Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Sanguinary Guardian's NEW FF: Sojourn

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Very nice work here, Guardian!

This is turning out to be a very exciting tale

+rep
    Thank you!
    (+rep to you too!)
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; September 05, 2011 at 10:05 AM.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Daraunon's Avatar Senator

Excellent work mate! I had some chapters to read,and they were all very nicely written.

You will get some rep as soon as I can manage,now go and write that second chapter!

Quote Originally Posted by Daraunon View Post
    Excellent work mate! I had some chapters to read,and they were all very nicely written.

You will get some rep as soon as I can manage,now go and write that second chapter!
    Thanks, mate! Will do when I learn what the hell happens with my exams in the University.

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

Looking forward to your next update, wish I could rep you friend.

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

It's coming. And I mean it...Chapter 2 will be ready possibly before the weekend. I would have given it in small bits like the first one, but I wanted to finish it properly. The action isn't as fast-paced as the first one, but it explains some things about Syrianna and introduces new characters some of which will play a very important role.

It's up, at last. The action is limited, but some things needed to be explained.
    So, now, onwards, to glory that will be Chapter III (with an interlude at first to set up the action)!
    For those who wonder, the chapter's title is indeed inspired by Robert Heinlein's book. Hey, I am a fan too!

Started to read the latest update and have to say I like what I'm reading.

Thank you!

The second interlude is up! Enjoy!

Still trying to catch up with everything friend, but looking forward to finishing what you have done so far. Keep it up . And now I have to take my two year old son food shopping.....lord help us all

Quote Originally Posted by Borissomeone View Post
    Still trying to catch up with everything friend, but looking forward to finishing what you have done so far. Keep it up . And now I have to take my two year old son food shopping.....lord help us all
    Thank you! I wish a happy and creative month to you and your family!

My next update is going to take a while guys. I am in the middle of a late (due to the students seizing the University for four weeks) examination period, and life kinda sucks right now.
    I 'll be back on track when I am done with this.

It's alive and well...and here I am to tease you, guys...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Another warrior tried a slashing blow against him, but the knight was quicker and parried. Without a second thought, Gérard kneed him in the groin, slammed the pommel of his sword into the back of his head and forced the man on his knees, before ramming the blade onto the back of his neck. The blood sprayed the knight’s faceplate, its stinking smell filling his nostrils. “MY LORD, WATCH OUT!” he heard from a voice he didn’t recognize...

Update at last, folks! I can't put it in the first post, so here it is.

Chapter III: The Battle of Thorns

The column marched relentlessly through the desert sands for three days, stopping only to rest. Finally, the Thorns came into view. The place was nothing more than modest border fort, yet now it buzzed with activity, as hundreds of standards with the Holy Cross waved in the air accompanied by the shouts of men and the whining of horses. A temporary camp was set up outside of the fort, to accommodate all the men. Lord Robert Agerton had apparently mustered all swords available to him, thought Gérard.

As the column marched through the camp’s entrance a voice called out to him “Lord Châtillon!” The knight turned to see Lord Robert, resplendent in his crimson cloak, surrounded by the Eden Guard. Immediately Gérard dismounted and walked to his lord. “My Lord!” he breathed bowing curtly. “Gérard! Come with me.” said the steward of Bae-Acre. The knight ordered his men to get some rest and take care of the horses, and followed Lord Robert in his pavilion. As the two men stood in the twilight, Gérard bowed again. “My Lord?” Lord Robert looked at him fiercely. “I am getting straight to the point, Gérard. Things are deteriorating pretty fast. The Vashta Imams are calling for a Jihad against the infidel dogs, namely us. Though Sultan Omar is assuring us that he intends no evil, his two sons apparently took the Imams’ sermons to heart. Attacks against caravans have increased and we believe that at least one of these two sons has mustered an army to attack us. Grandmaster Baldwin has mustered the Order, and the battle-brothers are on their way. I expect them to arrive within the day, and then we prepare for battle. Seeing that you alone of all my knights are ready, for war, I want you to scout some leagues to the East. Several caravans have been missing and Crown Prince Mahmud may be closer than we thinκ. It pays to be prepared. Can you do it?” Gérard placed his left hand on his chin, thoughtful. “My men are tired, we’ve been marching with little rest for three days.” Lord Robert looked away, his disappointment plain. “But I think we will manage. I will take my men-at-arms with me” continued Gérard. “You do me a great honour, Gérard. Your efforts are noted.” answered the Lord of Bae-Acre, visibly relieved. The knight bowed and turned to leave the pavilion. “One more thing, Monsieur Gérard.” said Lord Robert. “I’d suggest riding a Courser. The Destriers don’t really fare well in such tasks, keep him fresh for the upcoming battle.” Gérard nodded his thanks, and left the pavilion.

“Rise up, men!” the knight shouted to his sleepy men-at-arms. “Those who removed their armour, put it back on”. He walked up to William Ward. “My lord?” the Captain uttered. “We are going to scout ahead. Prepare the horses, Coursers for everyone!” Ward was dumfounded “But, but we haven’t rested...” The knight shot him an angry glare “You heard me, Captain Ward!” The Captain stared the sand “Yes, my lord.” He said, almost apologetically. “What happened, mon seigneur?” Gérard turned to see Xavier. “We are going to scout ahead.” Xavier nodded and started to prepare silently. After several minutes, William Ward returned. “The horses are ready, my lord.” Gérard thanked him “The sergeants are to stay here.” He said. “Yes, lord!” replied the Captain. “MEN-AT-ARMS, MOUNT YOUR HORSES!” roared Gérard, clutching his lance. His men cheered and climbed on their beasts, forming a column behind him, heading for the camp’s exit.

