Thread: Faction Preview: Hálogaland

Default Faction Preview: Hálogaland

In the great North Sea, between water and fjord islands lies Hálogaland. It's drowned coastline with extensive and mountainious fjords make it a rough home for only the ones who can withstand cold and lonelyness surrounded by water and ice.
    Hálogaland is also the northernmost region of Norway. It is a petty kingdom of Norway and one of the four most strongest and important kingdoms in northern Scandinavia, in the early Viking ages.

Strengths
    Excellent spear armed nobels and leidangmen, easy expansion to the north

Weaknesses
    Poor cavalry, far away from possible enemies as well as allies

Starting Regions

Bjarkarøy

Hálogaland and Bodvin

Units
    Hlaðir Skutilsveinar
    Tablemen of Lade, Noble Spearmen
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Háleygir Leiðangsfólk
    The Leidang fleet of Hålogaland
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

Default Re: Faction Preview: Hálogaland

I know what you thought... So we've seen a new faction preview, let's kick back now and wait another year for the next.
    Not so! I told you we're effective and here comes a very important faction created by by Absinthia.

And more to come
    Last edited by Úlfhéðinn; September 03, 2011 at 04:43 AM.

Historian - all things Viking Son of absinthia

ShadowGorrath's Avatar Foederatus

I can't wait for this mod

Kmotr's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhednin View Post
    I know what you thought... So we've seen a new faction preview, let's kick back now and wait another year for the next.
    Not so! I told you we're effective and here comes a very important faction created by by Absinthia.

And more to come
    Well, good luck.
    I'll chekin this forum fequently again ;-)

Laetus

If i can come with some suggestions, one of the major hålogaland settlements should be the Skiiràstadir(today Skjerstad) settlement, it was where the most powerful and wealthiest chieftains of the Salten region, like Raud Den Rame. Today it is an little village, but it was possibly the biggest in the region in the viking age. Today there is many burial mounds and traces of several big longhouses as well as huge boathouses, one suspected to have housed the legendary Ormen which became the model for Ormen Lange, the largest longship in history. The settlement is located in the Skjerstadfjord, a little bit east of Bodin. http://bdel.no/Galleri/d/11016-1/Skj...rklaringer.jpg Skiiràstadir is located just under where it stands Skjerstadfjorden in blue writing, it is the little peninsula.

Other thing, the Hålogaland vikings where the richest in the country, something that should be taken in consideration. Their main income was Stockfish and Clipfish, wish gave them HUGE incomes, Stockfish was Norway's biggest export commodity in the 1000 and later. Another trading resource was fur which the had in large quantities. Other commodities was : Soapstone, walrus and walrus teeths, whales, etc.

So there are some things that i think is important for the Hålogaland faction, i don't know if everything is set in stone, but i you want some advice on things regarding Hålogaland, send me an PM

Skjerstad is perhaps a bit close to Bodø and Gildeskål, both which are on our map. though the Håloga heartland could use some densening compared to Vestfold and other factions starting positions.
    what would b emost interesting is densening the settlements between Gildeskål and Lade, as a mean to draw Håloga expansion that way.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

SoulBlade's Avatar Vicarius

Amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Roman View Post
    Satan works in cunning way to keep us away of god. Sciene is the religion of Satan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes. View Post
    TWC is ruining my abilty to have an erection
    Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Regarding the Irish, if its between them and the Timurids:
    Irish: ran around bogs and forests munching on potatoes
    Timurids: slaughtered millions and threw empires into terror
    OK I'm not sure the Irish had potatoes in medieval times but that still doesn't tip things in their favour
    When in doubt, say - Trve Norsk Blækk Mettal

a

// [Last.fm][/SPOILER]
    Play Supremacy 1914, the free real-time strategy online games and the Browsergame of the Year 2009!

[SPOILER]

Supremacy1914 - the best MMO

Spoiler for Dangerous stuff
    Code:
    Signature stock:  

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    Skjerstad is perhaps a bit close to Bodø and Gildeskål, both which are on our map. though the Håloga heartland could use some densening compared to Vestfold and other factions starting positions.
    what would b emost interesting is densening the settlements between Gildeskål and Lade, as a mean to draw Håloga expansion that way.
    Good point, but if you are aiming for historical accuracy then in my point of view Skjerstad is a must, in the years 800-1000, it was a way more important settlement than Bodø. The position of Bodø was in the Viking age not optimal, too much wind and bad weather, i live there myself, always windy. Skjerstad was more defendable, with Salstraumen as an natural barrier. I don't if everything is set in stone, but Skjerstad is an location of high importance

But anyways, great mod, can wait to play as my ancestors!

Laetus

Btw if you want settlements between Salten and Lade i have some suggestions if you don't have them from before : Rødøy, Sandnes, Tjøtta and Torgar.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelius View Post
    Good point, but if you are aiming for historical accuracy then in my point of view Skjerstad is a must, in the years 800-1000, it was a way more important settlement than Bodø. The position of Bodø was in the Viking age not optimal, too much wind and bad weather, i live there myself, always windy. Skjerstad was more defendable, with Salstraumen as an natural barrier. I don't if everything is set in stone, but Skjerstad is an location of high importance
    replacing Bodø with Skjerstad should not be a problem.
    nothing is etched in stone yet, at least in my opinion.

from recent campaign testing it is evident that Hålogaland faction is quite isolated compared to the other Scandinavian factions. the mountains pose a pathfinding barrier and we need to pull Hålogalands attention towards Lade. some strategically placed merchants and ships has helped a bit. but settlements to conquer is key to have Hålogaland expand in the desired direction.

But anyways, great mod, can wait to play as my ancestors!
    Btw if you want settlements between Salten and Lade i have some suggestions if you don't have them from before : Rødøy, Sandnes, Tjøtta and Torgar.
    i know Tjøtta is on the map, i will check out the others.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Love the mod already. I have been subsribed to this forum for a long time, but you might wanna look at DoTS shorelines, because they have made it look really nice!

Bytheway, the sea graphics is a patch released for everyone I think! It looks really nice doesent it.

Like here