Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vocally, Classical or Ecclesiastical Latin?

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Vocally, Classical or Ecclesiastical Latin?

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_the_terrible View Post
    But it did serve a dual function: as a vowel and as a consonant.

Point is we have no way of knowing for certain how the consonant would have been pronounced.
    Well personally I think W should make a "Woo" shound as it's a Double U. U makes a "Wah" sound as a Consonant and a "Oo" as a Vowel.

In some words you get a VV such as EQVVS. It should be pronounced (IMO) "EH*KWOOS"

Eqvvs could be rendered as Equus, Eqvus, or Eqws but always pronounced Eh*Kwoos like Equestrian is Eh*Kwess*Tree*An. Equestrian being the Eqvestrian with the v rather than the u.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Classical is much better.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Dominicvs's Avatar Biarchus

Is that due to its historical side or the way it phonetically sounds? Or just an opinion?

Corporal Carrow's Avatar Civis

Both, in my opinion.

Dominicvs's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by neoptolemos View Post
    If the OP is acurrate then Ancient Greek and Classical Latin have some similarities in pronunciation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_phonology
    Interesting article, I would love to learn Ancient Greek after I'm confident in classical Latin. +rep!

The classical pronunciation is more consistent and more elegant, in my opinion.

I tried to learn Latin before, but I got bogged down in the grammar. Even knowing a Romance language (Spanish) it was quite challenging.

Laetus

I was going to post a reply to this discussion but I lost the thread while registering and posted it on Use of Latin instead.

khananel

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

It depends of context. If for some reason I would have to read a Latin text from antiquity aloud I would use the classical pronunciation.
    Using classical pronunciation for a medieval text or for some baroque oratorio libretto would be complete silliness.

For common names and phrases in everyday context I use neither classical or Italian but rather German pronunciation as is customary in my country.

Originally Posted by Ava
    Hello, I'm a Ph.D student at Catholic University of America (The Department of Greek and Latin). Which type of pronunciation should I use for my oratory essaydune project? My supervisor recommends Ecclesiastical.
    Ava
    Hello Ava, I think it's better to follow your supervisor's advice. Eben Dale explained the differences between the Reformed Classical pronunciation and the Ecclesiastical pronunciation (Which Latin Pronunciation by Eben Dale on MemoriaPress).
    You may also find the Pronunciation Guide for Ecclesiastical Latin on Achorale.net

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Although you all have to admit how funny Veni Vidi Vici sounds to the modern ear in high classical Latin V=W. But I notice Wiki used Church Latin for the audio clip. I'd stick with CLassical Latin unless you are in the Church and still doing high mass or intoning medieval documents
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12