Page 3 of 245 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

Default Re: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

This compilation could be interesting. There are some good ideas nevertheless few things are not clear to me.

As I can understand you plan implement some smaller states as playable factions as like Denmark, Portugal, Holland, Bavaria, Wurttemberg, Saxony and Hessen.

I guess this last one it will be Hessen Darmstad not Hessen Kassel which was part of Kingom of Westphalia from 1807 to late 1813.

I wonder why you do not include Polish faction as playable. It could be interesting for many players.
    Poland had very impresive history at that period and Polish formed much more units than all these mentioned above states.
    They fougth hard in many campaigns e.g. during Russia Campaign in 1812 they formed c.a. 100,000 men under arms.

There also existed Duchy of Warsaw and Republic of Danzig from 1807-1814.

Few years earlier there was big Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth which cased to exist in 1795, but Polish still fought for their independence, therefore they formed many Legionary and other type of units in French servise.

I wrote today short information about few Polish units here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=10251330#post10251330

Do not forget about Polish uprisings too. There were many greater and smaller revolts in 1794, 1797, 1806, 1830/31, 1846, 1848 and 1863. It was little bit earlier or later than Napoleonic period, but it shows that Polish still wanted to fought for freedom. It could be interesting event in NTW mods too.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by exNowy View Post
    As I can understand you plan implement some smaller states as playable factions as like Denmark, Portugal, Holland, Bavaria, Wurttemberg, Saxony and Hessen.

I guess this last one it will be Hessen Darmstad not Hessen Kassel which was part of Kingom of Westphalia from 1807 to late 1813.
    The campaign starts in september 1805, so it's still Hessen Kassel. Preventing it from being absorbed by the French is the challenge. This faction will probably be very hard to play with.
    However, since the map doesn't have much regions, and for more variety, you will probably have a mix of Hessen KAssel and Hessen Darmstadt troops available.

I wonder why you do not include Polish faction as playable. It could be interesting for many players.
    Poland had very impresive history at that period and Polish formed much more units than all these mentioned above states.
    I saw that coming a mile away. Don't worry, l'Aigle and I are very fond of Poland, and we plan to make later a full roster of Polish troops.

Some French may have forgotten that, we haven't

But in September 1805, Poland is not an independant state, so there is no reason to make it playable. However, if Poland get free, they will have a full list of units.
    Also, if France occupies Poland (i.e. "Free it from Prussia and make it a strong ally"), the French player will be able to recruit Polish troops in Poland.

A note about that: the diplomacy model of NTW is a little limited, so we have decided that if France occupies Poland (instead of freeing it), it shouldn't be considered as an "invasion", but rather as the creation of a state very close to France, close enough that France can control the creation of troops, and control these troops. We consider it models the closeness of the two countries better than making a free state that then doesn't really now how to play cooperatively.

In the French roster, we have included a few Polish troops that could be recruited in some French controlled regions like Piemont, contrary to the Polish troops we'll do later that will be recruitable in Wielkopolska only (name of the region in our mod). However, the atlases (and we already have 4 for France) are full to the top and we cannot squeez any more units. Others will be in the Polish roster.

BTW, if you are Polish, we have translated the names of all the units. When we finalized the Polish roster, we'd be happy to have our translation double checked by a native speaker.

FIVE STARS!!!

Great work Steph & l'Aigle!! It's exciting to finally see what you guys have envisioned at the start of this year. I must commend you for a job well-done! I didn't expect this project to be so monumental initially.

Havin released all those units I've kinda lost the drive to make more units myself. These days I'm balancing my spare time helping out with ROW & my Portrait mod. Now that I think of it, I'm really just a part-time modder .

Just out of curio, will you folks release a separate unit submod of just the minor minor factions instead (mecklenburg, westphalia, oldenburg etc) ?? That way, you'll give people another choice who only wish to include the awesome minor faction units you've made.

I forgot to present to you both my trophy of appreciation lol

From your grateful fan
    + rep rep

Last edited by Sacrebleu!; September 07, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Thanks for the kind words!

Each faction, wether minor or major, will have its own submod, with the atlases, icons and textures.

However, if some minors (Oldenbug and Mecklemburg) are so minor that they don't fill a full atlas, and can all fit in one, then we'll merge them in one pack.
    Last edited by Steph; September 08, 2011 at 01:44 AM.

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

So, how long till you guys are going to release a demo of your mod, for France and UK?

Also, do you guys need some artwork for your mod? I'd be happy to give it a try

Patrician Artifex

The demo/beta will be released... when it is ready .
    We decided from the start that we would take our time to make things right. We know it's a mod that will take months to complete, and are in no hurry. We don't want to put additional pressure with deadlines.
    The only thing I can promise is to post regular updates, and since we are making something modular to propose updated versions regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph
    The campaign starts in september 1805, so it's still Hessen Kassel. Preventing it from being absorbed by the French is the challenge. This faction will probably be very hard to play with.
    However, since the map doesn't have much regions, and for more variety, you will probably have a mix of Hessen KAssel and Hessen Darmstadt troops available.
    Join Darmstadt and Kassel is little bit strange idea. From political and military points of view it was nearly imposible at that period. Both Hessen were very small states located between two agresive powers as like France and Prussia. Both Hessen feared that they could be annexed by one of these great factions. Their princes did not like themsevles and can not prepare any real defence against French or Prussians. Even joined Hessen can not withstand their attacks and can not be fully independent states. It clearly lead to catastrophe, but maybe someone likes it and will try defend Hessen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph
    In the French roster, we have included a few Polish troops that could be recruited in some French controlled regions like Piemont, contrary to the Polish troops we'll do later that will be recruitable in Wielkopolska only (name of the region in our mod). However, the atlases (and we already have 4 for France) are full to the top and we cannot squeez any more units. Others will be in the Polish roster.
    Very well that you will include Polish roster. But in Piedmont there were no recruited Polish units. Polish could be recruited in French controlled regions as like Milan (North Italy), Metz (Lorraine), Strasburg (Alsace), Augsburg (Bavaria). There were formed few Polish Legions as like Polish Italic, Danube and Nord. Vistula Legions was formed at Silesia in 1807, from these Polish Legionaries which returned to Poland from Italian Neaples. Later they were strengthened to 4 Vistula Infantry Regiments and 2 Vistula Lancer Regiments. Polish Legionaries fought very hard in many campaigns in Italy 1797-1806, South Germany 1799-1800, San Domingo 1802, Prussia/Poland 1807, Spain 1808-1812, Russia 1812, Germany 1813, France 1814.

Many Polish troops also were created in Duchy of Warsaw in Posen and Calisia (Wielkopolska), Warsaw, Plock and Łomża (Mazowsze) from 1807, Lublin, Krakow, Zamość (Małopolska) from 1809. Additionally there were created Polish Lithuanian units in Vilno (Lithuania), Bialystok (Poland), Minsk (Bialorus) in 1812.

From 1807 in Gdansk (Danzig), and few Prussian fortresses as like Szczecin (Stettin), Kostrzyń (Kustrin) and Głogów (Glogau) also stationed 3 Polish Infantry Regiments, each comprised of 3 battalions. There were 4th Horse Chasseur Regiment and horse artillery company too.

Next 3 Infanrty regiments and artillery company were sent to Spain and later they went to Russia too.
    In 1809 small Duchy of Warsaw Army quickly grow in strength and win impresive campaign against Austrian. During Russia Campaign Polish formed near 100,000 men under arms. All they were allied or servised for French.

I think that Polish deserves to be playable or strongly allied with France faction.
    Last edited by exNowy; September 08, 2011 at 03:33 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Join Darmstadt and Kassel is little bit strange idea. From political and military points of view it was nearly imposible at that period. Both Hessen were very small states located between two agresive powers as like France and Prussia. Both Hessen feared that they could be annexed by one of these great factions. Their princes did not like themsevles and can not prepare any real defence against French or Prussians. Even joined Hessen can not withstand their attacks and can not be fully independent states. It clearly lead to catastrophe, but maybe someone likes it and will try defend Hessen.
    I wasn't very clear. We'll do a roster included both Kassel and Darmstadt units, but what units you can build will depends on who control the region. If France, it will be Darmstadt, if Prussia, Kassel, etc.

Very well that you will include Polish roster. But in Piedmont there were no recruited Polish units. Polish could be recruited in French controlled regions as like Milan (North Italy), Metz (Lorraine), Strasburg (Alsace), Augsburg (Bavaria). There were formed few Polish Legions as like Polish Italic, Danube and Nord. Vistula Legions was formed at Silesia in 1807, from these Polish Legionaries which returned to Poland from Italian Neaples. Later they were strengthened to 4 Vistula Infantry Regiments and 2 Vistula Lancer Regiments.
    Thanks for the update, I can use it to correct some area of recruitment for Polish units fighting for the French.

I think that Polish deserves to be playable or strongly allied with France faction.
    Yes, but it won't be historically correct to have Poland as independant starting in September 1805. We think our solution is the best compromise to propose a strong Poland rosters, while keeping an historical start.

Very nice! + rep

agranel's Avatar Civis

Looking forward for this great masterpiece. Keep the good work!

...and thank you very much!

Patrician Artifex

And today, I present to you: the French roster!

Check the first page for detailed list of the included units

I am very excited about this mod.

L'aigle's textures are very very good.

I tried to play Shogun total war but I am definitely back to NTW as French 1st Empire is, will and has always been my favorite era for historical tactical/strategical games.

If you plan on changing the battle resolution system, however these are in my opinion things that need to be changed from vanilla NTW:

- Generals being killed far too often.
    - Skirmishers and voltigeurs companies taking too much casualties from friendly fire when they are (historically) deployed in front of their parent battalions.
    - Melee combat for infantry being totally useless in this game when compared to fire combat (english vision of early 19th century warfare). As an example, russian soldiers were known for being not really efficient when firing their musket but at the same time, they were truly fearsome melee fighters. Frenches also were good at melee.
    - Screwed up formation system, there are currently nearly no advantages to deploy a battalion in column rather than line. Here again, this reflect a purely "English" vision of early 19th century warfare. In french armies, attack column and line formations were equally used with both having advantages and drawbacks, line being more a fire formation while attack column was used for charging with the bayonet (better movement and morale boost).

One more thing, is there a plan to use shinier textures for french cuirassiers and carabiniers' cuirasses than the one used in the previous l'aigle's mod ? Those used by Pdguru for his heavy cavalry reserve are marvelous.
    Last edited by Bellicose; September 08, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
    Qual ten la lenga, ten la clau que de sas cadenas lo desliura.

lordoftheT's Avatar Senator

I'm loving what I see so far particularly the inclusion of Gendarmes and the Marie-Louise conscripts.

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

Quote Originally Posted by lordoftheT View Post
    I'm loving what I see so far particularly the inclusion of Gendarmes and the Marie-Louise conscripts.
    Really? That's the thing about this mod that you particularly like?

Patrician Artifex

Each one can have a particular point of interest, and not care about others.

When will this mod be downloaded?
    I look very forward to this
    I want to be part
    Excellent, I love it seriously, this might change the course of the game, um how did you change the funds, perhaps it could be higher,
    I really look forward to this keep up the good work of NTW MoE!
    XD LOL! IMPERIALISM REALISM and HISTORICAL ACCURACY is finally here!

Patrician Artifex

For the fund, I changed it in the UI files. If you are interested, TC made a mod giving more freedom to change it, and it's a standalone mod.
    I didn't increase it much more, because you are limited by the 20 unit limits anyway. If one day we discovered how to change that in custom battles, I'll increase it more.

lordoftheT's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
    Really? That's the thing about this mod that you particularly like?
    I've always thought that Napoleonic Gendarmes had cool uniforms and I like the idea of having to use fresh conscripts to try to hold line in a crisis.

The UI changes are great too it'll be nice to actually be able to tell what unit I'm recruiting rather than swimming in a sea of overlapping unit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    For the fund, I changed it in the UI files. If you are interested, TC made a mod giving more freedom to change it, and it's a standalone mod.
    I didn't increase it much more, because you are limited by the 20 unit limits anyway. If one day we discovered how to change that in custom battles, I'll increase it more.
    If I recall some one found a way to increase the number of units in your army in campaign mode though I haven't tried it my self so I can't say how well it works.

Patrician Artifex

New Screenshots of the day, about the campaign

The Grand Campaign is playable with 16 factions. Some are easy... Some will be very hard.

You can notice with France here that the victory conditions require to capture more regions than in the normal game.

Since the campaign ends in 1815 (and starts in September 1805), you have more time to achieve victory.

Even the smaller factions have their own victory conditions, and they have their historical leader.

When starting a campaign, the advices are not given by the lady-who-should-not-know-much-about-warfare, but by the king in person. The camera moves to show your objectives, and threads, and it's more detailed and smoother. For Sweden, I have 12 different camera movement (compared to 4 for Britain in the vanilla game).

You can notice above that you can zoom out more. And below that you can zoom in more.

And to finish for today, a sample of our new loading screens