Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: CoW 1.4.4 - Easy and painfree Installation

Default Re: CoW 1.4.4 - Easy and painfree Installation

Thought i'd better make a post. As I was looking to play this again - after trying the Russian downloads and getting CTD's ahoy - I tried this. I've got two games upto 75 turns+ now.

I had one lot of crashes during City sieges (not Dwarf city sieges strangely) - which I solved by lowering my graphics options a little (AA and AntiIsotrope - no shadows). since then i've had 2 - just 2 "random crashes" which I solved by either reloading or butchering the odd rebel force - neither has stopped my main two games of Dwarves and Nordland so far.

I recommend this work by Gigantus 100% if you want to play CoW! Now I might just start to update some of my guides a little - no doubt with my luck with patch 1.5 about to deploy!

Again, great work Gigantus and anyone who has helped him.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The dwarf building textures are custom and I have reduced their size - see 'work done'.

If you had problems with graphics settings during other siege battles you might wish to install this into your main games directory: Creating a World - Reduced City Textures. Don't install into CoW as it will overwrite custom textures there. The aim of it is to replace vanilla textures only.

Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Blog Entries

Started a recommendations section in the first post.

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

Well im playing as averland, and in fact most empire factions start with the same goals:

- first you have to beat back orc invaders.
    - alot of merc appearances seem to be scripted in.
    - then pending on campaign; your first crusade is normally against the vamps with the goal to capture drakenhof.
    - then again pending on your expansion you either trigger a crusade against the orcs in the badlands, or normally for me on VH Choas unites early then the game becomes a veritable storm...
    - Northern barons normally have to deal with dark elf incursions as well.

but so far thats it im on 58 now with crashes and ctd's only happening between scripted characters, battles ie like the orc crusade had some massive battles and sieges and not even a murmur. As soon as i took on the main warcamp instant CTD.

Blog Entries

That stuff I had too, I was actually thinking along the line where a battle is scripted\started when you get to a certain point on the map. they had th e'battle of sterling' scripted like that in 'Kingdom of the Scots' - but good to know that I didn't miss out on anything.
    Just a curious observation as the 'Russian' faction: the undivided chaos event spawns roughly 20 stacks of ueber units, but they all eventually make a move down south. I had two stacks hanging around the capital, not doing anything and being severely hamstrung wiht movement points. I could gather my armies from 10turns away and they still hadn't moved more then a fart. Is that normal?

♔DARTH LEGO♔'s Avatar Vicarius

. I could gather my armies from 10turns away and they still hadn't moved more then a fart. Is that normal?
    -i have noticed the scripted armies do have that 'warping ability' to jump around the map, so it makes it very difficult to trap their forces.
    - i also think (needs checking) that some of the attribute entries for generals are the same as Thera (or vice versa) in that generals get movement points etc with experience.
    - what i do know for sure that without a general, stacks move very slowly.
    - also i suspect there is some of the map penalties ala third age SS etc...this could be placebo on my side but im sure of it....

edit also rereading your post do you mena the chaos armies just hang around? then yes in some case they do randomly, i have always thought it was the Ai waiting for you to come to it to activate the script, but they eventually mobilize if you provoke em
    Last edited by ♔DARTH LEGO♔; August 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM.

I've spent the last 2 evenings faffing about trying to get past turn 4 as DE, I'd lost count of how many times id re-installed. Installed using this, and I've finally hit turn 5! I'll post again later on down the line to let you know if I encounter any problems. I'll try a HE campaign also, as I'd managed to get 30 odd turns in with them, albeit with several random CTD's. Let you know if it's smoother going with this. I'm guessing it will be. Really appreciate you doing this, I can't imagine sorting through all those files was much fun. Hopefully the team will use this for future versions, as it appears to save so much grief.

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

Ugh I am just about at my wits end with this mod...I read your directions and installed everything to the folders where they need to be yet...whenever I click on the mod...it simply opens up another kingdoms launcher! Any way to fix this?

Am I suppose to have this mod installed all ready and then install your version? Or just install all of your files from this starting from scratch? (Which is what I did)

Also am I suppose to delete any more stuff with this edition or not?

I am on Steam using the kingdoms launcher app and making sure its kingdoms.exe (windows vista 64 bit as well)
    Last edited by Vice; August 16, 2011 at 08:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Are you referring to the regular game launcher (simply another launcher)?
    Does this launcher include "Call of Warhammer" after you used the launcher app?

I have updated my tut for Squid's app recently, please have a look if the steps you have taken agree with my instructions. I have actually taken this mod as an example.

Creating a World - Mod Install for Steam

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

EDIT: Never mind...somehow the game works now after simply exiting steam and starting it up again...well at least so far its great! Played a battle or two and a few turns and looking good!

EDIT2: Been playing the last few hours and not ONE CTD or any hint of choppy graphics weird symbols or anything...its perfect! You are a god among men Gigantus!
    Last edited by Vice; August 17, 2011 at 02:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Can you please delete the setting for CoW in the launcher by going into Squid's app.
    Then go through all steps again and make a screenshot at step 4. It appears that somehow the launcher points at launcher.exe instead of kingdoms.exe

Please also open the BAT file of CoW by right clicking it and choosing 'edit' - copy the content of the file here.
    As a cross check please try to start any of the other mods listed in the regular launcher

Um hi, redownloading the Call of Warhammer mod when i stumbled upon this one and im giving it a try since original was CTD every other turn it seemed.

Quick problem though, is there any way to get the patches from something other than rapid share? The link says that the file is expired and while I get the yellow bar along the top of the screen asking to download I click allow and nothing happens it just takes me to the homepage of rapidshare.

Some help please?

Blog Entries

It shouldn't have expired, I only uploaded them about 10 days ago.
    Right next to the links of the RapidShare links are links for MegaUpload. Please be sure to read the note at the bottom of the first post regarding different file names in case you are doing a mix&match of files.

Edit: it appears RapidShare did a fast one on me. I never had a RapidsharePRO account and now they claim it is expired. I have written an e-mail to them, in the meantime please use the MegaUpload links.

Messed up 17th August 2011 - URGENT

RapidShare is jerking me around, apparently my RapidSharePRO account is expired - never paid for anything at RapidShare to become PRO to start with. For the time being please use only the MegaUpload links.

Last edited by Gigantus; August 17, 2011 at 03:13 AM.

Vice's Avatar Biarchus

Not sure if this is the proper topic but since you did this great install and it differs a wee bit from the other I did ill go ahead and ask...

I am playing faction that has Karl Franz as its leader (Forgot the name of it) I was wondering if when you fight there is suppose to be no general speech? And no speech for when yours or the enemy's general dies? Same thing when you destroy walls and what not...Also are the beastmen not suppose to have any voices as well? And finally did you include http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=458983 the mod that is in that thread with the install? And if not would that work with yours?

Sorry first time playing this great mod so if these are noob or stupid questions that everyone knows I apologize...(And if this is not the topic to post such questions I apologize again...I just don't want to mess up the install I have that is working perfectly)

Blog Entries

I have just re-uploaded the patch (see post #2) which includes updated sound files. Please try it out and report back.

diadok's Avatar Senator

I cannot download as i have only wifi for few days; so i am not sure i understood correctly...
    what you have upload/linked in first post is a complete proper install of COW 1.4.4, or a patch to apply on 1.4.4 ?

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

Blog Entries

It is a complete download of version 1.4.4 - see the "The following CoW downloads have beeen included:" section in the post. I have modified it in a way (see "Work done:" there) that it will run smoother.

diadok's Avatar Senator

thanks, i will download when i'll get a proper connection. And i will advertise it on french forum.

You like EPIC battles ? watch Diadok's Gallery, play Epic Late Campaign for TATW 2.1
    "They rob the poor under the cover of law, forsooth, and we plunder the rich under the protection of our own courage." (Black Sam Bellamy)

Blog Entries

After a lot of back and forth it appears that RapidShare has reset my account to it's original state and that the files are now accessible again.
    Could someone please try and confirm if this is the case? Simply click on one of the RapidShare links in the first post and follow through until the download starts.

your a legand man thanks! and i would do some voice acting but im not familiar with modding and voice recording unfortunately lol