Page 2 of 245 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752102 ... LastLast

Thread: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

Dee Jay's Avatar I'm gone....

Default Re: Napoleon : Masters of Europe (MoE), a new mod by l'Aigle and Steph

Ok then, my bad. Also I would love to suggest the Corsican Rangers for the Brits, seems as they were a pretty famous unit during the Peninsular War. But it looks like you have finalized the unit roster.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

We may add some other units later as "occupied" when doing other factions. But there are many other foreign troops around there, and we have to stop somewhere.
    Last edited by Steph; September 01, 2011 at 04:54 PM.

Hey Steph, any updates with your mod?

I made my first finished mod there is a link in my signature, test it if you want. Your mod is also in my sig.

Also noticed that you finally have a signature

Patrician Artifex

Now that we finally decided for the name, it's easier to have the signature.

Here is a small update of the Army Setup screen.

You now have 3 buttons to select the early, middle or late period. The available units are of course updated accordingly, and the army preset is also specific to each faction, period and available funds.

By default you start in 1812+

But with one click you can play in 1807-1811

Or in 1805-1806. You can perhaps notice that with small funds you have 5500 instead of the normal 5000.

miguelmm's Avatar Civis

it looks awesome, great job Steph!

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Yay the more people are working on Lua's the better! .

Very nice Steph, your doing a lot of things that no one else has done before + rep

I was wondering what nation you guys are going to retexture now? Is it Prussia?

Also, I have a bunch of points to hopefully improve your British roster:

- Their troops were "of Foot" instead of "of the Line", so it would be "Infantry of Foot". The French called it "of the Line" because thats what their regiments were called, "1st Regiment of the Line", "2nd Regiment of the Line", British have "1st Regiment of Foot", "2nd Regiment of Foot". You get it.

- You don't seem to have any 12pdr guns in the army, it's a myth that the Brits didn't use them, but they defiantly did, even the Horse Artillery did.

- I'm not all for the Unique Regiments, like the Coldstream Guards, Blackwatch, Royal Welsh, etc. I think you removed them for the French, not sure, but I think you should remove them, to me they are just an exact copy of the regular troops, but different people have different opinions.

- You haven't seemed to include the Light Infantry of the Coldstream Guard, they were pretty famous in the Peninsular War.

- Highlanders don't seem to have Grenadiers. Their Grenadiers are much better than their light troops, yet you included them.

- I also hope that you have actually made the uniforms 100% historically accurate, that would be a really great feature, for UK and France.

I think thats about it. Sorry for the double post by the way.
    Last edited by Dee Jay; September 05, 2011 at 03:22 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay View Post
    I was wondering what nation you guys are going to retexture now? Is it Prussia?
    Yes, Prussia is next. We have just finalized the list of units and references with Prince of Essling.

- Their troops were "of Foot" instead of "of the Line", so it would be "Infantry of Foot". The French called it "of the Line" because thats what their regiments were called, "1st Regiment of the Line", "2nd Regiment of the Line", British have "1st Regiment of Foot", "2nd Regiment of Foot". You get it.
    This will be visible in the campaign with the name of the regiments, where newly produced French units will be "1er régiment de Cuirassiers", "27čme régiment d'infanterie de ligne", or the British "42nd regiment of Foot"

- I'm not all for the Unique Regiments, like the Coldstream Guards, Blackwatch, Royal Welsh, etc. I think you removed them for the French, not sure, but I think you should remove them, to me they are just an exact copy of the regular troops, but different people have different opinions.
    We have kept only a few of them (Coldstream, Connaught, Blackwatch, Royal Welch), and you'll notice that some are different.
    Due to the unit limit, we have for instance the Blackwatch as grenadier, the Royal Welch, while the "unammed" Highlander are center companies, and so os the Fusilier. You can see that with the icons : the Blackwatch have the shoulder wings, while the other highlander don't have it.

- You haven't seemed to include the Light Infantry of the Coldstream Guard, they were pretty famous in the Peninsular War.
    Some choice here, to keep some balance in the number of units for the guard, and not end with more grenadier and light than center companies.

- Highlanders don't seem to have Grenadiers. Their Grenadiers are much better than their light troops, yet you included them.
    See above, the Grenadiers are the Blackwatch. Given the scale of the game, we cannot represent in details the full British army, we have to use some "symbolism", so we considered the Blackwatch to be representative of the Highland grenadiers.

