Thread: Unit caps

Default Unit caps

In my campaign it's gotten to the point where I can't recruit any more units. I've maxed out everything, even ashigaru! Is this a bug or am I supposed to play my campaign with only three and a half stacks?

Default Re: Unit caps

No, all late ashigaru are unlimited. But you have to research them.

So when you professionalize your ashigaru you can recruit more? Intuitively one would think that ashigaru would be more plentiful when they were just peasants given spears and basic armor.

But it wasn't like that historically. Massed forces of ashigaru started to appear only later in the civil war. In the beginning armies were much smaller and mainly composed of samurai.

Does the AI suffer from the same recruitment caps as the player?

The AI has the same restrictions.

After doing a whole campaign, I feel that the unit caps are the only thing really holding me back from totally enjoying this wonderful mod. It just feels weird that the unit caps don't increase with the size of my clan. Toward the end of my campaign, I was raking in huge amounts of cash, but all I could really do with it was spam lots of boring ashigaru armies.

Other mods are introducing supply/manpower systems that raise unit caps when provinces are captured. While I think that this is a good idea, I have always wondered what's wrong with just making professional units VERY expensive to buy and maintain. It seems reasonable to expect that a sufficiently populated and rich clan should be able to field larger numbers of professional units than smaller, poorer clans.

Other than the unit caps, I really like this mod. I love the different types of spears wielded by the ashigaru. I love how you got rid of the ridiculous katana samurai, I love how all ships can shoot flaming arrows, I love the ETW style resource buildings, and I love the slower pace of the campaign.