Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon: Total War 6.0, 7.0 & 8.0, Archaeological and Anthropological References

Default Re: Amazon: Total War 6.0 & 7.0, Archaeological and Anthropological References

Quote Originally Posted by naftykid View Post
    I have no idea about another Hafnia, I haven't found any information about a Hafnia apart from Copenhagen yet. I suggest the name Tribus Saxones ( BI name for that place).
    Or Aarhus or Horsen, or their equivalent references in 200BC.
    Amazon Total War: Where Synergies of Mobility, Firepower, & Fieldcraft Never End. Semper Puellis!

Default Re: Amazon: Total War 6.0 & 7.0, Archaeological and Anthropological References

Perhaps Waethel is better, which simply means "crossing". Aarhus was not around til 870AD, better than Copenhagen.
    Waethel is the crossing between river Grejs and river Vejle, the major junction leading the Arhus (Aarhus) or Copenhagen
    Test Coordinator, Amazons Total War

Quote Originally Posted by bibi g View Post
    Perhaps Waethel is better, which simply means "crossing". Aarhus was not around til 870AD, better than Copenhagen.
    Waethel is the crossing between river Grejs and river Vejle, the major junction leading the Arhus (Aarhus) or Copenhagen
    I like the name Waethel, whatever city or village was around, the crossing has always been there.
    Amazon Total War: Where Synergies of Mobility, Firepower, & Fieldcraft Never End. Semper Puellis!

I heard this on the radio this morning and thought you all might enjoy it:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rr7r7

download from:

www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/iot

Quote Originally Posted by Anfindol View Post

download from:

Interesting broadcast. This one is more about analysis on how Amazons are perceived in the context of the society and people of a period that described the Amazons.

And I am somewhat surprised to hear the connotation of Camilla to Greek Amazons by Caroline Vout. As far as I remember, Parthian Shot, (yes, our very own) is the first writer mentioned such connections (see her paper published here).

What is more, just with the information presented here in this forum + Parthian Shot herself can probably have her own BBC show on Amazons and would probably be a great deal more interesting. Just my opinion.
    Test Coordinator, Amazons Total War

Thank you both. Anfindol for the source of information and BB for her support and praise.

Yes, I published the connotation of Camilla to the Amazons back in the rtw.heavengames days. And I am not sure where Caroline find her sources.

I did listen to the broadcast but was not fully attentively because I was also typing out the resources roster at the time.

I did find the scholars invited are all history types, and no anthropologist was present. Paul did briefly mentioned the archaeology aspect of Amazon toward the latter half of the broadcast.

What I did state before is that Amazon could be.

1. scouting party of a wandering people.
    2. A priestess sisterhood, acting more like female version of Zorro to protect the oppressed people.

The scouting party of a wandering people theory stemmed from the facts
    a. All that Greek ever seen were females
    b. Most of the the Amazons have names (or nom de guerre) tied to horses

The basic thesis (of this mod) is that since ancient horses are small, women have advantages as forward scouts or flanking cavalry of an advancing army, or a column of migratory/wandering people. They can really go place where no man can go.

As regard to why they are never seen with men, or no men were seen among them: The answer is very simple, they are away from "home", be it a slow marching column or a base camp, "home" can be hundreds of miles back. And this is not far fetched, I have studied the Mongolian horde pattern as well as the military history of the nomad. It is not unusually the advanced scout company are 100-200 km from their column or base camp. For the scouts are not only looking out for trouble or troublemakers, they also need to locate water and grazing ground for their horde. When there are difficult terrain for the wagons or animals to negotiate, the scout were sent out to determine the best possible route to their destination. So it makes sense to have scouts a long way ahead of their column to determine the grazing grounds and water sources and whether such resources are enough to feed their people.
    If you see a Mongolian rider on a steppe pony with feet dangling and almost reaching the ground, you would realize a petite woman is much better suited as equestrian with that kind of ponies which are similar in size as most ancient horses. So a logical argument would say, "why don't they recruit young boys to do the same job?" Well, some nomadic societies might have, the problem with youth is that they are growing, by the time they are trained and experienced, they may no longer be suitable for the light cavalry work. A second problem is with their limbs, anyone coaches archery will see the hands and wrists of youth are much more fragile and weaker than an adult, even though they may have the appearance of the height or the stature.

