Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Merula and Caldius- 485AUC

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Marcus Atrius Merula - 485AUC

What of this rebellion you spoke of Consul? What troop types do they possess? Are they attacking cities in this area, or are just content to sit around?

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Don't think they attack cities. They raid villages, slowly weakening us and slowly gaining power back on the region. If we want to deal with this, we must deal with this now and place a permanent force on the northern borders to guard them. Otherwise the lands will never be safe from raiding.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

There are forces on the northern border Corvenus. One whole legion in fact, and more besides. It appears the mere military presence is not enough to disuade these men.

High Flying Dwarf's Avatar Libertus

"Would the legion be sufficient to crush the rebellion with force? If so, would this endanger our position with the people of Ariminum?"
    I JUST WANTED TO GO INTO SPACE!
    You Are The Senate

Marcus Sergius Lucanus, 34, Patrician

We should send the Legion into Bononia and seize their weapons, they cannot Raid unarmed.

Merula's Avatar Campidoctor

Ah, you misunderstand me Caldius, these rebels are not Gauls, they are men of Umbria! To you Scaeva, their 'army' is quite small in comparison to our legion, most of their men are light infantry, never having fought in a battle before. But Scipio does tell me that Servius also has a unit of Heavy cavalry and some ex Socii soldiers under his command. My aim in fighting them would be to take out these elements of his force first, then crush the light infantry on the shields of our legionaries. Corvenus is right, they are mainly content with raiding the countryside at the moment, just brigands, but their size is large enough to cause trouble for our merchants...

The military presence is not enough to dissuade them, no. This is why the Senate must pass legislation to incorporate them into Roma at once! Not as citizens, but so they know that they can be happy sharing the glory of our nation!

Severus did have quite a knack for showing up rather fashionable late, one could say... However Severus had other plans prior to his engagement, he was actually speaking to a few hired aids one could call them. However dealing with such filth had it's draw backs and Severus needed to be highly discreet with his dealings with such types of people. Thus he ended up being rather late however he was not going to shirk on his job as a senator. This was after all his very first senate meeting and he needed to make quite the impression. Standing outside the door for a moment or two he needed to eavesdrop on the conversation so that he could have quiet the intro. "Is it just me or has the Roman senate gone soft?... I say we send over a special legionnaire force to annihilate all those who dare oppose Rome or else we will merely be a walking mat to any filthy barbarian... For those who do not know me I am a former Legionnaire myself Senator Severus Octavius Triarius."

Caius stood up and spoke, his thundering voice echoing in the curia. 'Senators, rebellion within our borders is something that should make us deeply ashamed. Instead we are merely discussing it here, like it is some every day activity. I say we extract a few maniples from the First Legion, march down to those Umbrian peasants and wipe the floor with them. Slaughter them and show Umbria who's in charge.'

He looked at the man who had come in late. He hated people who where late. A small grunt came out of him as he observed Triarius. That hair, was he a Gaul or something? He gestured at Triarius and continued his speech. 'As our dear fellow senator Triarius has already noted, a special force to annihilate those rebels once and for all. Our observers have noted that the Umbrian troops are light. They are weak. Take a few hastati and some principes with a small detachment of cavalry and you can easily defeat them. In the meantime our borders in the north will also be safe from stinking Gauls.' He walked back and sat down.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Flavius stood up, scratching his head and turning to Scaeva:

And I thought that Praetor Scaeva's mission was exactly to prevent this from happening. He must deal with it with his forces, and make sure they do not come back.

You may need to work on your geography Corvenus, for these rebels are not Gauls, they are Italians from Ariminum, therefore having nothing to do with Scaeva's expedition north last term... He smiles

If the Senate is unanimous in this, which i do hope you all are, I will take a detachment from Legio I and destroy the rebels.

But wasn't his mission to completely free the lands of raiding, not only from Gauls? If not, i see a loophole in this plan against the raiders.

Raiding is a very different thing to rebellion young Flavius.
    Besides, if you recall the bill, you will find that the second clause went as so:
    II. The leading consul works to permanently prevent further raids on Italian territory from the celts.

Then there indeed is a loophole in the bill, but since i seemed to be wrong i'll be quiet. How will you then deal with them? We should find out what caused this rebellion. What caused them to leave their homes and turn against their protector?

The long, blonde gray eyed man stood once more expressing his opinion once more. "My esteemed senators if I were to be elected to lead the Northern Italian expedition I guarantee you all, that I will not only completely obliterate this thorn in the sides of Rome, but I will capture this rebel leader and have my way with him to get information out of him once and for all, might I remind the senate that I am a former legionnaire high officer and have extensive knowledge of warfare and combat. Going around in circles is rather benign and I say our next step should be discussing war tactics instead of some bill." With that he banged his walking stick with the silver snake head, a family emblem on the ground showing his family crest ring as he did, silently informing the senate of his highly esteemed family, as he looked around with a small tell tale smile on his lips. This was his chance to better make himself more popular within the senate and he was going to stop at nothing to get this.
    Last edited by Templaranubis; August 20, 2011 at 01:28 PM.

Caius laughed, leaned forward and looked at Triarus. 'How would you be elected? As a former soldier you should know the chain of command. Consuls lead armies, senator! The esteemed veteran Marcus Atrius Merula, consul of Rome, shall crush those rebels. Not some ordinary senator, let alone one who just entered these ranks.' His eyes stared deeply into Triarus. What made this man think he could lead an army while just being a senator for a few days?
    Coming in late and proposing foolish things, these man made Caius tighten his fists. He stuffed himself a bit deeper in his seat as his knuckles turned ash-white. You can't punch someone in the Senate. Not even if he deserves a hard fist obliterating his nose. He smiled at the thought.

Why, have both consuls died, and I the Praetor am somehow incapacitated? What makes you think that you have any right to lead those men into battle? No, under Roman law, it is a consul that leads the first legion to battle, and there happens to be no other public army employed. As for war tactics, what war? This is a minor rebellion.

So, it seems that now we have cleared up that strange little matter, he chuckles and looks at Triarus, I believe i should get going eh?
    But before I leave I will ask the Praetor to begin official proceedings into the trial of Flavius Julius Corvenus. May the prosecutors step forward and state their case in the basilica.

I will take my leave gentlemen! With that, Marcus leaves the Curia and heads for home to get things ready for the north....

As Marcus left, Caius rose and cleared his throat. He also pulled out a scroll. He looked around him until all senators where quiet and started speaking. 'As our consul requested the prosecutors to step forward, I will do so. Even though I am new to these sacred halls I have studied the crimes consular Flavius Julius Corvenus has committed. I have read hours about how he harmed our dear Republic. So I decided to act! Therefore I, Caius Geminius Dives, will sue Flavius Julius Corvenus for the following; attacking an ally of Rome, slaughtering innocent civilians of said ally and for destroying Rome's legions.' Now he looked around him, senators where now whispering with eachother, surprise was visible on many faces. But a few senators where looking happy, they had been waiting for this. 'So if there are senators who agree with me, please rise and show your support. I also request the praetor to start this case.' He walked back to his seat.

He smiled at his thought of sweet revenge. This is for Publius, Corvenus. You should have taken better care of your troops at Bononia. May you fall hard and die slowly from that high rock.

Spurius nods. Very well. The Praetor of Rome is now accepting men to form a jury to judge in the case of the Senate of Rome versus Flavius Julius Corvenus. Please apply in writing to me, and you shall be invited once court proceedings begin.

If i'd remind you, i had received no word of the alliance or anything from our esteemed Consul. I only knew that if they did not agree to alliance, i would be able to storm the city and attack Carthage if i'd will.

If you will, here is the copy of the bill:

I. Senator Marcus Atrius Merula will be given the authority to treat with the "Mamertine" pirates.
    II. Once said senator has made the treaty official, Messana is to be placed under Roman protection with at least one legion.
    III. Once that is done, preparations are to be made for possible aggressive action from Syracuse following the previous events.
    IV. Preparations for a fleet to be built will take place during all of the events foreseen in the previous sections.
    V. Then and only then, at consular discretion, may an assault on Carthage be a possibility.
    As you can see, it actually was Merula who broke the bill, not me. You can imagine my surprise when i saw him in Syracuse. He messed this whole thing up with his actions that were not permitted by the Senate. But do not think i accuse Marcus. He was my friend, but he grew to hate me because he had tried to form alliances without permission of the Senate and I conquered the city.

Is it nowadays a crime to lose the war, or is it simply an excuse you are making to trial me? You can see from the bill that i did nothing which you, concript fathers, did not permit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast