Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRAGONDAWN: LORE Q&A

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Icon5 DRAGONDAWN: LORE Q&A

I wanted a thread that was in the main forum bit, to allow people to ask questions about lore or any other specific, to keep it all together and easily viewable and simple to put these things together. I also wondered whether it was an idea to have somewhere where you can just ask soemthing about fabourite factions, or soemthing you just fancied asking in passing...one sentence questions or opinions, or whatever really.

It'll either prove useful, or it won't. So, if you want to know ANYTHING, however small, or you want to just chat about the weather, then do it here....maybe not the weather though, as it's probably different where you live compared to me.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; March 19, 2014 at 04:18 PM.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Default Re: QUESTIONS, ANSWERS AND REQUESTS

but we have this thread
    it serves the same purpose, doesn't it?

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: QUESTIONS, ANSWERS AND REQUESTS

This could be the Lore Questions thread, and the other one could be the Game Questions thread.

Stickied

Default Re: LORE QUESTIONS, ANSWERS AND REQUESTS

Nice...ta Pilgie. Sorry about forgetting to sort this out.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Nice...ta Pilgie. Sorry about forgetting to sort this out.
    Don't worry about it.

I got your back!

So is the world a literal dragon egg or is that just a belief among the inhabitants of the world in their own religions and legends? Or have I just misread everything .
    True bread is for True Romans

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by KozaK101 View Post
    So is the world a literal dragon egg or is that just a belief among the inhabitants of the world in their own religions and legends? Or have I just misread everything .
    More of analogy, really. It's like the myths of old about how our world, Earth, was created (e.g. the Norsemen believed that the Earth is actually the body of the slain Ymir, his bones being the mountains, etc.)

But then again, this is a fantasy world. It may be literal

who are the under dogs? who are the oppressors? who are evil dudes? who are the neutral dudes? and which faction supports legalization of weed?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    who are the under dogs?

Really, it's those races that are small, yet feisty such as the Ilien.

who are the oppressors?

Federal Council for one. Really, in terms of oppression, you need to look at each nation and their neighbors separately. The Empire may not seem as oppressive to the province of Myr Addat as they are to the Naugiri

who are evil dudes?

Evil is rather a subjective term, but the guys who hate everybody are the Ghaurchlai and Cthonae. Naugiri, Iryn Thaan, Chitkinnen, Wolfborn (I guess?), Federal Council etc. could be labelled as evil. But then again, much like the oppression discussion, it varies from faction to faction and their view points on the world. A human does not define evil the same way an orc or Chitkinnen does.

who are the neutral dudes?

These are the races that are pretty much just wanting to be left alone such as the Rhysthari and possibly the elven races in some respects.

and which faction supports legalization of weed?

I believe it is the Lindiri. They seem to have that certain "connection" to the forest and all of its blessings, if you know what I mean

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Iryn Thaan are not evil in any way, Holy. They hate Naugiri, and they might not be your 'snow-white good', but they are definitely not evil. Good-neutral, if you wish

Naugiri are not evil. They serve the dragon as all Elves do. Think of them as white blood cells.

Quote Originally Posted by KozaK101 View Post
    Nope, you haven't misread anything Well, from the outset, I designed the world as if it were an actual dragon. You have all sorts of elements of 'real' body structure and the races represent differing aspects of our bodies...Rhysthari combat illness and infection, humans are parasites, elves are symbiotic beings that clean, tidy and make sure ther body is as well nurtured as they can (almost like the little fish that follow sharks in some cases). I won't bore you and go into it all, but, yes, surprisingly, it IS an actual Dragon - egg is not the right word; chrysalis maybe? The continents you see heare are the back and wings.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    More of analogy, really. It's like the myths of old about how our world, Earth, was created (e.g. the Norsemen believed that the Earth is actually the body of the slain Ymir, his bones being the mountains, etc.)
    Yuo're not wrong...only the Rhysthari and Elves really understand what they live on......95% of humans don't have a clue...dwarves have an inkling but just can't stop the Hunger. Naugiri are symbiotic predators that attack the parasites; humans.

But then again, this is a fantasy world. It may be literal
    Yes. We haven't really gone into this aspect hugely, but many small chats have been had that have illuminated a couple of teamies.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    who are the under dogs? who are the oppressors? who are evil dudes? who are the neutral dudes? and which faction supports legalization of weed?
    Pilgie's essentially correct, but I'll clarify it.

UNDERDOGS

Iryn Thaan
    Badabaska
    Bandit Kings
    lesser degree

Dwarves (very fragmented)
    Cho Tetsu

OPPRESSORS

Well, Politically
    FEDERATION
    (WOLFBORN)
    SLAKE KINGDOM
    ASHAPUR

EVIL DUDES

Haladin
    Naugiri (only to humans)
    Federation
    Cthonae
    Ghaurchlai
    Ashapur

NEUTRAL

Dwarves
    Lindiri
    Iryn Thaan
    Badabaska
    Rhysthari
    Bandit Kings
    SUn King
    Cho Tetsu
    Wolfborn
    Orcs (in many ways)
    Principality

GOOD (idealism and moralistic)

Ildiri
    EMpire
    Selediri

I'll think more on this...it's not done the best way yet.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    Iryn Thaan are not evil in any way, Holy. They hate Naugiri, and they might not be your 'snow-white good', but they are definitely not evil. Good-neutral, if you wish
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Necromancer View Post
    Naugiri are not evil. They serve the dragon as all Elves do. Think of them as white blood cells.

Whoops. My bad. Lore is getting rusty already

Luckily my coding isn't!

When I read a post where Squeaks mentioned the Naugiri using ley cannons I started wondering, in what ways do the Rysthari and Naugiri use ley? Thank you for listening.
    Favorite Mods
    Thera, Call of Warhammer, Eras Total Conquest, Broken Crescent, Third Age Total War.
    Awaiting these Great Mods
    Dragonborn, Warcraft Total War, The Frontier, Faerun Total War, Dragonlance Total War, All Under Heaven, Planet War, Hyrule Total War, Murica Total War, Rising Sumer, Horsemen Of The Steppe.

The use of Ley by Naugiri and Rhysthari is very different to the elves.

Uhm, I'll explain the Naugiri first, as they're easier. Where the levs use Ley itself as a weapon, and to heal and alter things in reality, it is fairly subtle and well woven. The Naugiri use a very raw for of channeling - it still returns the Ley to the Dragon after use, but it is more used to manipulate physical ojects rather than as a direct application of magic.

An example of this are their Ley weapons. Where the elves simply concentrate magic is such a tight mesh that it tears apart what it strikes, the Naugiri's main weapon is the SKy SHredder, used to strike ground targets and air targets. They take hundreds od shards of metal and encase them in a Ley 'net'. When fired, it spins at great speed...as it moves, the ley unravels until it busts, sending thousandsa of shards to annihilate whatever is in it's range. They also make carapaces, which won't be in this mod I doubt. Here they make a metal case in the shape of whatever they need it for - common uses are as troops carriers, or burrwoing carapaces...they build the 'statue' of the carapace, then bind runes of Ley into which animate it and give it it's 'mind' so it performs it actions correctly.

Their sorcerors are normally Goblyns. You have the harpies and gargoyles; flying goblyns, that have ley infused gloves that fire shards of metal; you have crossbow like weapons that fire tiny balls of ley-net. Positive use of magic for the Naugiri is limited. They are the prefect 'Symbiotic-Predator', with very little use for anything that is not to help them kill. Don't mistake them as evil; they're a VITAL part of the Dragon's eco-system, not evil, but humans perceive them this way, as you would do if all you ever saw of them was a tide of death. SO basically, the elves have a very wide use of Ley, the naugiri have a very narrow use of it, but as a tool for killing, the Naugiri use it far more inventively and possibly with the least effort.

The Rhysthari are two things; they are there to heal and correct problems with the Dragon. Early on, they also learnt taht they were needed to combat the 'infection', which was the first mass manifestation of the CThonae. SInce that event, they have split their use of magic two ways; the path of Life and Healing, and the path of Rejection.

The path of life is the strongest use of WHite, GReen and Blue Magic there is, woven in combination; they are also the only race able to seperate the weavings of Ley colours...they vcan PREVENT say Black Ley from colliding with and destroying White Ley, commanding both to seperate and walk the same path as seperate powers.

They can grow new rock, they can give months of sunlight to a dying plant is seconds, allowing it to heal and grow. The Lizards can call on what they term Ispir to create, reduce, blend, augment. Two trees grwon together into one sickly tree can be moved aside to grow healthily. WHere there is no water, they can simply create some. Where the Dwarves mine Ley Crsytals, they stimulate growth of new clusters.

The flip side of Rhysthari magic is the use of Ley as a weapon. The main users of this form of their magic are the El-Witches. They stand as the greatest foe of both the Cthonae and Ghaurchlai in this way. They can use Ley in warfare much as the elves do, but it is still not as incisive as such a tool as the elves use is.

In war with the AByss, they can interefere, disrupt and dissipate abyssal magic, which simply ceases to be. They can actually move along abyssal magic threads, running across them at speed, almost 'teleporting'. More to the point, they can nullify any abyssal use, can unravel their artillery and their teleporters, can blanket the field of battle in a peace that reduces any emotive magic of the AByss; worse, they can cause FEAR in something that feels no emotion, making i so much more of a disrupting force to them. ANything the AByss can send can be unravelled; they can even take creatures that have absorbed more than one body to make their hosat and unravel the bodies.

Then there is Nidon Hal. It IS Magic. I won't go into that here, but a massive army Ghaurchlai tried to use the swamps as a shortcut to the Ildiri Kingdom and failed to understand the nature of the swamp.

In the Deep Swamps there are things that are unmentioned anywhere, avatars that are behemothic, there are strange tentacled creatures and vast entities with rows of razor sharp teeth that rise a hundred feet above the fetid water, only to come crashing down to swallow entire companies of men and horses. Suffice to say that no Ghaurchlai left the swamp to bring news of any disaster that may have taken them, to sink silently into the silt to be devoured by the mass of carnivores and insects that swarm everywhere in Nidon Hal.

I don't supopose this is a very good explanation at all, just something I've scrawled down. Had a go though

Actually, that was a very good description, and it answered all my questions. And this part:
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    In the Deep Swamps there are things that are unmentioned anywhere, avatars that are behemothic, there are strange tentacled creatures and vast entities with rows of razor sharp teeth that rise a hundred feet above the fetid water, only to come crashing down to swallow entire companies of men and horses. Suffice to say that no Ghaurchlai left the swamp to bring news of any disaster that may have taken them, to sink silently into the silt to be devoured by the mass of carnivores and insects that swarm everywhere in Nidon Hal.
    Was fantastic to read. Thank you a lot. And of course... All Hail Dragonborn!
    Favorite Mods
    Thera, Call of Warhammer, Eras Total Conquest, Broken Crescent, Third Age Total War.
    Awaiting these Great Mods
    Dragonborn, Warcraft Total War, The Frontier, Faerun Total War, Dragonlance Total War, All Under Heaven, Planet War, Hyrule Total War, Murica Total War, Rising Sumer, Horsemen Of The Steppe.

This sounds like a stupid question. Anyway. Is this somewhat related to "Skyrim" and "The Slder Scrolls"? I mean, the title and all...

Naw, it ain't stoopid...we expected this....

The answer is nope, it's not. It's quite a bit different...well, entirely...

It's no bother to ask questions like this though, so don't worry about it. Have a peek round and see if you like it EVEN THOUGH it's not Elder Scrolls. Given the armour in SKyrim, I wouldn't mind doing an elder scrolls mod

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Chitknen sound a lot like skaven(a faction of evil rat men in warhammer fantasy). Is that where you got the idea from?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by skynet464 View Post
    The Chitknen sound a lot like skaven(a faction of evil rat men in warhammer fantasy). Is that where you got the idea from?
    Firstly, welcome to the forums, Skynet (nice Necron Lord avatar, btw )

Secondly, I don't think Squeaks got all of her inspiration from them, but they may have been an influence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast