Page 4 of 245 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

Default Re: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

Very nice Steph, I like all the small little details you are focusing on as well as the big thing

Also, one more thing, pretty much all the flags need to be overhauled, I hate the vanilla ones, most are completely off...

EDIT: YAY! I'm in the credits
    Last edited by Dee Jay; September 09, 2011 at 10:00 PM.

lordoftheT's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    When starting a campaign, the advices are not given by the lady-who-should-not-know-much-about-warfare, but by the king in person. The camera moves to show your objectives, and threads, and it's more detailed and smoother.
    A small change but a good one I think. Should definitely give the mod an even more polished feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
    Very nice Steph, I like all the small little details you are focusing on as well as the big thing

Also, one more thing, pretty much all the flags need to be overhauled, I hate the vanilla ones, most are completely off...
    Agreed. Would it be possible to extend the uniform changes by era to the flags as well if you do replace them? I know the French at least went through a number of different flag designs as the wars went on.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

For the flags, we are using NTF, I think most are nice, but we plan to check all of them and possibly make some adjustement.
    If you check the entry for France in the first page, I have included the battle flag. In the screenshot above, you have the national flag. They are often different.

The engine doesn't allow flag changes. In an ideal world, the flag would be an entry in the flagbearer variant, same as hats or torso, and so we could select a different textures for every unit.
    That would be awesome... But CA didn't thought about that and we can't add it .

Patrician Artifex

Info added for Great Britain in the first page with new king portrait, and victory conditions

Cool, thanks for the update

And yeah, CA stuffed up in Napoleon and Empire, Shogun is more a lot better, but yeah.

I would be glad to make flags for your mod, I wont need to make any battle flags because NTF has most them right, but all the campaign flags are totally retarded. So so you think I could give them all a shot? I have the right files here...

Patrician Artifex

Perhaps later, we have not decided which flags to keep yet.

But feel free to post images here for suggestion

Here are a few samples from my previous work:

If you can see or not, my flags have not been stretched at all, instead I just use alpha channels so that the game allows them to be the correct size, so all nations flags are exactly the right size.

I have made them not look perfect, they look a bit worn out, I always hate the look of visual, absolute orderd perfection.

And I have not included the coat of arms on the nations flag, I have no idea why CA done that.

These flags are 100% historical, I use nothing but reliable sources.

Tell me what you think, if you like them I can give the whole lot to you

EDIT: I just noticed the Russian flag looks a bit bright

Patrician Artifex

For Russia, we prefer the Imperial standard

Your Prussian flag is incorrect, it's the flag of the kingdom of Prussia starting in 1892.

The one we already have is the correct one.

I thnink both your flag and ours are valid for Bavaria, but I prefer the losanged one as it's more typical, and more in line with the battle flag

Ok, I thought that was the correct Prussian flag? Oh well.

EDIT: Never mind, your right, my mistake

And I dont think that the Bavarian flag in NTF is correct, wouldn't it be better anyway to have flags that are less similar, for more of a variety?
    Last edited by Dee Jay; September 10, 2011 at 01:49 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
    And I dont think that the Bavarian flag in NTF is correct, wouldn't it be better anyway to have flags that are less similar, for more of a variety?
    I didn't found much detailed reference for Bavaria national flag. Both your flag and ours seems to have existed, and since I have reference of the battle standard with losange, and the arms of the king of Bavaria also has the losange flag, I think it makes sense to keep it.

I don't want to introduce different flags just for the sake of variety. I think it's important to have something which is characteristic, and the losanges seem better for that.

The stripped bicolor flag would be very similar to the Westphalian flag for instance, losange is more unique.

Ok than, but the flags that defiantly need changing are the Austrian, Wurttemberg, Saxon and Hessen

Patrician Artifex

Make proposition for discussion if you want

The flag of Wurttemberg should be like until 1817 I think (the red and black seems to be post 1817), but this is civil flag, I'm not sure it's the best as national standard.

Last edited by Steph; September 10, 2011 at 06:17 AM.

Does there even need to be a discussion about it? Does anyone think that these flags should be kept, even though there is an oportunity to make them correct?

Patrician Artifex

I don't pretend to have all the historically correct flags, so if anyone can provide new images and reference supporting new flag proposition, I can change them.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I don't pretend to have all the historically correct flags, so if anyone can provide new images and reference supporting new flag proposition, I can change them.
    The proposed Russian flag shown in an earlier post is highly questionable. See Flags of the World http://www.1uptravel.com/flag/flags/ru_emp.html the 1883 the tricolor [previously the merchant ensign] became the state flag of Russia, [along with the black - golden - white flag. Both were replaced in 1914.]

I will let you have a pack of information on flags/standards/ensigns showing examples that are as correct as I can find. There may be the odd gap where the information is just not available or highly questionable....
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

I know many people might think this is not very important, but i'm gonna say it anyway. I've seen many mods that have made their own description box (text) of units, countries and whatnot, such as the country shown in the picture: United Kingdom.

But one thing i noted is that they place the text compacted in one paragraph, which makes it unappealing to the anyone read the whole thing, why every modder forgets about grammar? i'm just saying this because i think this mod will be grand, and it's the most up to date of all mods, thus to keep this mod even more professionally made. CA did that well at least.

Like for exmaple in that text, it should be arranged as follows:

United Kingdom of Great Britian.

Great Britain it's a constitutional monarchy... liberty. It's people are... measure.
    < new paragraph >
    Foreigners are quite simply, just... pie. Britons make... difficult.
    < new paragraph >
    The "English"... dying...

Most mods probably do not do that because they have no idea how to, it took me a while to learn how. I hope you know how to Steph, because I agree.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt's Beaten Drum View Post
    I know many people might think this is not very important, but i'm gonna say it anyway. I've seen many mods that have made their own description box (text) of units, countries and whatnot, such as the country shown in the picture: United Kingdom.

But one thing i noted is that they place the text compacted in one paragraph, which makes it unappealing to the anyone read the whole thing, why every modder forgets about grammar? i'm just saying this because i think this mod will be grand, and it's the most up to date of all mods, thus to keep this mod even more professionally made. CA did that well at least.
    It's not our priority at the moment, but ultimately it would be nice to make new texts for every units and factions. When we do this, we'll take care of that.
    In between, we just the vanilla text, or a simple place holder (like "Sweden" in the description of Sweden), to be sure everything is set up correctly in the tables.
    Then, adding text is just a matter of editing one file.

And DJ, yes I know how, it's just quite low at the bottom of the priority list. I'm working on something that would do a lot more for immersion in the game.

Saddletank's Avatar Tiro

Its good to see that this mod is making progress now. Good luck with it guys, I shall keep an eye on it! I can't offer many skills though I'm happy to do any testing and feedback you need.

Patrician Artifex

News of the day: I have started an overhaul of all the voices. For the moment, I'm keeping the standard voices, but I reorganized them and re affect them to the units.

The goal is to have each unit always speak in its native language. The KGL will speak German even if owned by the British faction, the Polish lancer of the French Imperial Guard speak Polish, with from time to time some French voices from their Officer, etc. If you manage to capture England and recruit British troops there, they will speak English, even if you are France or Russia...

But we wan't to go further, and not only re affect the existing voices, but also had new voices.

Help needed
    We want the units to have a name in their proper national language, and we would also like to make a voice overhaul, where the units would speak the correct language. Like avoiding having the Greek units speak Turkish.
    For that, we need help. If you are fluent in one of the needed language and also need to know enough of the Napoleonic eras to translate properly terms such as Grenadiers, Cuirassiers, Artillery, Form Squares..., we could get your help for:
    a) Translating names.
    b) If you have a microphone and can regard yourself, record short sentences of your voice speaking key sentences such as "Form Square", "Charge", "Grenadier".

The following languages are needed:
    - Hungarian
    - Danish
    - Greek
    - Croatian
    - Romanian
    - Catalonian
    - Gaelic (Irish or Scottish)
    - Norwegian
    - Finnish
    - Breton

You could also contribute if you speak
    - German
    - Dutch
    - Swedish
    - Polish
    - Italian
    - Russian
    - Spanish
    - Portuguese
    - Turkish

This either to correct some voices if you think they are not correct, or to complete some of them for the units we will add in future roster.

I know for instance that the French voices have several errors (I wonder who's the idiot CA hired to make the translation). But l'Aigle and I will take care of that.

If you are interested, contact me. It's not really a short term task, you can take your time, but be aware that we may contact each volunteer later, as new needs arise when we add new units in the roster of the factions as we make them in the future.
    Last edited by Steph; September 13, 2011 at 01:29 AM.