------.------

Dear Lord, I am leading these men for the first time. Help me return them safely to their homes and families. If harm is to befall them, let me take it and keep them safe. Dear Lord, help your humble servant in this quest. Make my heart stout, guide my lance and give strength to my sword-arm. Holy Father who art in heavens, thy will be done….

A voice interrupts my prayers. “My Lord! Look down there!” It’s Bernard Adelen. I turn my head to where his gauntleted hand points. A caravan was under attack by Vashta troops, their green banners with the crescents betraying them. The Christians defending it had arranged the carts into a circle and were trapped inside.

Xavier rides at my side “You don’t plan on attacking, do you?” he asked, his voice laden with concern. I give him a smile. “Why not?” William Ward also comes at my side. “My Lord, there are at least two hundred enemy men down there.” What is this? My lieutenants are afraid? “We must help our Christian brothers down there.” Both try to dissuade me. “For Christ’s sake, they are, they are like sheep about to be slaughtered down there. Prepare to charge.” Xavier takes his place, but the Captain stares at me dumbfounded. “Lord, the…” I interrupt him “DO IT!” He resigns. Obviously he resents me leading the men into battle. I will have to sort this out, sooner or later. The Vashta raiders haven’t noticed us yet, something understandable considering that we are on their rear. I turn to face my men. “Men! The infidel foe attacks the Kingdom of Heavens! The infidel foe attacks Christian civilian caravans! Your wives and children could be down there! Will you leave them undefended?” My men scream their refusal and defiance with a resounding cry “NO!” I lift my lance. “So, we will defend them!” I turn my horse to face the enemy. “CHARGE! FOR GOD AND GLORY!”

------.------

The riders formed a wedge with Gérard at the head and charged against the hundreds of the Muslims. They covered the distance quickly and crashed on the Vashta warriors with a resounding cry. It was a slaughter, with the heavily armoured men-at-arms on horseback trampling underfoot their scattered and bemused foes.

Gérard’s lance broke on an unfortunate man armed with a scimitar, sending him crashing into the sand, with the huge, steel lance-tip protruding from his back. Immediately he tossed the polearm’s broken remains on the hot sand, and drew his mace. He galloped forward, and smashed the spiky weapon on the head of another Vashta warrior, the sound of the cracked skull reaching his ears above the carnage. He looked around and saw his few men killing scores of the lightly armoured Muslim warriors. Even though the initial charge was successful, the Vashta would soon overcome the shock and realize that it is barely two dozen foes that assailed them. They had to press the attack and keep them on the back foot. “PRESS FORWARD!” the knight cried, and charged ahead. His brown Courser, yet unnamed, knocked down a lone warrior, and crushed his chest, before continuing forward. Some Vashta rallied around their banner, an elongated green flag with three golden crescents on it. The knight spurred his horse towards it and silently wished he had taken his Valiant with him instead of the Courser, since the Destrier could prove invaluable in this fight, with its heavier bulk and greater strength. His thoughts were interrupted violently, as his horse suddenly fell on the ground, as a spear-armed Muslim tripped it up.

Gérard fell on the sand bracing seconds before hit the ground. The mace had fallen nearby. His ears were ringing and felt disoriented, as he rose up. He barely managed to block a spear thrust from the warrior that tripped his horse with his shield, a block of luck rather than skill. The dizziness retreated as his instincts took over. He fell on his foe. Dodging another thrust he closed the distance with the Muslim and slammed him with his blue shield, throwing him on the ground. Gérard knelt on his chest and saw the fear in his enemy’s eyes. He relished at the thought, and put his gauntleted hand on the Muslim’s throat. As the man’s eyes bulged by the pressure, the knight lowered his head so that he foe could hear him. “Die!” he cursed him, hissing. “I hate you!” The Muslim struggled but it was in vain. Gérard tightened his grip until he was sure his foe died. He searched for his Courser, but he couldn’t see it in the fog created by the sand. He saw the Vashta banner again and drew his blade as he ran to it. He stabbed the first Vashta warrior that defended it in the chest. Another warrior tried a slashing blow against him, but the knight was quicker and parried. Without a second thought, Gérard kneed him in the groin, slammed the pommel of his sword into the back of the Muslim’s head and forced the man on his knees, before ramming the blade onto the back of his neck. The blood sprayed the knight’s faceplate, its stinking smell filling his nostrils. “MY LORD, WATCH OUT!” he heard from a voice he didn’t recognize, but instinct kicked in and he ducked. A sleek shadow screamed past his head, and he turned to see the standard bearer right behind him with his scimitar held high and a hastily constructed arrow buried in his chest. The Muslim fell down and the standard tumbled into the sands. A commoner cradling a hunting bow appeared from the fog followed by others with makeshift spears and javelins.

William Ward galloped between the peasants and Gérard with five men-at-arms,and dismounted “My lord, are you hurt?” asked the veteran, genuinely concerned. “No Captain, I am fine” said Gérard, observing the scene. “What about the others?” Ward beamed with pride as he replied “Light injuries, nothing serious. We swept the bastards. They will be running for days.” Gérard felt elated “You’ve trained them well, Captain” he said smiling. The fog cleared away slowly and revealed the few remaining Muslims running as fast as they could. A blood-spattered Xavier came into view, on horseback, dragging the brown Courser behind him “I believe you lost this somewhere, my lord.” he said. “Thank you, my friend.” answered the knight. The commoner with the bow stood in front of Gérard and his lieutenants. “Gratitude, my lord.” He breathed as he bowed. “Without you and your men, we would surely have perished. God bless you!” he added. Gérard smiled “It is the duty of the Christian Warrior to protect the weak. Who were these Vashta?” the knight asked. “They are called Otjuk Warriors. They form the bulk of the Vashta raiding parties. Scavengers and low-life scum, the lot of them.” spat the commoner. “The Army of God lies a few leagues to the west, my good man. Get your people to safety.” said Gérard. “And…thank you” he added. The man bowed again and left.

The men-at-arms dismounted and helped the commoners to get moving again. Gérard recovered his mace, and stood on a dune, observing the procedures, washing the blood out of his sword with water from the flask hanging from his belt. “Are you an angel?” said a child’s voice behind him. Gérard turned and saw a little girl looking straight at him with big, innocent eyes. “What did you say?” he asked disbelief plain in his face. “My mommy says that when Christians are in danger from the infidel, God sends his Angels of Death clad in blue to destroy the unbelievers and save His flock.” said the girl. Gérard thought about it. She must be referring to the Battle-Brothers of the Holy Order. “I am not an angel.” He said firmly. The girl seemed disappointed. “But the angels are coming, to punish the unbelievers who committed this crime. Go, help your mother now.” The girl left and Gérard stared the horizon, his gaze empty.

The peasants had almost completed the packaging, when a rider appeared on the horizon. He was heavily armed and armoured. “Allah will grant us victory! Allah is great! Praise be to Him and the Prophet!” he shouted. Gérard run down from the dune he was standing. “Men, prepare for battle!” he cried, climbing on his horse. “You!” he said pointing at a man-at-arms. “Gallop to the camp, and inform Lord Agerton! We have found the enemy!” The man bowed and climbed on his horse. The peasants started to panic. Amidst the chaos, Gérard found their leader, the man who had saved him. “Go! We will cover your escape!” he said to the commoner who nodded in response.

As the peasants fled, dragging their mules and carts, the men-at-arms formed a line. Most of them had found their lances after the first engagement, but some did not. Gérard ordered them to form two lines, with the latter in the second one. The Christians galloped to the hill where the lone rider had appeared and stopped. A huge Vashta army covered the plain below. The knight halted his horse. “Stand proud, men!” he said. Five hundred heavily armoured cavalrymen started galloping towards them.

------.------

So, today is the day that I meet my destiny. My men stand by my side, their loyalty unwavering even unto death.They do me honour. William Ward hasn’t protested. He knows that it is our duty to defend these commoners, and the messenger. That way, our end will not be in vain. It will be a good death.. I cannot say anything no rousing speech. “Death and glory!” I yell, and we charge the Muslim riders. I have read they are called Ghulam, and that they are slave-soldiers and bodyguards to sultans and princes. No matter, I will take as many of them as I can to hell with me, before I die. I hear the horse panting and time slows. I draw my mace, and crash! A lance tip barely misses my right shoulder, and I swing the mace to the head of my assailant. A satisfying crack fills my ears, as my opponent slides from the saddle, his face most probably a gory mess. I crash my weapon to another Ghulam’s head and he falls as well. My men fight bravely, but there will be no victory today. Suddenly a blunt pain ripples in the back of my head. My vision muddled and I feel dizzy. I can’t hold the reins. My God the pain! I slide down from my saddle, and fall on the sand, hearing a crack on my left hand. My men fall all around me. I try to crawl, but the strength is drained from my limbs. A golden flash on the horizon? Is it a cross? Is it….

------.------

Gérard opened his eyes. The sun burnt his face, a continuous shake caused pain in his left arm and he looked around dizzy. “Rest, my lord!” he heard a voice that he recognized but couldn’t remember. “Where am I?” he muttered. “You are safe. Now rest.” The knight faded again.

A light breeze woke Gérard up. It was nearing evening. “So you wake up.” Said the voice he had heard earlier, and the knight turned and saw Robert Agerton sitting on a bench behind him. “You are either the stupidest or the bravest person I’ve known. Perhaps you are both” added the Lord of Bae-Acre, a bleak smile on his face. “What happened?” asked Gérard. “Don’t move. Your left hand is broken and the Physicians have put it in a splint. It will take time to mend.” Three figures in armour and white surcoats appeared from behind the pavilions. The three men dismounted. Dumbfounded, Gérard noticed the gold crosses in their surcoats, and the silver mask one of them was wearing. “Is he here?” said the man with the mask. “There he is, Lord Grandmaster.” said Robert. The Grandmaster of the Pale Knights came above Gérard and knelt by his stretcher. “Sire!” said the knight, trying to bow. “No, not sire. And don’t bow, it’s not needed.” said the Grandmaster. With a slow, graceful move, the Lord of the Pale Knights removed his mask. A handsome face filled with energy and youth appeared. Gérard stared at his brown eyes “I hear that you performed deeds that can be described as really brave.” said the Grandmaster. “I wouldn’t say so, my lord. I just did my duty.” answered the knight. The Grandmaster smiled “I am Baldwin de Ibelin, Grandmaster of the Order of the Pale Knights. I am honoured to meet a warrior so valiant.” he said and offered his hand. Gérard grabbed the hand in salute “My name is Gérard Châtillon, my lord. It is an honour to serve you.” The Grandmaster rose up. “My lord? What happened? Are my men safe?” asked the knight. The Lord of the Pale Knights took a deep breath. “The Order’s army arrived shortly after you left for your scouting and the march began immediately. Halfways, we met the man-at-arms you sent and the refuges. I took the Order’s veterans ahead and we surprised the Ghulams as the last man of your host fell. Apparently, it turned out that the Ghilman who attacked you were the personal guard of Crown Prince Mahmud himself, and that the prince was with them. We captured him, and rescued you. We signed a truce, and let him go. Of your men, three died, five are heavily injured and the rest are unharmed.” he said. “Thank you, my Lord.” said the knight. Xavier’s voice interrupted the conversation “So, here you are. I’ve been looking everywhere for you. Ward as well.” He paused. “Lord Grandmaster!” he said and bowed. “Man-at-arms.” the Lord of the Pale Knights acknowledged him. “I take my leave, now, Lord Châtillon. Continue like this and I will be forced to find new uses for you.” said the Grandmaster. “Thank you, Sire” said Gérard. Baldwin smiled “I am not Sire.” He looked at Robert Agerton, the smile never leaving his face as he put his mask back on. “When will he learn?” Lord Robert laughed “He is still new here, Lord Grandmaster. He will learn.” assured the Lord of Bae-Acre. The Grandmaster climbed on his horse and left, his white cape billowing and his guards behind him. “I leave you two to have your talk.” said Robert.

“You have the Grandmaster’s eye on you.” observed Xavier. “Such honour.” Gérard sighed. “Who fell?” Xavier’s face turned cold “Edward Colden, Matthew Elgard and Thierry Esmond.” he said silently. “We will give them a proper burial, when we get to the Trident.” promised Gérard. He rose up, groaning in pain. “Where are you going?” asked Xavier worried. “To see the wounded.” answered the knight. “But you are wounded yourself. Gérard!” The knight was already moving, and Xavier followed him. “They must see me. I caused this. They must see.” murmured the knight.

------.------

Almost a week passed at the Thorns. Two more men of Gérard succumbed to their wounds . Most of the army had left as the lords returned to the castles and manors. Gérard’s host was one of the last to leave, alongside Robert Agerton’s.

Thankfully for the knight, his men-at-arms did not hold any grudge against him for the suicidal charge. They appreciated the fact that he visited them every day and talked to them, knowing each by name.

The last men that left the Thorns were Gérard’s and Robert’s. The two lords rode at the head of the column. “My lord.” said the knight. Robert turned to look at him. “Why the Grandmaster does not want to be called sire?” The Lord of Bae-Acre smiled. “He is not a king.” he answered simply. “But, he rules these lands. He is a king.” insisted Gérard. “He does indeed. By the support of the Ecclesiarchy, no less. And that’s the reason. He is the Grandmaster. The Kingdom of Heaven answers to God, which means his earthly representative. If anyone can call himself King of the Christians in Outremer that’s the Grand Inquisitor. The Grandmaster supposedly rules at his stead. In truth, he is the king. He just can’t ritually claim the title for fear of losing the Inquisition’s favour and the support of other Christian kingdoms. Of course no Grand Inquisitor would claim kingship either, because he would lose the support of the Order, and thus, he wouldn’t be able to keep the Outremer.” Robert smiled. “A rather effective compromise.” he added. Gérard pondered for a minute. “Indeed.” he uttered.

After four days of march, the hosts arrived at the crossroads. “Farewell, Lord Agerton.” said offering his right hand to the Lord of Acre. “Farewell, Gérard. I hope your hand heals quickly. God knows we need men like you.” answered Robert shaking the knight’s right hand.

The host of Gérard reached the Trident a day later. The knight spoke with John Bailiff and Thomas Wenden and arranged the funeral of the fallen. Reverent Jacob Shepard performed the ceremony in the evening before the entire community. The dead were honoured and put to rest in proper Christian manner. May they find forever peace thought Gérard as the ceremony was completed.

Enjoy! As usual, leave comments and critique.
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; May 14, 2012 at 06:35 PM.

Teaser! Chapter IV will be ready, soon, I hope.
    “No prisoners! No mercy! God wills it!” I yell, as I place my foot on the dead pirate’s chest and pull my sword out of his skull. My men cheer in response. The body of the dead man slams into the ground, like a sack of potatoes. The blade is stained by parts of brain and bone. A strange red colour has settled on the edges of my sight.

As I kill and kill, the red is widening and my vision is half-swallowed by it. It’s like I am fighting in a red mist.
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; January 11, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

Eohelm's Avatar Semisalis

Whoo! Kind-of-sort-of update!
    "Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth, always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong. That is your oath."

It's just a teaser. Chapter IV is halfway done, I am writing like a whipped peasant of the Royaume these past two days.

I'm sure it will be worth the wait friend.

As promised here is Chapter IV. I hope you enjoy reading it, as much as I enjoyed writing it

Chapter IV: Berserker

The morning sea wind washed over Gérard’s face. He stood alone in the balcony of the manor, overlooking the sea, just as he liked to do back in Elagnon. His left hand had mended well the last month, and he had been exercising it, so that it could be as strong as it used to be. He could now spar with Xavier and he did so every dawn with gusto. That morning’s sparring session had concluded several minutes ago, leaving the knight with some bruises and scratches and Xavier with some more.

Gérard turned and entered the room, closing the balcony door behind him. He looked on the office and saw a single letter, left there by the servant that took care of the pigeons. The knight took the letter, broke the seal and started reading.

“A call to arms, again?” said Xavier suddenly as he entered the room. “Indeed. It’s from Lord Robert. He says his spies discovered the hideout of pirates that have been plaguing the seas for years. The very same pirates who killed the previous lord of the Trident.” said Gérard, picking an apple from a basket on the table. “And?” asked the man-at-arms raising an eyebrow. “And it’s deep in Vashta territory, and we have just signed a treaty with them. Lord Robert is eager to proceed with their extermination, of course, but the Grandmaster hasn’t made any decision, yet. So, I am to take some men and travel to Bae-Acre with the Order’s Cog, in order to be ready if the Grandmaster approves of this assault.” Answered the knight, as he chewed the apple. Xavier scratched his chin. “How many will you take with you?”
    “You, two or three men-at-arms, and twenty sergeants. A good complement, don’t you think?”
    “You descend from a naval house, you tell me.”
    Gérard sighed. “Pick the men and order them to prepare. Ward will take command in my absence.” Xavier bowed and left, without saying a word.

------.------

The familiar feeling of leaving safety emerged at Gérard’s breast, and his stomach tightened as he boarded the Holy Order’s Cog, the Divine Wrath, with Xavier, three men-at-arms and twenty sergeants. The crew welcomed them on board and made every effort to make them comfortable. As soon as the preparations were made, the ship sailed from the anchorage of the Trident with course to Bae-Acre. Gérard’s uneasiness quickly turned into excitement and trepidation for the coming battle, as his beloved sea winds caressed his skin.

The journey was short and unperturbed. The ship’s captain, who sported a Germanic name that Gérard found impossible for some reason to remember-he resolved to just call him “Captain”- appeared eager for the coming battle, as they entered the port of Bae-Acre. The knight stared at the massed fleet of the Order and could share the captain’s optimism. Cogs, Carracks, some armed with the latest canons from the forges of the Reich, others with traditional catapults and ballistae and all of them bearing the azure sail with the red cross emblazoned on it. Many Lords of the coastal settlements had also brought their ships at the command of Robert Agerton, their standards adding a splash of colour in the multitude of the Order’s blue sails.

The Divine Wrath closed with Lord Agerton’s flagship, the Carrack Ferocious and Gérard with Xavier boarded the vessel. “Gérard, Xavier! You arrived just in time!” said the Steward, who sat in a command chair, magnificent in his golden trimmed plate armour and crimson cloak. The knight and the man-at-arms bowed deeply. Lord Robert rose up, waved his councilors aside and stood before the two men. He placed his left hand on Gérard’s shoulder. “Good to see you again! How’s the hand?”
    “It has healed well my lord. What is going on?”
    “We received orders from the Grandmaster. We are to destroy these pesky raiders!” answered Robert jubilantly. “Get to your ship and keep in formation! We leave immediately!”

------.------

Afternoon. The waves broke upon the Divine Wrath’s wooden hull, as the ship moved into the vanguard of the fleet. Sergeants hastily made ready their crossbows while the crew manned the ballistae and hefted their arquebuses. Enemy ships had been spotted on the horizon. Apparently the pirates had decided to engage in open war with the Order’s fleet. Are they so bold, or rather desperate? thoughtGérard as he stood on top of the prow in full armour. Other, lesser knights might have discarded the protection for fear of drowning, but Gérard was of House Châtillon, born into the sea. He wouldn’t be wrong-footed in the slippery wooden deck of a ship, like the clumsy mainlanders. The sea was his friend.

The knight held the shield in his left arm, and cradled his greathelm in the right hand. His blue surcoat had been wetted by drops of seawater from some bigger waves. He could see the masts of the pirate ships closing the distance. “Full sails ahead!” commanded the Captain, his voice lost amidst the organized chaos on the ship’s deck.
    Gérard looked to his right and left and his chest heaved with pride as the Christian fleet surged to meet the Muslims. The ballistae started to fire their huge flaming projectiles. The knight placed his helmet on, stiffening his vision, but making him feel safer.

The two fleets closed the distance quickly. Several vessels had been struck on both sides by the flaming projectiles, but the real bloodshed was about to begin. The flagship Ferocious was the first to break through the enemy lines, and the mighty ship unleashed thunderous broadsides with its Faustian-made cannons, crippling two dhows as she passed between them. The crews of the Christian fleet erupted into violent cheering, as the smoke cleared to reveal the burning wrecks of the two pirate vessels, their passengers jumping into the ocean screaming in agony, while flames ate their flesh. As the battlelines blurred, the sound of hulls crashing into each other was fierce, the crews of the ships that could not match the firepower of the Ferocious, engaged in traditional and bloody boarding actions.

Gérard drew his blade and gathered his sergeants and men-at-arms at the prow of the Divine Wrath. “Hoist the sails! Left full rudder!” shouted the Captain, as a ganja, a large version of the dhow appeared in front of the cog. Its appearance was sudden, as the smoke from the thunderous roars of the cannons had obscured vision. Gérard stood at the head of the clutter of men formed on the ships fore, with Xavier at his right. They held their shields up, as the first arrows screeched through the air. A spearman sergeant was struck in the face, and he fell on the hull, screaming. Two crewmen dragged him back. Gérard’s crossbowmen answered the shots. Three pirates fell in the darkened sea. The cog couldn’t possibly avoid contact with the ganja, and the two hulls collided side by side in deafening sound.

The knight leapt to the deck of the pirate vessel with a furious warcry and Xavier and the other two men-at-arms not far behind. The lightly armoured pirates couldn’t withstand the assault of such well-armoured troops, but they were many more than the Christians. Gérard hacked wildly left and right, his flanks covered by his trusted men-at-arms. The four armoured warriors stood like castles amidst their lighter opponents. Crossbowmen and arquebus-wielding crewmen of the Divine Wrath poured a devastating volume of fire at point-blank range, others supporting the knight and his men and others killing enemy sharpshooters. Cries of pain and anguish mingled with cheering in a deafening and strange crescendo of sound. “Push!” shouted Gérard with all the strength of his lungs. The warriors pushed at the ailing mass of demoralized pirates, allowing the spear-armed sergeants to board the ganja.

The slaughter commenced.

------.------

We break formation. The momentum is definitely on our side, as more and more sergeants pour on the deck. Through the slits of my helm, I see a pirate aiming at me with an arquebus. A crossbow bolt strikes his neck but the weapon discharges, and the bullet goes right through my shield. I feel no pain. My armour may have stopped it. A pirate comes to me, throwing his weapon down and kneeling before me. Is that man trying to surrender? My sword-hand moves instantly and instinctively and my bastard sword cleaves his head. “Die, scum!” Xavier stabs another one next to me, and raises his blooded sword in salute. Beneath my helm, I smile. The old man stands proud and honourable in battle, with nearly a crippled hand. Would that other knights behaved as such. “No prisoners! No mercy! Kill them all! God wills it!” I yell, as I place my foot on the dead pirate’s chest and pull my sword out of his skull. My men cheer in response. The body of the dead man slams into the ground, like a sack of potatoes. The blade is stained by parts of brain and bone. A strange red colour has settled on the edges of my sight.

As I kill and kill, the red is widening and my vision is half-swallowed by it. It’s like I am fighting in a red mist.

Finally, the ganja is ours. There are no living Muslims here, only jubilant Christians. The stench of blood fills my nostrils, making me agitated. Good Lord, it has grown dark! As we turn to return to our ship, I notice a shade that grows larger behind the red mist.

------.------

Cannons thundered in the distance, the flashes of their muzzles visible like suns for mere seconds and the sounds of battle were all over the air. It was getting darker, the sun was setting and the smoke from the cannons obscured everything. Horst Rhoichendorch, captain of the Divine Wrath felt uneasy. He couldn’t see past fifty meters, and he was stuck with an enemy warship, exposed as a worm on the road in a rainless day. That insane knight he was carrying had led a boarding assault, killing everything on board that pirate ganja. As the sergeants were retrieved by the Wrath, a shadow loomed in the horizon.

From the smog, a dhow-type ship appeared, but larger than anything the Captain had seen before. Clouds of arrows fell upon the exposed crewmen and sergeants. Cries of pain and anguish filled the Rhoichendorch’s ears, as crewmembers dragged their fallen comrades on the slippery deck, covered with blood, saltwater and the innards of the less fortunate. A ballista bolt launched from one of the giant dhow’s ballistae almost point blank, skewered two sergeants, their armour and shields worthless against such force. The projectile fell into the sea, taking the two screaming men with it. “Quickly, get back here” he screamed at those still on the ganja’s deck, his voice betraying his panic. Grappling hooks pulled the pirate vessel near the ganja. Almost all men had retreated back to the cog. All but one, who stands like a statue as if no slaughter happens around him. That insane knight!

------.------

Red! Everything is red! Someone approaches…a human? That’s not a human! Great horns protrude from his hairy head and his eyes have a sinister yellow glow! He raises his rotten blade to strike at me but I parry quickly and strike him down. Abomination! Many more appear, jumping from a hell ship disgorged from the pits of the Devil himself. I raise my sword and charge against the hellspawn! The blood of martyrs is the seed of Christianity.

------.------

Xavier watched in horror as his master charged heedlessly into the mass of boarding pirates. Gérard was brave but he always measured the situation before charging into the fray. Even when he charged at the Thorns, there was no other way, if the civilians were to escape safely. But this time, it was different. The knight charged, howling like a wild animal, into the mass of the pirates. There was only one explanation for this. The men-at-arms breathed deeply. “Rally to me!” he shouted. The tired sergeants as well as the two other men-at-arms answered the call, hastily. “To our lord!” Xavier yelled, and charged at the pirates, his men behind him. The Divine Wrath’s crew assumed firing positions again, and fired withering fusillades against the foe.

The pirates hoped for an easy victory, but the suicidal assault caught them off-guard. Gérard bashed a man with his shield, and threw him overboard, beneath the dark waves where the sharks held a macabre feast caring not if they devoured Muslim or Christian flesh, while Xavier hacked through another. The sergeants had formed a shieldwall, and pushed their enemies back, stabbing them with their spears. The pirates had lost the initiative and were now routing back to their ship.

Xavier tried to restrain Gérard but took the knight’s elbow in the face, and staggered backwards while the maddened man jumped to the deck of the large pirate ship, hacking and slashing wildly left and right with astonishing speed and precision. He moved faster than any other armoured warrior he had ever seen. Retreat was not an option, now. He would keep his master and friend safe, no matter what. The Christian soldiers climbed on the Muslim ship and formed a wedge behind the knight. Pirates are attacking on both sides and the men are exhausted. Amidst the smoke, a mast darkened the sky, bearing a scorched azure sail with the red cross. The ship’s grappling hooks pulled the Christian vessel side by side with the other three ships, causing several men to fall to the deck, and some to fall overboard. More Christian warriors join the fray, including a figure with a long but tattered crimson cloak and golden trimmed plate armour.

------.------

“Die!” I shout as I drive my blade inside another hellspawn. I turn around and look over the hellish vessel, its deck made by gory flesh. As my view pans to the bridge, I see my brother! Henry, malformed and corrupted into a mocking parody of a human being, points his betaloned hand to me. Vengeance and justice! I sprint to the stairs that lead to the bridge, slaughtering the two pitiful creatures that tried to stop me at Henry’s commands. How easily do they fall when faced by steel blessed by our Mother Church! Their leering visages turn into expressions of anguish while the glow fades from their eyes. Another vessel crashes into the ship’s starboard side, but I don’t care. All I want is Henry’s tainted blood. For all his terrible visage, my brother proves weak of heart as I near him. He drops his mace, and kneels, begging me to spare him in a language I don’t recognise. I drop my sword and shield, remove my helmet and bash him in the face with it, causing him to fall back. I grab his head from the hair and drag him to the railings on top of the bridge. I start slamming his head on the iron surface of the railings.

------.------

“Lord Robert” said Xavier jubilantly, and bowed before the man who had saved them. The Steward nodded and both made it to the bridge where they found Gérard kneeling, covered in blood, next to a corpse with a crushed head, the grey tissue of the brain dripping slowly into the sea. The knight tried to raise his head, but couldn’t He felt exhausted, his muscles paining and his lungs aching. He was too weak, even to walk. Xavier and one of the men-at-arms held him up and helped him walk back to the Divine Wrath. The men seated Gérard on a chair, in the cog’s bowels.

“What I felt…” muttered the knight, as a crewmember brought water for him to clean his hands and face, and clean clothes for him to wear. Xavier scratched his chin. “It’s called battle trance. Very few warriors have ever experienced it.” Gérard removed his tattered surcoat and unstrapped the coat of plates beneath it. The bullet had pierced it. The knight removed his vambraces and greaves, and his chainmail armour and found the bullet mangled with several rings. “You are lucky. The shield and the coat of plates slowed the bullet down and it didn’t penetrate the chainmail.” said the man-at-arms, checking the knight’s body for blows. The crewman gathered the weapons and armour parts and started washing them, cleaning them of blood. Xavier helped the knight to dress. “Battle trance you say? I saw daemons, Xavier. It may sound maddening but it isn’t. I saw daemons and my brother leading them.” protested the knight silently. “Indeed. Recounts of those who have entered a battle trance claim that they saw not their true opponents but their fears, and they had this chance to kill them. Your vision was also blurred by red, wasn’t it?” Gérard nodded.
    “It can be a gift and a curse. You were faster and stronger than usual, but when it left, you had no energy, nothing. Not to mention that crazed assault when the ganja was boarded by the other pirate ship.” said Xavier. He placed a hand upon his friend’s shoulder. “Control it, Gérard. Never let it take you again. Mind over matter, in every fight. Control it!” Gérard smiled weakly. “Did we won?” he asked
    “We did. We broke their back and we are sailing to their stronghold to get rid of them, once and for all.”
    “Losses?”
    “We lost nine sergeants, and the Divine Wrath lost twenty two crewmembers and marines.”
    Gérard sighed. “Many of these losses are my fault.” Xavier intervened “It wasn’t your blade nor your arrow that took their lives. If you want someone to hate, hate the enemy, and not yourself.” Gérard said nothing. “Come on, let’s go and see if there is anything to eat in this dammed vessel.” said Xavier helping the knight stand up.

A full stomach and a good night sleep can work wonders on the human organism, as Gérard discovered the next morning. He felt as light as a feather without the armour, walking on the battered deck of the Divine Wrath. The ship bore scars from the battle last night, and was woefully undermanned. The knight could feel the crew’s angry and accusing glares. The Captain and the crew honoured their dead or what was left of them offering their bodies in the sea’s embrace. Gérard could understand their hostility, feeling responsible for the loss of many crewmembers. On the other hand, he wasn’t entirely in control of himself. Even though their hostility was plain obvious, the knight didn’t feel threatened. Noone was brave or foolish enough to lay a hand on a noble, and even if someone tried, he would lose that hand. Seamen were known for their traditions and superstitions but not their foolishness.
    The coastline appeared at midday. The Northeastern peninsula of Syrianna covered the horizon. Gérard and his men started to prepare for battle.

------.------

The armour was battered but gleaming after being cleaned from the blood and the tattered blue surcoat billowed in the wind. Gérard stood at the prow of the ship, with his fourteen remaining men, sergeants and men-at-arms; all stood battered but defiant behind him in full panoply of war. The fleet approached the coastline and the wooden palisades of the pirate fort were visible already. People ran in the beach terrified at the sight of so many warships. The anchorage was big and complex. The carracks of the Christian fleet took position ahead, and started bombarding the shoreline, while the smaller vessels and troop transports closed in to disgorge the hordes of warriors they carried.

Explosions raked the beach, as the Divine Wrath closed in. The bombarded faded and Gérard with his men jumped into the shallow waters, weapons at the ready, and advanced to the beach. Corpses and the stench of burned flesh welcomed them, as they moved through the blackened sands. Many Crusader groups had landed but were scattered along the huge coastline. A scream from a dried throat filled the air, and a previously hidden old man started running towards them cradling his staff. A crossbow armed sergeant fired instinctively, the bolt hitting the man squarely in the chest. The scream died in his throat and he fell on his back. Gérard neared the corpse and touched it with his foot to make sure that the man was dead; as the crossbowman reloaded his weapon. “Foolish man” muttered Xavier as he stared at the corpse. Everyone was tense, even though the fort seemed abandoned. Several Crusader groups met up with Gérard and his men, at the gates of the palisade and broke them down with a hastily constructed battering ram. The men entered the fort cautiously. It seemed abandoned.

A shout filled the air and Muslim archers and arquebusiers rose from the wooden roofs and fired their deadly volleys on the surprised Crusaders. “Get back!” Gérard shouted, and many Christians followed him through the gates, outside the walls. Pirates hidden in secret trap doors covered with sand attacked the ailing Crusaders. Many knights had been stricken and laid on the ground, moaning in pain, leaving their troops leaderless. “Form a damned circle!” shouted Gérard amidst the carnage “Xavier, tell them to form a circle!” The man-at-arms yelled orders at the men. Several sergeants heard them and obeyed, forming a large circle, with spearmen and swordsmen on the outer layers and crossbowmen, archers and arquebusiers alongside the wounded on the inner layers.

A lone knight in white and red was struck by a crossbow bolt in the back, as he tried to reach the circle. Gérard broke the circle, ran to the warrior and grabbed the man from the armour’s collar, covered him with his shield and dragged him to the center of the circle as pirate bolts, arrows and bullets screamed past them. “Someone help him!” he cried, and a warrior clad in black surcoat with a white cross knelt at his side and looked at the wound. “Go!” said the dark warrior and Gérard took his place back in the circle, using his shield to bash and push back the pirates. The Crusaders were packed so tightly that he dare not swing his hand-and-a-half sword for fear of striking a fellow Christian. Instead he opted for stabbing blows to the usually unarmoured abdomen of the Muslims

The Christians fought bravely, and were soon joined by other Crusaders from the landing waves that followed and together they routed the pirates. Lighting up torches, the warriors of God entered the city en force and started lighting up the wooden buildings, burning everything in their path, looting and pillaging whatever treasures they would find.

Gérard restrained his men and searched for surviving pirates amidst the smoke. Inside a house that hadn’t caught fire yet, he found one holding his woman and child in his embrace, crying, his scimitar left on the floor. The woman knelt before the knight, wailing and begging in a strange language and the child, barely three years old, cried. He noticed that the Muslim was injured blood pouring from his ribs, staining the floor. How might they view me? A daemonic warrior, a soldier from hell. His visage was surely terrifying, being taller and broader than the average Vashta, armoured from head to toe with the greathelm covering his head, the faceplate hiding any human feature, rendering him a man of steel, not of flesh. To them, I am Death. Xavier burst into the house, with two spear-armed sergeants. One of the sergeants made a move towards the Muslims “No!” said the knight, and the spearman stopped. The pirate had stopped breathing. “Let’s go.” said the knight, and left the house, with his men behind him. As he left, he saw the woman cradling the child running from the house, as the first tongues of fire licked its wooden surface.

The Christians slaughtered and burned everything in the fort. The pirate threat was neutralized, and the few that survived would not plague the Kingdom of Heaven again for many decades. The exhausted but jubilant warriors returned to the beach by midnight, the entire fort blazing like a pagan pyre illuminating the dark sky. Gérard had lost three more men, two in the initial pirate ambush, and one later in that battle.

A camp was hastily erased, and the many wounded were slowly carried to the vessels, by small boats, while the healthy rested, cleaned their weapons and armour or stood guard. Gérard accompanied by his small band of men, moved through the campfires. He found Lord Robert in a large cluster of men, above a litter. Upon it, laid the knight he had saved in the morning. “Is he going to be alright?” he asked Lord Robert. “Ah, Lord Châtillon! Good fights, both in the naval battle and today. My compliments. Yes, lord Guillaume will most probably be fine.” Gérard made to leave. “You!” he heard a voice, calling out to him. The black-clad warrior that had taken care of lord Guillaume’s wound approached Gérard. Only now did the knight realize that this man was a warrior of the Order Hospitaller of St John. “You are a very brave man.” said the warrior-monk “I am brother-knight George Oshford.” he said as he offered his hand. Gérard shook it. “I am Gérard Châtillon” he replied. Brother Oshford turned to Lord Agerton and pointed at Gérard. “This man here ordered the circle to be created and dragged lord Guillaume de Nablus back to the center of it when he was struck, heedless of the risk to his own life. For that, he has earned my respect and the respect of my order.” he said. Lord Robert nodded and spoke to Gérard. “Walk with me.” The two men walked away, and started speaking in a low voice.

“You truly try to make a name for yourself, don’t you?” said Lord Agerton, smiling. “What are you talking about, my lord?” asked Gérard, dumfounded. “The man you saved. He is one of the most important lords of the realm, commanding a hundred knights, four hundred and fifty men-at-arms and thirteen hundred sergeants as well as being a personal friend to the Grandmaster himself. He also rules over the powerful castle of Kerak.” Gérard stared at the elder man. “Whoever he was, I would have done the same. I didn’t know anything at that time. Why there was noone to protect him?” he answered firmly. “I knew you would. The man had brought very few men with him, with Kerak being so close to the border with the Barka Sultanate. We are at peace with them, but you can never be sure.” Gérard nodded. “Listen, Gérard. When we return to Bae-Acre, the Grandmaster will surely summon me to Bae-Eden to report and plan ahead, along with several lords. I want you to come with me.” Gérard opened his mouth to protest. “No protests. You have earned it. You have turned the Trident into a thriving community, you have risked your life in the Thorns to protect civilians and you were among the first to assault the pirate fort here, not to mention your performance in the naval battle. Witnesses claim you killed two enemy crews almost single-handed.”
    “They exaggerate.”
    “That may be, but fact is, you are either very good or very lucky. Perhaps both. In any case we need you. Not to mention that the Grandmaster has his eye on you, and he is an even better judge of characters than I am. You will come with me.” argued Lord Agerton, in a voice that brooked no denial.
    Gérard bowed. “As you will, my lord.”

The Ganja is a larger version of the Dhow, for those of you who are interested.
    Last edited by Sanguinary Guardian; May 14, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast