Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions For Future Releases

Default Re: Suggestions For Future Releases

i gave you guys advice add a map with normandy and flanders in it as well as some towns for france

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

I'm sure they heard you the first two times.

Sounds like they've got a plan for the map already. Looking forward to it.

so am i just can't wait

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post
    We are currently discussing the map. A few questions we have asked ourselves...

1. should we expand and in what directions?
    2. should we just make the current map larger? This would make the space between settlements farther apart.
    3. should we move on to another Kingdoms expansion and try to duplicate the work AJStoner has already done with the Britannia Campaign?

We pretty much answered this question, but haven't exactly nailed it down.

That is why I joined the team. In future releases, more original or borrowed 2d work will be included. Denmark is using SS skins in this version and we hope to either reskin the other factions or borrow skins from released mods. I agree that more settlement specific (Duke or Lord) retinues should be high on the list to be added. I have done some work for a mod (Faction Crown Mod) that would also be a sweet addition.

This is another thing that I plan on doing. I have done these for Stainless Steel but couldn't use them with the vanilla skins in this mod. I would really like to either retexture the vanilla units or borrow units before I bother with creating new unit info cards.

y
    Sounds very good, sir I'm familiar with your work other places, and I cant wait to see how this will look at a later stage
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

PLEASE eliminate redundant units! Having Spear Militia and Levy Spearmen with different names but identical appearance and stats is something that bugs the hell out of me and is something that very few mods actually address.

AJStoner's Avatar Lord of Entropy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Golog View Post
    PLEASE eliminate redundant units! Having Spear Militia and Levy Spearmen with different names but identical appearance and stats is something that bugs the hell out of me and is something that very few mods actually address.
    On my short list.

*MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF HADER* *UNDER THE CRUEL & MERCILESS PATRONAGE OF y2day*

How about reducing the number of resources on the map, but increasing their value exponentially?
    Make the merchant wars into something worth engaging in, and add a whole new level of economic competition?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
    How about reducing the number of resources on the map, but increasing their value exponentially?
    Make the merchant wars into something worth engaging in, and add a whole new level of economic competition?
    I agree with this, I very rarely actually train any merchants because in the time it takes for them to become profitable, they'll probably have been taken over by one of the AI merchants.

Excellent idea about the resources, will do some tweaking for 1.7; I like the idea of merchants but as they stand they are somewhat not worth the effort.

This mod is one of the few (if not the only) mods that make merchants useful due to the concentration of resources in France, but the problem with that is that usurping each other's merchants is too easy or too hard depending on your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishHitman View Post
    This mod is one of the few (if not the only) mods that make merchants useful due to the concentration of resources in France, but the problem with that is that usurping each other's merchants is too easy or too hard depending on your luck.
    I like these merchants as I don't need to spend any money training them and I can start making a profit straight away, its training my own merchants that I never do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Leonidas View Post
    I like these merchants as I don't need to spend any money training them and I can start making a profit straight away, its training my own merchants that I never do.
    I train up loads and send them by boat to France

One of the issues with any agents is turn resolution time. More agents mean taking each transaction into account, and this can slow things down. Some mods remove them entirely and boost trade income instead. It's sort of a mini-game like the assassin, spy, or priest (dealing with heretics) missions.

Having lots of merchants is of course historical though and some people like them. Without merchants you have no encounter of the Mongols on the Silk Road. It is also a form of economic warfare when actual open warfare isn't prudent.

One thing that might happen is aging. Age is the great equalizer. Merchants might be financial wizards, but time and disease did them in. Age might reduce their financial rating and therefore even very high merchants would decline as they got older.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 15, 2011 at 08:50 PM.

I agree with this. In DotS, characters will recieve negative features as they age.

The Sweeper's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    One of the issues with any agents is turn resolution time. More agents mean taking each transaction into account, and this can slow things down. Some mods remove them entirely and boost trade income instead. It's sort of a mini-game like the assassin, spy, or priest (dealing with heretics) missions.

Having lots of merchants is of course historical though and some people like them. Without merchants you have no encounter of the Mongols on the Silk Road. It is also a form of economic warfare when actual open warfare isn't prudent.

One thing that might happen is aging. Age is the great equalizer. Merchants might be financial wizards, but time and disease did them in. Age might reduce their financial rating and therefore even very high merchants would decline as they got older.
    Whilst I've always understood how the ageing process could decrease certain character attributes, it strikes me that in some cases a character's abilities, especially ones relating to wisdom and experience, would actually increase with age, rather than decrease.

Like for instance an experienced, old, general may lose movement points with age, but also might gain command points from their extended experiences on the battlefield.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sweeper View Post
    Whilst I've always understood how the aging process could decrease certain character attributes, it strikes me that in some cases a character's abilities, especially ones relating to wisdom and experience, would actually increase with age, rather than decrease.

Like for instance an experienced, old, general may lose movement points with age, but also might gain command points from their extended experiences on the battlefield.
    Yes. Good. An interesting observation. I think that's valid. The difficulty is in modding it in so it makes sense. Obviously an older general might through time have gained insight, though as a person getting older, it's no guarantee of wisdom. Just a lot more opportunity for making mistakes and having some insight into that phenomena. But of course, as someone getting older, I may huff and puff when I run, or lift a heavy box, hence an aging knight may have had more difficulty holding their lance for a charge. It was after all physically strenuous. Quite demanding if you have watched any documentaries where modern folks try to train like a knight. They are often surprised that they don't have the stamina.

Some folks lose motivation as they age. They stand on their past accomplishments, and stop trying to drive themselves into new ones. They slow down. Some don't and keep excelling, but shift their focus into more administrative ones.

So some merchants may lose their Finance rating for that reason related to aging, but perhaps not all. Merchants can be a little too powerful in the vanilla game. Based on basic settings, and lots of computer merchants attacking (there are statistical percentages that benefit attacks) they can control all trade pretty easily by the mid-game. They aren't risky either as usually the setting is pretty high ~75% or so of measuring whether they will chance it. But it wears you down.

So modding is about finding a balance for the players, and also for finding ways of continuing the challenge so that the game is interesting. Say you're riding roller coasters often, well the challenge and thrill fades, so that's why amusement parks find unique ways to boost them to be more exciting.

I think that the diplomacy could do with being altered a bit. At the moment it is really easy to get cities in exchange for a ceasefire and trade rights which seems a bit like cheating. I know that I could just not do it but it's too tempting to just declare war and then get peace and a new settlement instantly without actually having to do anything.

EDIT: I feel a bit stupid that it's taken me this long to notice, but shouldn't Anglesey be an island? At the moment it's just a bit of land stuck on the top of Wales.
    Last edited by Kaiser Leonidas; October 25, 2011 at 09:11 AM.

What annoys me most about merchants and agents in general is how ing long it takes them to go through their animations. It's ing infuriating having to watch the painfully slow animations a dozen times each turn as the A.I. bombards you with merchant attacks, diplomats and princesses who almost never actually want to negotiate anything (WTF?), etc. etc.

It's more irritating than almost every other nitpick I have combined. And again, I've yet to see a mod that addresses it.

In the case of diplomats and princesses, I suspect they are attempting bribes when you get those non-interactive visits. I find the delay a little obnoxious myself. I'm not sure how you might go about expediting the process but I will ask around about that.

BTW: Is that avatar from a Lost in Space episode by any chance?
    Last edited by AJStoner; October 26, 2011 at 02:46 AM.

My avatar is Count Zarth Arn, from StarCrash, a film from 1978, and was a rip-off of Star Wars.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast