Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 486AUC

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 486AUC

CRIME!!

An infuriated Strabo bursts into the Senate house, his hands and body covered in ash. He is flanked by two of his slaves. In his hand is a bag.

Conscript Fathers! There has been a most heinous crime done in this most sacred of cities this day! I return from visiting a friend, only to find my home, my place of refuge, AFLAME! Nothing survived... not my books, not my possessions, not my slaves, except for the two that accompanied me. The only thing that I found... was this. This proof of the crime itself, no doubt left by those criminal parasites who committed the very crime...

Strabo throws the bag to the ground. The cheap cloth bursts open, and a shower of shining gold coins bounce to the floor in a cacophonous clatter. As they come to a rest, the face of Senator Caldius is apparent, under the words "Romanus Rex".

I accuse Senator Aulus Licinius Caldius of the destruction of my home!

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Manius gasps. He looks infuriated too, bursting the words out before he could think:

This is outrageous! Not such a crime have I seen during my life, such a betrayal of his fellow senator, of Rome itself! What is this man thinking? He is certainly mad! He has killed several people, slaves of another man, and all the records of the Aemelii! Is this how the lesser families try to bring down the greater ones nowadays? This is not Rome, this is madness!

Manius leaves the Curia half-running, himself being totally furious, only one goal in his mind: to find Caldius and make him pay.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Caius stood up and picked up one of the coins. He frowned as he watched it. Bad portrait. Still, looked like that pleb. He shook his head. This made no sense. Why would Caldius burn the house of a man who is no treat to him. Sure, if he burned down the house of Imperious. That at least would make sense. And why leave coins with your own face on it? Why leave something that traces back to you? So many questions. Or did Caldius think Strabo was the one who set his house aflame? Still, no reason to get your face on coins. And Strabo wasn't even in Rome that period. Seeing that Julii guy leave he walked to Strabo and stood closely next to him, trying to calm him. 'Calm, friend. If you need a place to sleep, feel welcome at my mansion. If you want to buy a new house immediately and need money for it, don't worry. I will lend you some with no loaning rates. And we will find the person who did it, Caldius is still in Rome. We can question him.' He gave Strabo a pat on the back and turned around.

Giving the curia a look he shouted. 'Senators, this is a very serious crime. Senator Strabo here is one of the more peaceful men I know, seeking only to harm Rome's enemies. As any other true and honest Roman would do. Even though the most obvious evidence points in the direction of senator Caldius I have my doubts. How is it related that senator Caldius would burn senator Strabo's house down and leave a bag of coins with his face on it? I say that before we reach fire off accusations towards senator Caldius we first ask him if he knows anything about that. As soon as the voting starts I urge others to vote for me, I will find the one who did this to a true and honest Roman and I will punish him accordingly. And I wont leave in such dire situations like my opponent.' Caius walked back to his seat and scribbled some things on a piece of parchment. He had to get to the bottom of this. Why would Caldius do this? Who would harm Strabo? And what if people blamed Caius himself? Strabo had been at his house, he had not told anyone about that. Only his household knew. At least he didn't had a motive.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Faustus had remained in the Senate for some time, he was contemplating recent events and future chances he'd have in securing the Republics historic foothold. Faustus raised an eyebrow at the talk of the heinous crime that was committed, he knew his reaction was key. If he over reacted, it would be obvious, if he didnt react at all, people would be suspicious. He reacted how any normal Senator would. "Senators, this is indeed an outrage." Faustus nodded, he was contemplative, something which would be out of the ordinary had it not been election time. "I do believe a through investigation is in order, Senator Strabo has been wronged by a fellow member of this Sacred Senate, a crime that is more heinous then anything." Faustus shook his head and looked away to the right of the Senate.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

A dusty messenger arrives in the Curia, he hands a letter to the nearest Senator and collapses in a heap. The letter holds the seal of the blackbird.

Senators of Roma,

I have been most successful in my mission to Sardinia and have conquered the town of Karalis and effectively the whole of the island at the same time. The Senate and people of Roma shall soon reap the benefits of this new province! I am preparing to sail to Sicily as we speak, and from there should link up with Consul Valerius to capture Lilybaeum.

I hope this letter finds you in good spirits my fine sirs, and I will say that any further letters addressed to me should go to Sicily, as I shall not be staying in Sardinia long.

Attached is the report from the battle, which was a great victory for our troops, the men fought well indeed, like professional soldiers even!

I have also taken the liberty to fund a city militia for Karalis from my own purse while I take the second legion to Sicily. Unless you wish the state to fund these men, I am more than happy to pay for them for now until more permanent troops can be stationed in the area.

I believe that the Quaestor Dives also has something to bring up in the Curia in terms of my role next term, but I will not write of it here, I would much rather speak to you myself.

May fortuna smile upon our city for eternity,

Consul Marcus Atrius Merula.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

"This is great news!" Faustus clapped as the messenger delivered his message. "Rome has expanded and we have seen our military might crush those who stand against us!" Faustus clapped again, obviously proud of the Consul's accomplishment.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456