And it is also more than possible that such equestrian society at the time are matriarchal society. Since only the women can scout ahead with ease, it is only logical to have women elder or shaman as leader of the entire column. Because in combat, the message can be sent via relay. In marching, decision of how to deal with a threat is best made on the spot.

The second thesis is that Amazons are Priestesses running a parallel theocratic government of the men-society. The details are covered in the paper published on TWC and else-where.

[Some of the aforementioned anthropology theses are entirely conceived by Parthian Shot. Written permission is needed to quote or use such information, in part or as a whole.]

Quote Originally Posted by Anfindol View Post

download from:

Quote Originally Posted by bibi g View Post
    Interesting broadcast. This one is more about analysis on how Amazons are perceived in the context of the society and people of a period that described the Amazons.

And I am somewhat surprised to hear the connotation of Camilla to Greek Amazons by Caroline Vout. As far as I remember, Parthian Shot, (yes, our very own) is the first writer mentioned such connections (see her paper published here).

What is more, just with the information presented here in this forum + Parthian Shot herself can probably have her own BBC show on Amazons and would probably be a great deal more interesting. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by parthian shot; April 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM.

Only you can come up with all these amazing theories and they do fit the anthropology interpretation to a tee. +rep
    Proud Mod Team Member of Amazon Total War

wheeliepaul's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Amazon: Total War 6.0, 7.0 & 8.0, Archaeological and Anthropological References

Have you ever heard of the Aegean amazons mentioned in this link. Could it be Geothe?
    http://pygmalionproject.tripod.com/amazons.html

Also find this link with some Amazon islands, maybe we can add these islands in the game
    http://www.myrine.at/Amazons/activ_e.html
    http://www.myrine.at/Amazons/aim.html

Default Re: Amazon: Total War 6.0, 7.0 & 8.0, Archaeological and Anthropological References

Yes, WP,

I actually was on the Island of Lemnos and a few other places. The societal outlooks of the cultures are interesting to say the least.

Since 8.0C the faction of Amazonia has been renamed Themiskyra, for the reference of Amazonia was thought as too broad, and the original full name was Thermodon Amazonia, which was accurate but too long.

It looks like dance but according to Katerina Tarnovska, it is the simile of original Amazon Martial Art of Ukraine from the ancient days.

Last edited by parthian shot; December 10, 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Vice's interview with Warrior Women of Asgarda.

The leader, Keterina Tarnovska claims lineage from Ukrainian Amazons.

Please note that though the view expressed in this video shares some similarity with the Amazons Total War mod's anthropological theses, they are completely independent movement from the mod or Parthian Shot's theses.

Also please exercise caution and viewer discretion because of some mature scene or topics:

Last edited by parthian shot; December 10, 2013 at 09:44 PM.

this post does not try to espouse the Asgarda cause, or the true intent of their movement.

But I find the movement anthropologically interesting because they are right at the epicenter of the Ancient Amazon Archaeological finds from ancient time.

http://www.planet-mag.com/?s=asgarda

Quote Originally Posted by parthian shot View Post
    this post does not try to espouse the Asgarda cause, or the true intent of their movement.

But I find the movement anthropologically interesting because they are right at the epicenter of the Ancient Amazon Archaeological finds from ancient time.

http://www.planet-mag.com/?s=asgarda
    Here is another report outlining the VICE video.

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/ku.../#.UrH9qNJDtfo

This thread is now re-opened.

Libertus

How can Suez canal exist in 254 BC?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

BTW, after watching those youtube videos, I started to think that Kate is a descendant of jyazii amazons. She and her apprentices talk like them, fight like them and dress like them. =))
    Last edited by naftykid; December 06, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Amazon: Total War - Campaign tester.

Quote Originally Posted by naftykid View Post
    How can Suez canal exist in 254 BC?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

BTW, after watching those youtube videos, I started to think that Kate is a descendant of jyazii amazons. She and her apprentices talk like them, fight like them and dress like them. =))
    It doesn't, but a series canals allowed Alexander The Great to launch expedition around the Red Sea and down the African Coast.

keep getting Descr-strat error line 27 expected date to start campaign keeps asking me to choose from list when i exit game get the error notice

Make sure you are running from the BI extension, Barbarian Invasion, not the Rome Total War mode

Also make sure you did not overwrite your original files from RTW/BI with the new files.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12