Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: CoW 1.4.4 - Easy and painfree Installation

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: CoW 1.4.4 - Easy and painfree Installation

Made an installer for the fixes in post #2:

Patches for Gig's "Easy and painfree Installation'

- Fixed incorrect banner symbol for Dark Elves (Gigantus, Krystoforos)
    - Corrected 'wonky' sounds (The Holy Pilgrim)

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by crake64 View Post
    First, I just found this site and love it, a great credit to all it's members.

I am getting a corrupt/unreadable file error: mods\call_or_warhammer\data\ui\northern_european\portrait\portrait\young\generals\033.tga

I changed the directory to download in steam and opened the installer as admin but can't get past this point. Any help with this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Do I need to have the kingdoms expansion for this mod to install?
    Firstly, welcome to the forums, crake64

Secondly, read the quotes that Gigantus has posted as well as the 1st and second posts in this thread. They'll help you out quite a bit.

Thirdly, yes, you need Kingdoms for this mod to work.

I did make sure they were all the same (all rapidshare file downloads) and followed the steam directions. It probably is that I didn't have the kingdoms expansion installed yet. Thanks for your help guys, Ill get back to you if it still persists.

Krystoforos's Avatar Biarchus

I was testing Dwarfes for 8 turns(about 5 battles including 2 huge ones) and no CTDs I really recommend You to check it. Also with voices from submods (that are implemented in HP files) and combain it with Really Bad AI (You must do it Yourself). It'a a really new level of the game. CHECK IT GUYS
    Last edited by Krystoforos; August 08, 2011 at 12:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krystoforos View Post
    I was testing Dwarfes for 8 turns(about 5 battles including 2 huge ones) and no CTDs I really recommend You to check it. Also with voices from submods (that are implemented in HP files) and combain it with Really Bad AI (You must do it Yourself). It'a a really new level of the game. CHECK IT GUYS
    You just made my day! Thanks.

8 turns, 5 battles without CTD is regarded as good? - is the original installation that bad? (Never tried the original one, just played one round to get a log)

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You just made my day! Thanks.

8 turns, 5 battles without CTD is regarded as good? - is the original installation that bad? (Never tried the original one, just played one round to get a log)
    For some users, unfortunately yes, that is a really good sign. Some of us have experienced very few, but I guess that's because of the 11 or so part download (for some reason people don't know that you don't have to pay for this mod)

Most of the CTD's came from scripted battles, not the normal ones.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    For some users, unfortunately yes, that is a really good sign. Some of us have experienced very few, but I guess that's because of the 11 or so part download (for some reason people don't know that you don't have to pay for this mod)

Altogether with DE it was about 25 turns without CTDs. I played 2-3 scripted battles also without CTDs (in previous verion I had at least one CTD in that time). Maybe it's not much but I'm testing it after work when I have time. I hope that Germanicus verion is a cure and allows players to play smoth. As You said it's a good sign
    Last edited by Krystoforos; August 08, 2011 at 01:39 PM.

Made an installer for the fixes in post #2:

Unfortunatelly there are more problems with banners. Kislev has Lituania symbol from vanilla, rebels the same (have more time to check others). Here You have all banners files(except textures folder) from COW 1.4.4.

Attachment 176230

Got it working. For some reason it wouldn't get through part1 installation when I downloaded from rapidshare (tried downloading and installing twice), but loaded up perfectly with the files from megaupload. Thanks guys for your help.

Blog Entries

I see now where the problem occurred:

When you have TGA and TGA.DDS files of the same name then the DDS version is used by the game. I removed the DDS version not seeing that there are differences between DDS and TGA (there shouldn't have been any to start with) as well as the Russian symbol ones (eg Ęîďč˙ symbols8.tga)
    Using only TGA files is perfectly fine, one should just make sure they are the correct ones.

I am going to sort that out and make a RAR just with correct TGA files.

