Thread: BETTER ENVIRONMENTS FOR TROY

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Icon4 BETTER ENVIRONMENTS FOR TROY

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=72NIM8Z8

Once the DL of the RS2 enviroments is complete remove the fall of rome folder and copy all the remaining data and the bi folder into rtw gold.

Hi all; if your looking for RS2 environments download links search google. If it's for a specific mod scroll down through this thread. I explained how to change it from being a mod specific download to being specific to your mod and working with it. Also, you can use the replace tool in notepad, makes things a whole lot faster. (its found in the edit menu).
    Last edited by z3n; April 26, 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: BETTER ENVIRONMENTS FOR TROY

I have a question. Isn't it supposed to be the TTW folder (being modfoldered) where we should copy the files and isn't it going to mess up the game since the world folder, cultures, etc. are totally different?

I remember when I made this post...

You are supposed to paste it directly into your main RTW data folder if you don't know how to add it into the mod yourself. It works for TTW in this way as TTW doesn't have any of its own enviroments.

I know that EOD2 has a problem with RS2 enviroments if you paste it directly into your main RTW folder.

I am working on some things for CATW so maybe you should ask zhuge for help implementing the enviroments directly into TTW if you don't know how to do it yourself.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Thanks for the quick reply. I am really new to all the modding stuff and some things are still now quite clear to me. I remembered trying to implement the environments for warhammer and the results were disastrous. Anyways, adding this to the main folder will change the vanilla and all the mods that dont have their own environments as well, right? And again isn't it better not to overwrite the world folder?

Any mods that don't have their own enviroments will be affected by the change. I would overwrite the world folder. It doesn't affect anything other than the strat map.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

Hi now that megaupload is down, where can I find a mirror for download the patch ?

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20600...entPatch_II_7z

This was made for another mod so you have to know what your doing before you try patching TTW with this.

You will have to edit around 4 or 5 text files and delete a couple of files/folders.

It is a mirror though.

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Resef View Post
    You will have to edit around 4 or 5 text files and delete a couple of files/folders.
    I'm not very skilled ... which files I have to edit? (and how? )

Since you seem unsure about your abilities, use my XGM RSII environments folder. http://www.gamefront.com/files/21227...Environment.7z

I removed all the folders that would interfere with TTW and placed the ones necessary for the RSII environments to run inside of my XGM RSII environments folder.

Files
    descr_aerial_map_ground_types.txt
    descr_climates.txt
    descr_grass.txt
    descr_water.txt
    descr_water_interaction_effects.txt
    descr_water_types.txt

How To
    Open up descr_aerial_map_ground_types.txt press control+f and then type in xgm. Replace xgm with the name of your mod's main folder. Repeat this process with each file until complete. Scroll back to the top and then type control+f and rio. Repeat the same process.

For the rest of the text files replace xgm.

Rather simple isn't it?

BTW if you encounter the pink/purple terrain error go into the main RTW data folder retrieve descr_aerial_map_ground_types.txt and then paste it into TTW. On occasion RSII enviroments get grumpy.
    Last edited by z3n; January 25, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

It doesn't work properly... I replaced the lines in that way (for example this is the first line in descr_aerial_map_ground_types.txt ):

Before: cultivated_low ../../../../xgm/data/terrain/aerial_map/ground_types/RSdefault_grass.tga

I replaced "xgm" with the mod main folder's path "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\TTW"

After: cultivated_low ../../../../C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\TTW/data/terrain/aerial_map/ground_types/RSdefault_grass.tga

I also made the same process for "rio":

Before: ../../../../rio/data/terrain/aerial_map/ground_types/RSdefault_winter_grass.tga

After: ../../../../C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\TTW/data/terrain/aerial_map/ground_types/RSdefault_grass.tga

I made the same for the other files (but of course only for which concern "xgm").

Now if I start a new game (or I load a previous one) game crashes and a window says: filename doesn't exist: data/terrain/aerial_map/tree_models/../../../../C

On the other side, if i start a custom battle, the game starts and the environment seems to be improved but if I zoom on the units the grass is undetailed. Where is the mistake?

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

I have forgotten to say that I use this patch http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=308904 maybe is this the problem?

If you did everything correctly it should work fine. You did edit all of the files right?

BTW "data/terrain/aerial_map/tree_models/../../../../C" error happens because you have made a mistake.

If you really just want to give up on it paste the attached file into your TTW data folder and be done with it. The only reason the grass would look undetailed is if you didn't edit the corresponding txt file.

And the other mod would only conflict if it made changes to the environment or strat map.

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

And the other mod would only conflict if it made changes to the environment or strat map.
    I have just retried and I have the same problem. I think that the strat map is the problem infact in TTW add on 2.0 there are new cities and regions

I have to choose between this two patch isn't it?

I think you didn't do something quite right. Delete map.rwm in ttw/data/world/maps/base and also place this climates tga there to. Also can you upload these descr_aerial_map_ground_types.txt, descr_climates.txt, descr_grass.txt so I can have a quick look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanax View Post
    I have just retried and I have the same problem. I think that the strat map is the problem infact in TTW add on 2.0 there are new cities and regions

I have to choose between this two patch isn't it?

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

Delete map.rwm in ttw/data/world/maps/base and also place this climates tga there to.
    It' s the same

Attached here all the files modified.

Thank you very much for helping me

You made a simple but damaging error which made sense to you but not the RTW.exe. The RTW.exe knows it needs to look in C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\. This confused it which made it give you the "data/terrain/aerial_map/tree_models/../../../../C" error.

I fixed two but I don't have time for the rest.

Change this
    Code:
    	cultivated_low		../../../../C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\TTW/data/terrain/aerial_map/ground_types/RSdefault_grass.tga

To this
    Code:
    	cultivated_low		../../../../TTW/data/terrain/aerial_map/ground_types/RSdefault_grass.tga	

Or if you don't want to change it and you'd rather just revert to rtws original textures paste in the file I attached in my last post. BTW no problem, hopefully one day you too will help someone out on here.
    Last edited by z3n; January 29, 2012 at 09:48 AM.

Wanax's Avatar Laetus

Thank you very much, now finally works

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

please, can someone reupload this?