Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: RTR VII Feature highlight: Roman Leadership

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Default Re: RTR VII Feature highlight: Roman Leadership

For those who don't know or forgot, you transfer an ancillary from one FM to another by
    - putting both in the same army or settlement,
    - selecting the army panel
    - opening the character scroll of the FM currently holding the ancillary
    - dragging the ancillary icon to the army panel and dropping it on the portrait of the receiving FM
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

ok, so i currently have a guy who is eligible for tribulus militum. I havae gaven him an appointment for praetor, but nothing happens? When do i have to do so that i can actually use him in combat??

also, is there a way to turn off leadership mode?

...is it possible to make a consul lose his position due to a military disaster/repeated defeats? As far as I know, those circumstances were what often led them to be ousted from the position due to lowered popularity.... not sure if that's implementable at all though. (I think traits are affected by such things easily, but I guess ancillaries can't be dropped?)

...I suppose one could do this by voluntarily transferring the ancillary over, but I prefer to have a 'forced' aspect to it, otherwise I'll cut the corners... not always good at making myself roleplay....

DukeCanada's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Artorath View Post
    ...is it possible to make a consul lose his position due to a military disaster/repeated defeats? As far as I know, those circumstances were what often led them to be ousted from the position due to lowered popularity.... not sure if that's implementable at all though. (I think traits are affected by such things easily, but I guess ancillaries can't be dropped?)

...I suppose one could do this by voluntarily transferring the ancillary over, but I prefer to have a 'forced' aspect to it, otherwise I'll cut the corners... not always good at making myself roleplay....
    Not at the moment. Please remember that the RLS is a very new concept, even to the RTR team. Muizer, the brilliant mind behind the RLS system is hard at work fleshing out the system. I think that at the moment we want to make sure there are always 2 of each position. We're trying to see what works and what doesnt work. Its very possible that in the future we may have a "Lost Consulship" aspect to the RLS, but for now we really just want to perfect the fundamentals of the system .
    Rome Total Realism Public Relations Representative

"We saved so much money on toilet paper" - Remlap, after giving advice on proper wiping technique.

Need Help:

He needs to be eligible for praetor. Tribunus Militum is the lowest rank, you need to wait until he's much older before he'll be allowed to lead armies. (When such things were codified later in the republic I believe the legal minimum age for Praetor was 40, could be older depending on when he got his other offices. It's the same in RTR.

The logic is that Rome was a republic and wanted sensible, experienced men leading her armies, not rookies with a thirst for glory. (Mind you, the "sensible" older man quite often had just that and got into trouble as a result. Crassus, anyone? But still, that was the theory.)

The problem is that the Total War games are designed to simulate a hereditary monarchy/ruling class, not a republic with elected officials. Rome never had to "wait" for people to reach a certain age, it just selected from a large pool of those who already were. And on those rare occasions that they needed a particular genius in a time of crisis to get a command he was technically ineligible for, they just bent the rules. (Scipio Africanus, Pompeius Magnus. The second Punic war had plenty lesser infringements.) It's hard to simulate this in the engine, which is why this kind of system creates a bit more hassle for the player.

Updated the OP with the files you need to enable the option to switch the leadership system off in the launcher. Will be included in a patch. I've not actually tested these files yet, so use at your own risk
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

This feature made roman gameplay much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCanada View Post
    Not at the moment. Please remember that the RLS is a very new concept, even to the RTR team. Muizer, the brilliant mind behind the RLS system is hard at work fleshing out the system. I think that at the moment we want to make sure there are always 2 of each position. We're trying to see what works and what doesnt work. Its very possible that in the future we may have a "Lost Consulship" aspect to the RLS, but for now we really just want to perfect the fundamentals of the system .
    Ah ok, good to know. The system is already impressive as is, if you're still perfecting it I'm sure I'll be more than impressed with the result

holy crap batman, that is gonna be hard, should be fun
    -never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right-

-Azimov

Im using my leader,previously a Consul, to invade other lands and every turn i stay oustide my lands he loose all is commanding skills.Hes got like 57 years old....
    And from 15 family members,only 2 are worth using (and only to governing towns,because to command armys they are more dangerous than the enemys) the rest of the members im trying to killed them in battles.
    Reasons ,all of them ,for example, a town that gives me 3000 money if i use him to govern the town drops to 300 ,im not gonna wait for him to get some siklls specially wend i have to wait so long.

Sooner or later you won't have any decent leaders left though.

that was how it was in reality until marius showed up

-Azimov

Quote Originally Posted by cogre View Post
    that was how it was in reality until marius showed up
    I dont believe that to be a decent field commander or a decent governor i have to wait ,after the 16 years old, more years for them to achieve a decent level.
    If that was the case ,Rome wouldnt achieve half they acheived.

Im just pointing to the fact that its beeing impossible to have decent family members and ive got like 15 and only a couple are decent.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

What about post Marian armies ? Must it be lead by Consuls also ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

Jup. The command structure didn't really change until the Principate (afaik)

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

Having crappy commanders due to the political/military system was actually a common problem during certain periods under the republic. When push came to shove (e.g. and the elected consuls screwed up a war ), the Romans would often scrap the whole thing and appoint a dictator and master of horse to prevent disaster.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Maurits View Post
    Jup. The command structure didn't really change until the Principate (afaik)
    The consuls are the main general of the whole army but can't a consul have multiple legions ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by oOIYvYIOo View Post
    I dont believe that to be a decent field commander or a decent governor i have to wait ,after the 16 years old, more years for them to achieve a decent level.
    If that was the case ,Rome wouldnt achieve half they acheived.
    I'm afraid that is simply not true. The leadership system reflects the "normal" build up of a political and military career of the Roman upper-class in the Republic. There certainly were notable exceptions, but it would be silly to base the leadership system on exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by oOIYvYIOo View Post
    Im just pointing to the fact that its beeing impossible to have decent family members and ive got like 15 and only a couple are decent.
    You have to make them decent. You have to move your Family members up through the ranks constantly. If you don't put anything in at the bottom, nothing will come out at the top.

If none of my fm's have the ancillary tribulus militum, how am i supposed to make a member that is eligible for tm actually upgraded?

if my theory is correct, it takes 5 years (20 turns) to get them ready for tribulus militum, then they are off on the Cursus Honorum

-Azimov