerius

I am disappointed that my handling of Bavaria in 'The Greatest War'. it was, as I recall my first IH and I took Bavaria from a small four territory minor power to dominate almost half of Germany, win the 30 years war, six years early and even establish some colonies in Africa. Then again, no-one seems to remember the dramatic rise of Bavaria, even in the RB timelines.
    "All warfare is based on deception. Hence: when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near." - Sun Tzu

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

That's because you had Big Brother Austria to help you

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Majonga View Post
    I am disappointed that my handling of Bavaria in 'The Greatest War'. it was, as I recall my first IH and I took Bavaria from a small four territory minor power to dominate almost half of Germany, win the 30 years war, six years early and even establish some colonies in Africa. Then again, no-one seems to remember the dramatic rise of Bavaria, even in the RB timelines.
    Disappointed that I didn't mention it? Well, at the moment I'm only doing a general summary of each game, not so much detailed play-by-plays of each game. Those will probably come in the fullness of time, however.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

CELS WAS A CONFEDERATE!

Content Emeritus

Bumped, work will resume after CoE is officially dead and buried.

Content Emeritus

Mind our dust.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    For real this time - College apps are finally done for now, so work on the history can resume in earnest this week, and I have big plans.

Awesome. Some suggestions:
    The bit on my 1900 IH isn't quite right now, it ought to be explained that WR devoured my time so it didn't happen, but was later revived and lived for one whole turn of flurried activity before dying because battles racked up and by the time I could start on them the players had disappeared.
    We ought to add a bit of the "social history" of IH - the people, debates, discussions, explosions, political belief changes, life events, etc. For example my change of heart and my mother's death would be in it, as well as less serious things like Barry's computer dying and the subsequent thrusting of Kip and Gunny into the limelight. Just a suggestion to explain why things are the way they are.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    Awesome. Some suggestions:
    The bit on my 1900 IH isn't quite right now, it ought to be explained that WR devoured my time so it didn't happen, but was later revived and lived for one whole turn of flurried activity before dying because battles racked up and by the time I could start on them the players had disappeared.
    A lot of stuff "isn't quite right now." All will be set straight in time.
    We ought to add a bit of the "social history" of IH - the people, debates, discussions, explosions, political belief changes, life events, etc. For example my change of heart and my mother's death would be in it, as well as less serious things like Barry's computer dying and the subsequent thrusting of Kip and Gunny into the limelight. Just a suggestion to explain why things are the way they are.
    This is planned. In fact, the bit about Kip and Gunny is already there.

Yeah, just sort of based on that. I think that asking permission to put it in might be a good idea, but I've got nothing to hide.

Indefinitely Banned

Is my old Sengoku Jidai IH here by any chance?

Content Emeritus

I think I moved it to the archives the other day. You can feel free to check!

Indefinitely Banned

YAYAYAY, You added me . If I happen to die, I want something "good" of me to be remember, at least for this . Thank ye kindly!

warluster's Avatar Miles

Wow oh wow - how far this forum has gone. As being one of the blokes who brought over the original game from the '.Org' hopefully I can fill in some of the more obscure details from back in 2007 and beyond.

Basically - Interactive History's were a sort of numbered interactive novel run back in 2003/2004 by some long-gone members of 'Total War.org' in the 'Chapter House'. The author wrote the story, gave some choices to the player and what the majority chose was the direction the novel was written in - the author was the oarmans there. The first stories were run in the old history forum around 2003 before gaining their own forum, and from there some really great writers like Franconicus and Kraxis wrote these novels. But, once again, I can't stress enough that these were very much novels which went in the author's desired direction.
    (Here's the very first IH ever by Vykke ; and here's Duel of the Sea by Kraxis. This guy was a legend back in the 2005/6 days... stunning writing, old timer moderator of the forum... disappeared back in 2010.)

Where you can see the emergence of the stuff you guys have going on nowadays was back in 2007, where a guy called 'Legio' wrote this fantastic interactive about the Thirty Year's War. Rather then a interactive novel, he decided to make it a 'interactive history' and instead of writing the story then giving the reader a choice - he enlisted the reader as a country/player, wrote the chapter and then gave each player a set of choices. In a way, a exclusive interactive novel written personally to around 12 players who all interacted in diplomacy and war. I can't describe how fun this game was; beautiful writing, good blokes and tons of controversy. It was a riot. It kickstarted a whole craze of games over there. I myself played as Brandenburg and fondly remember that game. (Here it is! Please, check it out)

Over the years the old faces disappeared... the games rolled on still... they got more complex, became less popular. By 2010 it was down to one or two games shakily going along (and still are... drop in if you want to see how the original idea went!).

But now to here... I can't really remember it clearly, but I was a big fan of the games back then (still am!)... I can't remember how it started, but I'm sure Warman had a game running in the Coliseum? Anyway, I asked him and a admin back in 2009 for permission to have both a subforum and a game. Both were very keen. I got my subforum back in May 2009, and christened it with the unsuccessful 18th century game (Also have a look... some current names signed up there). I struggled for a year to introduce the old .Org games here, made a rulebook the whole lot. This subofrum had better ideas, fortunately, and from there you'll see a lot of regular players evolved the game into what exists today.

I wrote a lot more then intended... I just thought some of you might be interested to see where it started - all as a interactive book nearly ten years ago! Personally, I'd love to jump back in and give the old style a spin... but that's nostalgia more then anything.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

I'd be up for it, though a game's just started up. Feel free to read through some of the old IHs, though, we've certainly written quite a few brilliant ones ourselves!
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

Content Emeritus

Wow, it's great to have the blank spots filled in by somebody who was actually there! My 'archaeology' can only get me so far, even though I'm an old-timer by the reborn forum's standards. Thanks so much! I'll have to get back to work on updating this once I've gotten a little more settled into life at college.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234