Edit: added to the second post

Quote Originally Posted by crake64 View Post
    Got it working. For some reason it wouldn't get through part1 installation when I downloaded from Rapidshare (tried downloading and installing twice), but loaded up perfectly with the files from MegaUpload. Thanks guys for your help.
    You might have downloaded a file while I was trying to rename them to be in sync with the MegaUpload files. My apologies, glad you got it working in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    For some users, unfortunately yes, that is a really good sign.
    Could you point me to some posts where this is described? If I knew the circumstances and more details I might be able to do something about it.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 08, 2011 at 09:55 PM.

Domesticus

Im happy enough with my installation, but I too am on dial up Just wanted to say that, kudos and breaking through the demonry that is our ancient connections

First I've run into a bit of a problem. I've installed the game *I'm using steam and used the awesome launcher app* and it works fantastic. However, I've run into an issue with the patch. It installs about 1/2 of the way, then stops, and I get a message that says

"Call of Warhammer - Gig's patches" has not been installed because of the following reasons.

mods\Call of Warhammer\data\menu\_m2_border.xcf: The system cannot find path specified.

What do I do? I know I'm installing it into the right location (the steam MTW2 folder). At least I'm 99.95% sure I am.

Now, let me say, Gigantus... you are the MAN! I installed Third Age a few days ago, and have been playing it like a mad man. Then I stumbled across mention of a Warhammer mod... I went to install it but everything seemed so complex and confusing... AND BUGGY!

Then you come along and make it easy and, apparently, far far far less buggy (I haven't had a single issue after a few hours of play).

So thank you. Thank you for your time and effort from one of the many who you've helped. Sounds corny, but it's true!

Citizen

1. I love corn!

2. Did you follow this-

Please note that the file names differ betweenMegaUpload and RapidShare, the latter does not allow spaces in the file name and replaces it with an underscore. If you 'mix & match' your downloads you will have to make sure the wording\name is the same for all files. The DO files' name is the one that has to be the same as the EXE file's.
    Thanks to THP for pointing that out.
    And this-

Blog Entries

@HP: I think it is a case of your second quote - the patch installer isn't a multi-part installer and only available from one source.

@bigbeard: you may have forgotten to correct the installation path (as you must have done with the full installer) - the pre set path (registry entry) will not be correct if you install for Steam.

@HP: I think it is a case of your second quote - the patch installer isn't a multi-part installer and only available from one source.

@bigbeard: you may have forgotten to correct the installation path (as you must have done with the full installer) - the pre set path (registry entry) will not be correct if you install for Steam.
    I'm suppose to be installing it into the steam medieval II folder right? I've tried to install it in every possible location. The medieval folder, the mod folder, the warhammer folder itself.

Blog Entries

In that case you might have a corrupt download, download again.

In that case you might have a corrupt download, download again.
    Tried that three times already... sigh... looks like I may need to do an entire reinstalliation

If I may ask... what is _m2_border.xcf?

Because I have a _m2_border.tga in the spot where I'm suppose to have the former.
    Last edited by Captbigbeard; August 11, 2011 at 12:48 AM.

Blog Entries

You shouldn't need a full re-installation in this case, it should install into any directory that you choose. It is definetly a case of corrupt installation file (the patch). I haven't heard of any other come back yet, but I am going to upload a fresh version to RapidShare - give it a while (lousy dial up connection).
    The XCF file is a compiled GIMP file, comparable to the PSD format for PhotoShop. I have slightly modified the file (added version number) to indicate the use of my patch, this is the template for it.

Edit: RapidShare Link for patch 001

Last edited by Gigantus; August 11, 2011 at 02:51 AM.

the new one didn't work for me either. For reference I am using Windows 7 64 so maybe that's causing the problem. Anyways I just did it manually from the previous posts which contained the fixes.

Thanks for all the help though!

Citizen

Derp.

I didn't see he was talking about the patch

Also, it appears that I have the same error as Captbigbeard. The menu.xcf keeps coming up as corrupt, and I've downloaded the .exe multiple times (about 5).