- I also hope that you have actually made the uniforms 100% historically accurate, that would be a really great feature, for UK and France.
    Or course we did our best, and with different time periods. However, as said above, unless we included hundreds of units with many atlases, we cannot make ALL the combinations with all the tiny details.
    So some time you have to make a few compromises.

Ok, thanks for answering all those questions so quickly

Hi this is thery interesting mod ... but I have a question... This mod will be compatible with the other major mods ? Like The righst of Men 2 ?

NO WAY! This mod is a Partial Overhaul, so is Rights of Men, you can't make 2 Partial Overhauls compatible with eachother. This isn't just one of those little mods, ITS MASSIVE.

EDIT: @ Steph, have you made more than 4 nations playable for the Grande Campaign? If you have, that might be worth putting in your UI Changes post
    Last edited by Dee Jay; September 06, 2011 at 07:08 AM.

So if this mod is massive will be included also gameplay and battle and campaign mechanics imporeved ? because I pretty love these textures

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by 20° Maine Trooper View Post
    Hi this is thery interesting mod ... but I have a question... This mod will be compatible with the other major mods ? Like The righst of Men 2 ?
    Not really. We won't want to guarantee any compatibility with other major mods. But we are designing our mod in a kind of modular way, so other mods could use part of it if they want.
    But that will be the other mods problem, not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay
    Steph, have you made more than 4 nations playable for the Grande Campaign? If you have, that might be worth putting in your UI Changes post
    Yes, but at the moment we are busy polishing the French roster with a few minor tweaks. When they are ready, the next update will be this French roster.
    And then, while l'Aigle is working on the Occupied French roster (expect some nice surprises ), I will give more information about the Grand Campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Jay
    So if this mod is massive will be included also gameplay and battle and campaign mechanics imporeved ? because I pretty love these textures
    We have already tweaked the battle stats of every unit you can see here. Actually, they are all NEW units, and not a retexture of the old one.
    Our mod is designed to be independant, it doesn't touch any of the original file, so you can easily play the normal game by removing pour mod packs from the user.scripts.txt

We have also modified the battles, and change the recruitment system in the campaign (see info about that in the first page). More campaign changes will be done later. I'll talk about objectives after the French roster update.

Yeah, Steph has mentioned that they made their own battle mechanics.

And for the Campaign Mechanics they have already done some stuff that no one else has, like they have a pretty unique AoR, thats all I know about, but I'm not sure what their doing with the AI

EDIT: I just saw Steph answered before me

So with these occupied French units, will they include Royalist Frenchies, or you keeping that a surprise?
    Last edited by Dee Jay; September 06, 2011 at 07:41 AM.

Patrician Artifex

Yeah, Steph has mentioned that they made their own battle mechanics.

And for the Campaign Mechanics they have already done some stuff that no one else has, like they have a pretty unique AoR, thats all I know about, but I'm not sure what their doing with the AI
    We want to tweak the AI, but we need to add the AOR system fully first, and it takes time as I need to edit a lot of entries in the startpos.
    Tweaking the campaign AI before we can test it with the full new AOR system may be a waste of time.

Beside, our short term goal is to release a kind of demo version, with custom battles involving only the French and British. I'll spend more time on the campaign after that.

Patrician Artifex

So with these occupied French units, will they include Royalist Frenchies, or you keeping that a surprise?
    If I tell, it's not a surprise

Ok got it ..... One least question this mod will include also graphic effects ? Like smoke blood and the sound effects ? Like the muskets and the drums ? and maybe some animation mod ? Thanks for quick answers anyway

Patrician Artifex

Our expertise is in textures for l'Aigle, and db / scripting for me.

We have already integrated smoke from Whiff of Sulphur, edited by me, and I'm using some other animations. I will post a full list of credits this evening in the first page. However, these are not from us, but third party mods.
    Since we want the mod to be clean and self sufficient, I have integrated them in our mod packs, after checking they work as intended with the mod.

For the sounds, we are working on it, but there are some technical issues to solve first before I can tell what we can do, or cannot do.

Thanks for all this information Can't wait for the release !