Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Editing worldterrain files (IWTE)

Default Re: Editing worldterrain files (IWTE)

Quote Originally Posted by BaldovinoIII View Post
    I did everything ... replaced the original file with the terrain created with IWTE renamed to the original file name.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/98ucxmet2gfc5h4/Immagine1.jpg
    The change is a small relief ... it's just to test ....
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnr93rweanit5mf/Immagine2.jpg
    and these are the three files, in order: base, merge and battlemerge.
    I have the operating system windows 8, it can be that it cause problems?
    (images won't post from dropbox like that... but have viewed the links and they look fine)
    I have the operating system windows 8, it can be that it cause problems?
    maybe, I think
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Store-Problems
    still applies to windows 8 - I don't actually know much about that as easiest way to avoid it is don't install M2TW to C:/program_files
    if your M2TW is there it might be an issue

have you done other modding stuff before this? you need io-file first to get M2TW to read from files instead of packs

I've already made ​​changes TGA script ... I had problems with VirtualStore, but I've solved removing the folder with the modified files in VirtualStore that remain in program_files
    but then reappears every change I make in the VirtualStore folder.
    I believe that in this way the problem will be resolved ... I try with io_file ... I reinstalled the original version of M2TW ... certainly not present in the CFG.
    Thank you so much Makanyane, add io_file soon as I can and let you know.

Thanks makanyane ... I solved it, it was just the io_file.
    If I find some other problem I may ask? I give you trouble?

That's great

Please do ask if you have any other problems. It's no trouble.

I make small changes at a time ... change the terrain is simple, being careful not to change the ground beneath the structures. But as soon as you want to do something more it becomes very very difficult.
    As a first step I added some small relief on the ground, right here ok,
    Then I tried to enlarge the lake in north_european / castle / large_castle changing .terrain then the first world, changing the plan for the water and the worldpathfinding but keeps crashing right after load the map in the custom battle. What can be the problem?

I make small changes at a time ... change the terrain is simple, being careful not to change the ground beneath the structures. But as soon as you want to do something more it becomes very very difficult.
    As a first step I added some small relief on the ground, right here ok,
    Then I tried to enlarge the lake in north_european / castle / large_castle changing .terrain then the first world, changing the plan for the water and the worldpathfinding but keeps crashing right after load the map in the custom battle. What can be the problem?
    Thank you

sorry for the double post

erm, if you used IWTE to re-size the terrain file to larger over all, then you need to re-size the vegetation file to the same size (or that will cause crash)

otherwise maybe some problem with what you did for the water - the reflective plane model should just be a flat plane... in one group - and the ms3d you put in should use the same name for that group as it started with so it recognizes it as an existing object, otherwise it might have cancelled out some of the reflective plane properties and left a mess (i.e. water texture on something that isn't a reflective plane structure anymore)

if it's not either of those two points please send me the files to have a look

I checked file MS3D, attributes, and texture, and to my untrained eye it seems to be ok.
    I usually like to get there from only the solution, but I have no more solutions this time. I leave the files to the experts
    how do you get them? thank you again makanyane

OK, I need the .world .worldcollision .animinstances .worldterrain .worldvegetation .worldpathfinding - stick them all in a folder an compress/zip it - post to a file sharing site and either give me the link in this thread or by private message

Solved... Thanks...

nadalio's Avatar Civis
    Where the nameless things gnawing the earth

Hi,
    I'm traing to create a new terrain for Cairn Andros of third age mod. Is possible to use the original greyscale of the TerrainBase with a new image?
    In the IWTE there are some TGA replace options but i don't know how to find the original ones.
    Are there other methods with Gimp for example?

Quote Originally Posted by nadalio View Post
    Hi,
    I'm traing to create a new terrain for Cairn Andros of third age mod. Is possible to use the original greyscale of the TerrainBase with a new image?
    In the IWTE there are some TGA replace options but i don't know how to find the original ones.
    Are there other methods with Gimp for example?
    Do you have the original .worldterrain file for Cairn Andros? If so use the 'Terrain1' tab, 'Create Terrain TGA's' to make new images to start from. Use the default settings and see what the base TGA comes out like. You'll need to adjust the settings if it comes out with red/blue areas meaning they are too low/high for the scale - although if you don't need to adjust those areas you can just use it like that and it won't overwrite the values in those areas.

nadalio's Avatar Civis

Do you have the original .worldterrain file for Cairn Andros?
    Yes but i need only the grey scale of it because i already have a new TGA image for the terrain.

