Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uí Néill Faction Submod [1.0 RELEASED]

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Default Uí Néill Faction Submod [1.0 RELEASED]

The Faction:

The Uí Néill are an additional Irish faction based in the Northwest and in Meath. They are on a par with the other Irish factions and hold the title of High kings of Ireland, something which most of the rest of the country ignores or in some cases, violently contests. They historically passed the high kingship between two dynasties, one in the north and another in meath, this is represented by having two family trees, the starting leader is from one and the heir from the other. I created them because i felt ireland would be more interesting with another faction and they were influential right up to the 15th century. For the moment the faction has no special unit but hopefully i'll add that later.

Family Tree:

Northern Uí Néill Dynasty
    Aedh Findlaith High King Mael Muire
    |
    Domnall Mac Aedh / Eithne Mac Aedh / Niall Mac Aedh

Southern Uí Néill Dynasty
    Máel Sechnaill Deceased Land Deceased
    |
    Flann Sinna Mac Máel Sechnaill Heir / Áenghus Mac Máel Sechnaill

Background:

Some of you might like to know who the Uí Néill are. They are a group of families reputed to have descended from Niall of the Nine Hostages, a semi-mythical figure from the mid 4th century AD. They founded the kingdoms of Míde and large tracts of modern day donegal, derry and tyrone(Tír Eoghain meaning the land of Eoghain, one of the sons of Niall), though like all irish kingdoms there was a great deal of fighting between both the Northern Uí Néill and those in Míde as well as between the septs within both kingdoms.

Some might suggest that this, along with the fact that they were two separate kingdoms would warrant two separate factions but i don't think the faction could survive the way the map is (in 3.06), which would give each faction only one region in an island with two others that control three each.

Imagery:

The colours i was thinking would be good were yellow/red in a (apocryphal) reference to the ulster colours (since the yellow is the O'Neills claim to the Burkes land and titles whereas the original Uí Néill crest should only be red/white).

And although it is in fact not really a red hand anymore it ties in better with Danovas icons, besides no matter what i did the pure red hand was just too much onscreen.

Installation:

First things first, a little house cleaning is required. Go to Last_Kingdom\data\text and delete all the files ending .txt.strings, then go to Last_Kingdom\data\world\maps\base and delete map.rwm, don't worry all of these files generate when you run the game (either immediately or when you start a new campaign). A little advice though, the first time you start a campaign click the "start" button and then touch nothing, if you click at all or press any key the game will likely crash, in fact task manager tells you (incorrectly) that the game is not responding. Just leave it (it can take a long while even on mine which is a fast machine) and it'll work. I'm going to ask some others if i can just upload these files or if that would cause crashes, i'll let you know.

Easiest way is download the .rar, copy it to the mods folder (default is C:\Program Files\Sega\Medieval II Total War\mods), right click and select "extract here". When it asks "do you want to overwrite?" say yes. I'll put up an uninstaller soon.

Credits:

Gigantus for help with the symbol_oneill.cas which means the submod is ready
    One-Eye for some helpful tips for the faction geneology
    Danova and the rest of the Last Kingdom Devs
    Last edited by smoesville; October 06, 2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Default Re: Uí Neill

Can you give more information on this? I'm curious

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

What would you like to know? Btw the city of cork is not part of their territory, it was just easier to see what they looked like by changing munster. The family tree and stuff i'm looking into, the faction could include both branches of the family (the other based in Mide) and the high kingship. Also atm the roster would be the same as the other irish factions, i'm not sure though, a slinger unit would be cool (i've read of dal riada warriors using slings on staffs) but messing with animations is beyond me I'll have to look into it and see what would make a good unique unit.

If you're wondering, the main reason to have another irish faction is to perhaps balance ireland a bit since atm connacht gets destroyed everytime by munster, another faction will at least lengthen the irish power struggle.

This is what the family would be based on, (SU-CC) means the Southern Uí Néill, those based in mide.

Niall Caille, son of Aedh Oirdnidhe, son of Niall Frosach, 832 to 844 (CE).
    Máel Sechnaill, son of Máele Ruanaid, grandson of Donnchad Midi, 845 to 860 (SU-CC).
    Aedh Finnliath, son of Niall Caille, son of Aedh Oirdnidhe, 861 to 876 (CE).
    Flann Sinna, son of Máel Sechnaill, 877 to 914 (SU-CC).

It's from here also here is some background on them.
    Last edited by smoesville; September 17, 2011 at 08:13 PM.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by smoesville View Post
    What would you like to know? Btw the city of cork is not part of their territory, it was just easier to see what they looked like by changing munster. The family tree and stuff i'm looking into, the faction could include both branches of the family (the other based in Mide) and the high kingship. Also atm the roster would be the same as the other irish factions, i'm not sure though, a slinger unit would be cool (i've read of dal riada warriors using slings on staffs) but messing with animations is beyond me I'll have to look into it and see what would make a good unique unit.

If you're wondering, the main reason to have another irish faction is to perhaps balance ireland a bit since atm connacht gets destroyed everytime by munster, another faction will at least lengthen the irish power struggle.

This is what the family would be based on, (SU-CC) means the Southern Uí Néill, those based in mide.

Niall Caille, son of Aedh Oirdnidhe, son of Niall Frosach, 832 to 844 (CE).
    Máel Sechnaill, son of Máele Ruanaid, grandson of Donnchad Midi, 845 to 860 (SU-CC).
    Aedh Finnliath, son of Niall Caille, son of Aedh Oirdnidhe, 861 to 876 (CE).
    Flann Sinna, son of Máel Sechnaill, 877 to 914 (SU-CC).

It's from here also here is some background on them.
    Like if there will be unique units, faction leader, number of territories, position on strat map etc etc.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

Northern Uí Néill
    Aedh Finnliath Mac Niall Caille (Faction Leader 860AD) Aged 51 at the start of the game (this is a guess, i can't find his DoB)
    Niall Glundubh Mac Aedh* Aged 8 (i need a FM to fill in the gap, atm the only choice is to use the S.Uí Néill)

Southern Uí Néill
    Máel Sechnaill Mac Máele Ruanaid (Deceased 860AD)
    Flann Sinna Mac Máel Sechnaill
    Donchadh Donn Mac Máel Sechnaill

*this could be O'Niall since his grandfather was Niall Caille but in keeping with what the team has done i'll name the family after the father

Start position is Tír Chonaill (Dúnnagall) and Mide (Ceanannas)*

*May have to increas the level of at least one of these so they are on an even footing with the other Irish kingdoms ie they can train units. Probably Dún Aileach (change Dúnnagall to this and move it north) as it was the seat of the Northern Uí Néill.

Some ingame shots of the royal banner.

Found an older version of Photoshop for my pc, which means i can put textures in game now wohoo! And just a note to anyone who uses a mac for graphics, for some reason if saved on a mac it saves a slightly different version (less info) of tgas so when you try to convert (tga - dds - texture) the texture converter will have a hissy fit
    Last edited by smoesville; September 18, 2011 at 04:49 PM.

Default Re: Uí Néill

This would be a really nice addition to the mod.

Here's the main banners for the faction, i haven't done the small (exp) flags yet but i'll get there Also i should have some in game shots of these soon if Med2 decides to cooperate.

And here they are, though it was like wrestling with a drunken fish to get them to convert to textures

*I've decided to change the generals flag to yellow field with a red cross, since this is the flag of ulster, i knew this it's just when i started i picked colours without actually thinking. I'm tempted to do another faction (Southern Uí Néill) aswell so there are more factions in ireland.

Reading the Annals of Ulster have lead me to the conclusion that the North and South Uí Néill are not a good grouping, most of the annals seem to indicate they tried to kill one another constantly.
    Last edited by smoesville; September 18, 2011 at 04:51 PM.

very nice.

I think you can "go" with my Ireland map for starting position of Ui Neill. as Celtics mentioned my Corrected Brittish Islands will be included to next release and if in Ireland will be three factions 18 regions looks fine.

for extra unit you should use any unit from Scottish rooster with celtics look maybe any cavalry?). Scots become to Scotland from North Ireland.
    also, what about to add to family tree only from branch of High King in mods start. the second branch could be as subfaction, which maybe could brings any rebelion...

Quote Originally Posted by One-Eye View Post
    very nice.

I think you can "go" with my Ireland map for starting position of Ui Neill. as Celtics mentioned my Corrected Brittish Islands will be included to next release and if in Ireland will be three factions 18 regions looks fine.
    Also looking at your map i could just give them Dúnnagall and Aileach and leave out Mide.

for extra unit you should use any unit from Scottish rooster with celtics look maybe any cavalry?). Scots become to Scotland from North Ireland.
    I was thinking something viking early on since the impression i get from the Annals of Ulster the Northern Uí Néill allied and fought beside Amlaíb Conung and his brothers, Ímar and Auisle, the three kings of the foreigners after 850. I think a two handed axe unit like the tuamornaughta would be suitable since the team is (likely) dropping the Tuamornaughta.
    also, what about to add to family tree only from branch of High King in mods start. the second branch could be as subfaction, which maybe could brings any rebelion...
    Do you mean have two family trees within the one faction? That's what i planned to do (if that's what you meant), the main problem with the High kingship is that no matter how much they killed each other the two Uí Néill dynasties still took the kingship in turns. So they are one faction on the one hand and two factions at the same time

Also looking at your map i could just give them Dúnnagall and Aileach and leave out Mide.
    Dúnnagall, Aileach and Mide, too. Mide will represent southern branch - in mods start more powerfull, if I goo remember...
    I was thinking something viking early on since the impression i get from the Annals of Ulster the Northern Uí Néill allied and fought beside Amlaíb Conung and his brothers, Ímar and Auisle, the three kings of the foreigners after 850. I think a two handed axe unit like the tuamornaughta would be suitable since the team is (likely) dropping the Tuamornaughta.
    but later Uí Néill fight against Vikings. maybe add them any Viking fashioned mercenaries. but I still think any mix between irish - scottish unit would be better as extra unit.
    Do you mean have two family trees within the one faction? That's what i planned to do (if that's what you meant), the main problem with the High kingship is that no matter how much they killed each other the two Uí Néill dynasties still took the kingship in turns. So they are one faction on the one hand and two factions at the same time
    I mean subfaction characters with women + children.

Dúnnagall, Aileach and Mide, too. Mide will represent southern branch - in mods start more powerfull, if I goo remember...
    It would also give them a level footing in terms of territory with the other irish factions.
    but later Uí Néill fight against Vikings. maybe add them any Viking fashioned mercenaries. but I still think any mix between irish - scottish unit would be better as extra unit.
    The irish had a tendancy to fight anyone, so many times in the annals it's recorded that a king/chief is slain by his own people
    I mean subfaction characters with women + children.
    So a family that's separate to the royal family? Like Munster has in the mod, the leader is in one family, with a underage daughter/son and the heir is part of a different family which you can't see unless a member of their family becomes king. I think that's what you mean, i'm not sure of any other way to do it?

"And here we have Máel Cluiche sporting our summer collection..."

Last edited by smoesville; September 19, 2011 at 08:18 AM.

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Awsome work!
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Celtichugs123 View Post
    Awsome work!
    Thank you but apart from the red(ish) hand, all i've really been doing is colour mixing so the credit should still go to Danova and anyone else who worked on the 2d and 3d graphics

Banners are done, i'll stick up screenshots shortly and so are all campaign models except princesses and bards, after that it's the captain and general battle models and afaik pretty much all the artwork is done, then i have to code it all into the game
    Last edited by smoesville; September 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM.

So a family that's separate to the royal family? Like Munster has in the mod, the leader is in one family, with a underage daughter/son and the heir is part of a different family which you can't see unless a member of their family becomes king. I think that's what you mean, i'm not sure of any other way to do it?
    why add heir to another family tree as leader? unless if heir is married with leaders daughter...

I meant: family tree (northern branch)

Aedh Finnliath (leader), Aedh was married two (maybe three times), but in 865 was his wife Mael Muire. so children from earlier marriages could be under Mael Muire. children: Eithne (daughter, she was married in 869), Domnall (son, in 863 he fight in battle so must be adult), Niall Glundubh (later king of Ireland, but now he is child).

subfaction (southern branch)

Mael Sechlain (dead) and his wife Land (dead) had these children:
    Flann Sinna (born 847/848) later king of Ireland, Aengus (mentioned as king´s younger brother)

why add heir to another family tree as leader? unless if heir is married with leaders daughter...

I meant: family tree (northern branch)

Aedh Finnliath (leader), Aedh was married two (maybe three times), but in 865 was his wife Mael Muire. so children from earlier marriages could be under Mael Muire. children: Eithne (daughter, she was married in 869), Domnall (son, in 863 he fight in battle so must be adult), Niall Glundubh (later king of Ireland, but now he is child).

subfaction (southern branch)

Mael Sechlain (dead) and his wife Land (dead) had these children:
    Flann Sinna (born 847/848) later king of Ireland, Aengus (mentioned as king´s younger brother)
    What i intended to do was have the families as you describe and have Flann Sinna as heir and Aedh Finnliath as leader to follow the way the high kingship swapped every other time. So there would still be two families as you describe but the title will pass between them (hopefully).

Here are the finished banners The Stratmap models (agents, princesses etc.) are all done aswell, now just the battle models to do.

For the unique unit i was thinking of making a special bodyguard for the Uí Néill, somewhat like ridire bodyguard but with no shield and javelins instead. Any thoughts?

Also One-Eye where did you get your sources? Are they online because i would like to read a bit more in depth into the kingdoms of ireland.
    Last edited by smoesville; September 21, 2011 at 05:44 PM.

So i've done all the battle skins for the Uí Néill (though i haven't put them in game yet) so afaik all the 2D and 3D stuff is done I'll probably find i've left something out once i start coding it. I have to start putting it into the game now as a separate faction.

very nice.

I'm going to put it into 3.06 first and see if it's all there and then when what i assume is 3.07 comes out i'll add it in there.

Oh yeah, here's a wip of the dyfed royal banner

Last edited by smoesville; September 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

Almost there, have to redo the modeldb entries (i messed up somewhere and it's easier to start again ), change the texture for symbol_oneil.cas (god i hate them so much) and figure out why the shared.sd file doesn't seem to generate so atm there is no little o'neill shield in the diplomacy screen.

Also One-Eye where did you get your sources? Are they online because i would like to read a bit more in depth into the kingdoms of ireland.
    http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/CONTENTS.htm
    do not believe only one source

Dyfed, yes Wales could have one more faction maybe. there are few mods with more Welsh factions.

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/CONTENTS.htm
    do not believe only one source

Dyfed, yes Wales could have one more faction maybe. there are few mods with more Welsh factions.
    Thanks, i do like reading about history. I'll be honest and say i didn't really look too far Tbh i should probably finish the Uí Néill first, though they are nearly and would be if the files acted normally

I don't suppose anyone with a working grasp of 3d / .cas files would like to give me a hand so i can finish this submod?

Basically i have the skin done (.tga) and it would help greatly if someone who actually knows what they're doing could just put it on the mesh. Attached are the .cas file and the .tga. This is the last thing to do and i've already spent hours on it and am no closer to figuring it out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast