Thread: (E:TW) An Empire Reborn: An Italian States AAR

Default (E:TW) An Empire Reborn: An Italian States AAR

An Empire Reborn: An Italian States AAR

GOAL: To rebuild the Roman Empire in the 1700's as the Italian States.

MODS: All minor (No Emergent or Protectorates) Factions Unlocked. No scripting and/or other mods.

DIFFICULTY: Hard Campaign AI, Hard Battle AI

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The following is an extended excerpt from "The Second Roman Empire: Origins of Glory 1700-1850" by Prof. R. Giamo, 2011)

Chapter 1: The Latin-Genoese War (part 1)

In our current modern age it is hard to imagine life without the empire. However it hasn't always existed as we now know it. Originally the ancient Roman Empire dominated the mediterranean and forged an empire that stretched from scotland to the levant. Over time the repeatetd invasions of barbarians weakened the empire so much that it collapsed on September 4, 476. This began an era without the Empire now known as the age of darkness. This era wasn't ended until June 30, 1700 when the second Roman Empire was born.

At the dawn of summer in 1700 the Second Roman Empire was small, having only the glorius city of Rome in her possession.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Roman Starting Position
    It was clear that Rome needed to expand if it was to return to it's former splendor. Pope Clement XI decided to focus his agression on the city-state of Genoa to the north-west because of a trade dispute that ended with several Roman ships being destroyed. Having moved his army to the Genoese border he began training new soldiers in preperation for the coming conflict

Noticing the build up of agression the Genoese declared an alliance with the city-state of Savoy. This was merely a diplomatic ploy though as the savoy were locked into a bitter war with France at the time and were thus unable to assist the Genoese once war broke out. Recent archaeological digs in the area surrounding the current-day city of Genoa have uncovered interesting documents which tell us much about the Genoese at the time preceeding the war.
    In 1703 Roman forces attacked and forced a conflict outside the city of Genoa.
    The following is an acount of the battle which followed.

The First Battle of Genoa, 1703

As the Romans moved towards the city Genoese forces under the command of Batisa Finosi decided to attack. Their plan was to pin the Roman center with musket fire whilst out-flanking the roman right.

(NOTE: The Genoese are in the left-hand side of the picture, whilst the romans are on the right.)
    As the two armies meet Genoese cavalry attempt to outflank the roman right.

(NOTE: Romans on the left, Genoese on the right this time)
    The Roman pikemen make a counter-push through the centre whilst the genonese continue to attack the roman right flank (now with militia).
    A General Battle Overview from the Roman perspective.... On the right in the forest: The Genoese main attack.... In the middle: The Roman pike charge.... On the left: general skirmishing.
    As the battle continues the Roman Right Flank begins to collapse and is forced to retreat and create a new defensive line further back on the hill as reinforcements arrive.
    As the right flank is secured the pikemen breakthrough the Genoese centre.
    Following this the Genoese Commander is killed and the rest of his army rout as they hear the news. The Romans give chase to their fleeing enemies and take control of the city.
    Here is a list of estimated casualities on both sides.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This concludes the first chapter, keep an eye on this thread for more action!

Mortality's Avatar Senator
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Default Re: (E:TW) An Empire Reborn: An Italian States AAR

Looks awesome.

You should get DarthMod. It would make your graphics a bit better, maybe new units.

Nice AAR, I als played with the Italian States before I started this AAR, only France bacame my ally right in the beginning, because I didn't want them to declare war on me when I declared war to Spain, or better said, new Spain. Poland declared war to me because it didn't agree with my claim to the throne.. Ottomans where allied with Poland so they declared war on me to, so I had to take the entire balkan and unite with Prussia to take Poland, wich had already destroyed Austria. After that Russia declared war on me, Prussia turned their back at me and Sweden followed Prussia into war against me because they where allied, Maratha's declared war on me because they where allied with the Ottoman empire and England always declares war when my country is getting to big XD

So bassically I only have France as an ally and war with every nation except the Indian nation's and Mysore XD Prussia and Sweden fight together as one massive army in the north, every german city is defended by two fullstack prussian armies and two fullstack Swedish armies, Russia is unstoppable in the east and the Ottoman Empire just keeps reënforcing Istanbull with 5 fullstack armies already.. I also have to keep my navy on patrol, because English and Maratha's keep sending fleets with armies to take Rome or one of the Italian states.. XD

So one tip, do not go east It's just to great to defend I'm litterally surrounded.. Now I'm trying to take berlin. 1.500 against 4.500, but I can take it, then I only have to push through and take poland and east Prussia, at least I'm having a west and a east front then, instead of a west, east, north front. XD

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm looking forward to see how your campaing will go Hope it's going better then my campaign where Sweden and Prussia attack me in the back while I was having a long standing trade agreement with Sweden and even an alliance with Prussia..

Thanks for the positive responses. My goal is to get as close to this

as possible. So I'm kinda forced to go east aswell as north. At he moment my plan is to conclude the war with genoa and savoy, then wipe out venice. Following this I'm going to war dec. spain and try and fight a two-front war against france and spain with britain/dutch/austria as my allies.

I can't see anything in the spoiler Well as I understand it Poland will declare war on you when your king dies, they don't agree with your claim to the trone. So if you don't want a east front you should ally with Austria and make sure that they are winning the fight with Poland, because in my campaign Poland took Austria and I ended up fighting them.. But with small reinforcements at Wenen if Poland even gets there, Austria should be a good buffer and you won't have any worries in the East. Venice eventually alliances with Austria, so you should declare war to them before they are allies with Austria, otherwise it will be a lot harder to ally with Austria, although Venice will eventually declare war on you when you have taken the Spanish parts of Italy, if you have an alliance with Austria they won't choose a side as long as you don't ask them to assist you, so your alliance will be save then

But that was my experience, of course it could go otherwise, but about Poland not accepting your claim to the throne is standard I guess, so when your king dies you'll automatically be in war with Poland-Lithuania Good luck, I'm looking forward to see the rest of your AAR, I even picked up my Italian States game today XD Managed to get Berlin after 1.5 hour of fighting for it against Swedish and Prussian troops, that would have been a real good battle for a AAR
    Last edited by Swamidude; September 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM.

PLEASE NOTE: The screenshots which accompanied chapter 1 were accidently deleted. New ones will be uploaded shortly once chapter 2 is finished.
    Last edited by Delyon; September 17, 2011 at 06:31 PM.

An Empire Reborn: An Italian States AAR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 1: The Latin-Genoese War (part 2)

It wasn't long after the Genoese had lost their capital that they rebelled. This act of defiance was swiftly cut down as an example to any who would defy they glory of Rome.
    Roman forces marched out from Genoa in the winter of 1704 towards the forested foothills of the Ligurian countryside. Reports had indicated that the Genoese rebels were gathering an army there and after a short march a battle ensued. Documents at the time reveal the numbers on both sides and indicate that Rome had the advantage.
    The Second Battle of Genoa, Winter 1704

After setting up camp, the Roman Legion organised its forces for the coming battle. They used a 7-line deep formation which offered greater flexability over the set-piece single line strategies common for the day.
    The battle began when the Genoese marched down from the hills nearby to engage the Romans head-on.
    The armies meet and the main battle lines are drawn.
    The Romans move swiftly, using their flexability to exploit a gap that appears in the enemies main line.
    The attack is successful as Roman infantry charge through the gap.
    Soon after the Genoese right flank collapses and they attempt to form a new defensive line further back
    This new defensive line never materialises as the Genoese army rout from the field.
    With the battle over the romans count their dead. It was a resounding victory and now their attention would turn the city-state of Savoy as they were allies of Genoa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This concludes the second chapter, next is the siege of turin as Roman forces continue their dream of rebuilding the Roman Empire..

Very nice Wonder how it's gonna turn out