You'll need to adjust the settings if it comes out with red/blue areas meaning they are too low/high for the scale - although if you don't need to adjust those areas you can just use it like that and it won't overwrite the values in those areas.
    I did a lot of tests and finaly a replace TERRAIN BASE with these values:

GREY SCALE CONTROL POINT: 150 (this is the maximum value of the height in the terrain right?)

HEIGHT ASSIGNED TO GSP : 0.0 (This i don't understand what it does, but i kept it 0 and everithing were fine)

GREY SCALE INCREMENTS PER HEIGHT: 1.0 (every unit of grey color increase of 1 the height? So if the number increase the value the terrain will be more pointed? there is a paragon with this unit and the Height inside the game?)

Thank you very much for your patience!!

nadalio's Avatar Civis

Update:
    I manage to use my new terrain instead cair andros original one. Because Cair Andros is an island, with the new terrain, most of the settlement is above the water level. Because of this i wanted to find the exact grey scale.
    How can i set the right height of the terrain without change the strap map height?

That's probably the point where you needed to start from a base tga produced from the old .worldterrain file...

NOTE: the heights in .worldterrain and for the buildings in the .world (inc when written out as ms3d structures) are relative to a datum of 0.00, so if you have a .worldterrain height point of 12m, and your base of wall model starts at 12m, then they'll match up. BUT depending on where the settlement is used on the strat map, where it applies that 0.00 datum could be part way up a mountain, on a flat plain, or at sea level (you won't end up with terrain below sea level unless you're using minus heights, and the strat map height is also relatively close to sea level.)

If your problem is now just that the whole .worldterrain is too high or too low relative to the structures (and the structures are all at one level), then you can find the height of the bottom of the structures by writing one to ms3d, or the height at a point under them by loading the .worldterrain via the 'file type' painter process in IWTE, zooming in when in edit mode and noting the height of a relevant point. (also load the .world files for the settlement and switch on 'views' 'view world -2d' to see where the structures are) - do the same for your new .worldterrain, note the difference in height --- go to 'Specials' tab 'World terrain vec/rotation' and apply a 'Change to height' to your new .worldterrain.

If your problem is more general, e.g. you're missing both the heights to match the structures and the correct height to end up with bits underwater, then you really need to start from a tga produced from the old .worldterrain, use the colour picker tool to match the greyscale/heights where they need to match, blend in your alterations relative to those greyscale colours (lighter if you want higher etc.) - you can use whatever settings on the create/replace tga's you want, so long as you use the same ones in and out.
    reply here; http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13657750
    and wilddogs post below explain more about the increments/settings - it does tend to involve a bit of trial and error till you find settings that work, and also heights that work if you're trying to do anything involving 'natural' water

NOTE 2: if the 'water' is a reflective plane, then that is actually a structure in the .world and you just need to match heights around it as for walls etc

Domaje's Avatar Civis

Hello,

I am working on a custom settlement map and was wondering what is the maximum size of a tga the tool can create a worldterrain with ? I have rezized a worldterrain to 501x501 but when I try to replace the tga with a 501x501 tga, it crashes.

Thanks in advance!

I didn't think there was meant to be a limit on that - is there a message in the black command window when it crashes?

(If that doesn't stay open I might need to get you to run IWTE from a .bat file)

Domaje's Avatar Civis

Just before the crash it says this :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TGA error.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	364145

I have tried other sizes, cropping the original tga each time to match the worldterrain size I set and so far I have been able to successfully make a worldterrain with a 431x431 tga. With a 451x451 it bugged : no crash but the worldterrain used an old 181x181 tga I used and filled the rest of the image with random/procedural heights.

In the message it seems to be objecting to the .tga type.
    Could you send me the resized terrain and your 501x501 tga please?

on the one with random looking heights, make sure you had things as pure greyscale, it will ignore anything that isn't, so it might be you ended up with a colour tint on some of the pixels.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast