Thread: RTR VII Feature highlight: Roman Leadership

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: RTR VII Feature highlight: Roman Leadership

Place both characters in one army
    Open the army scroll
    Open the characters croll of the fm that has the office
    Drag and drop the office icon onto the portrait of the other character
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Baca View Post
    Can someone explain in plain english how to transfer offices ?
    If you have a character with an office (Praetor for example) and you want to give it to another, it is fairly simple. Step by step:

*Make sure the character receiving the new office does not already have an office, unless you want them to be a 'courier'. Already having an office causes all offices not to function if a new one is added to the character, but the ancillary card(s) will remain.

1) Move both characters into the same stack (or settlement).
    2) In the character screen of the FM who currently has the office/ancillary, left click and hold your mouse pointer over the ancillary. It's picture should now move about with the mouse pointer.
    3) Drag the mouse pointer (and ancillary) down to the character tag at the bottom center of the screen who you wish to have the office and release.
    4) End your turn, the character should have the office activated beginning the following turn (assuming he is both eligible and doesn't already have an office ancillary).

This process works for any sort of ancillary. The main difference is that offices cause all other offices to cease providing their benefits if there is more than one on a character. Transferring offices does not need to happen in Rome, you can do it anywhere. A character only needs to be in Rome to receive an office ancillary that doesn't already exist.

Edit: Muizer beat me to it. So what he said.
    Last edited by Deathkorpsman; August 12, 2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Beat to the punch!

Hannibal Baca's Avatar Decanus
    Serbia in Multicipi of Bajina Basta in small vilage called Gvozdac

Tnx guys hope i will be sucesefull whit ROMA.

Developer also i am part of Rise of Nations and Black Knights.
    Tiger of Islam Group

I am reading Leadership: Theory and Practice from Sage Publications book then i will become a pro

Another question,consuls they are only 2 right ?
    How many preators they are .
    What FM can lead an offensive legion ?
    Off topic: When and how do i get italian hastari ?

Tiger of Islam Group

Patrician Artifex

The number of offices as function of the number of regions owned (bold).
    Rg Co|Pr |Ae|Qu|Tr|Sum
    00 02|01|02|02|00|07
    10 02|01|02|02|04|11
    20 02|02|02|04|08|18
    30 02|03|02|06|10|23
    40 02|04|02|08|12|28
    50 03|04|02|10|14|33
    60 03|05|02|10|16|36
    70 04|05|02|10|18|39
    80 04|06|02|10|20|42
    90 05|06|02|10|22|45

I've also added this to the OP for future reference.

Only consuls never lose their benefits. Praetors lose them at turn end when you leave them on foreign soil. So, consuls are best used for offensive field armies and praetors for defensive field armies. Tribunes should be used as garrison commanders in threatened areas. Quaestors and Aediles are more management oriented officials.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Thanks Muizer, that is extremely good info!

It whoud be good if RTR had Legates who where senators elected by senate to lead certan legion.
    But it is ok as it is,hope if i bribe a charachter he will be able to lead offensive army.
    +Rep for ya

Tiger of Islam Group

Quote Originally Posted by Moktanic View Post
    I am reading Leadership: Theory and Practice from Sage Publications book then i will become a pro
    But can't find for free is there anyone who has that book, i find here http://www.505accountingbooks.com/le...-and-practice/ for cheap but it's still expencieve for me help?

Try E-book ?

Tiger of Islam Group

Something I have been doing may help you. Build up the educational system in Rome. Whenever you have a new FM come of age, get him over to Rome, so he can gain good traits and maybe an ancillary or two. Keep a TR ancillary on an underage FM to transfer immediately to other FMs as they come of age. Leave the TR on those FMs for at least one turn. You can then send that FM (leaving behind in Rome the TR ancillary) to other regions where you have a FM who is ready for a Q, and switch governorship. As your family becomes large, you may have a glut of young FMs in Rome, but not to worry, use them to hold onto any ancillaries that you cannot use yet, such as extra Con or Prae.

And as suggested by management, keep a retired consul in Rome to catch new offices as you conquer more regions.

I keep a note pad next to me to keep track of my FMs stats. I try to develop the FMs to take over offices all over my far flung holdings. For example, right now I have among my FMs milling about Rome Hereius the Thinker, age 30, who has a Command of 1 and Management of 10. He is about ready to be a Questor and manage a region. I now have to find a region whose current Governor is ready for higher office or retirement.
    Last edited by Zom; August 14, 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Hi guys, just a quick question.

What's the save-compatibility of this function? I.e. when you toggle between this on or off in the launcher, does your old campain A) run the old settings from when it was started B) run the new settings or C) roll over and die? (i.e. bugs, crashes etc)

Thanks a lot!

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

Any changes to this system are non-savegame compatible. If I'm right the option to turn it off has been removed in the latest patch.

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

Allright, thanks for the info.

The button to turn it on/off still appears in my launcher, but I'm not sure yet whether it had any effect or if it's just a redundant button.

Btw, I totally respect the work that implementing this must have cost very impressive. Therefore I also feel a bit bad about asking here how to turn it off lol.

(It's mainly because I didn't understand the system until now, and my empire is already 50+ provinces without any meaningful FM left. Only last night I found out why I lost so many battles with my superior army - the wording on the traits of new FMs made me think that you had to have them fight in the military for 5 years, and then they'd start collecting traits by themselves. So I sent all my FMs to the military/war to serve as captains for 5 years lol. Wrong choice it seems.

So just to save this campaign, I figured I didn't want to bother and spend 40 turns to try and fix this all in retrospect, so if it was possible to just play this campaign with the switch off, I'd have tried)
    Last edited by Woestelingh; November 13, 2012 at 09:11 AM.

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

I understand your problem. When you don't want to go through the pain of fixing it, I'd just start a new campaign

Hehe. I think I'll go for the long fix anyway, as that would still be somewhat less work than actually fighting every single battle I've fought so far, over again It'll maybe take more turns, but the turns will be a lot shorter.

It sucks (a bit), but flavo(u)rwise I can get it to make sense for myself so I'll survive - that the bad governing of your empire starts taking its toll so you need to stop expanding and deal with internal/political problems for a few years. Starting new campaigns is even more dreadful.

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

True. Most of the time I too prefer to solve things instead of going through the same first turns over and over again. Usually it's the mid-campaign when things get interesting

The leadership system does lead to huge micro managing, i really hoped the positions move automatically at times. How do I turn it off on the steam version? The main problem is I can only use one army under the consul and not several legions like in RL. Thanks!

Patrician Artifex

Disabling the roman leadership system (UNTESTED, AT YOUR OWN RISK).
    If you have started a campaign and find the system not to your liking, there is a way to make it "die out".
    Open the file descr_character_traits.txt and search for the phrase Roman Leadership Trigger Section. Select and delete all subsequent triggers until you arrive at the phrase Spy Trigger Section. Without triggers, new characters won't receive the traits involved in the system. To get rid of fro, the start, you also have to remove all references to the system in descr_strat.txt.

I'm sorry I can't provide you with the modified files right now as my current build differs from the official release.
    Last edited by Muizer; November 20, 2012 at 05:43 AM.

the problem with the "retired consul in rome" strategy, is that people who are old enough to become consuls barely have time to become consuls, conquer a region, stay long enough to build enough of the government buildings to make the region stable, and then you should really pass it on to a praetor, because he's ready to croak, and if he croaks, you have to send your praetor all the way back to rome to get a consulship. I've managed it once in my current campaign, because I had an FM who was a cripple, so I left him in Rome, cause he moved so slowly... he was wonderful to have in rome to get consulships and praetorships to send away to the front.

IMHO, FM's should be allowed to be consuls earlier, having a consul die of old age mid-campaign is unrealistic.
    RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
    :sparta:
    Cliens Patroni Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs