Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Mini-Guide: On Rebel Armies and Settlements

Default A Mini-Guide: On Rebel Armies and Settlements

Hi. I am new to the Total War series, having had only Medieval 2 + Kingdoms for about three months. However, from my experiences, I have decided to write a (not so) mini-guide as a measurement of how much I know.

Rebel Armies:

Overview: These suckers are there from the beginning of the game and don't go away. They don't seem to be doing anything at first glance, but they can and do affect you in many ways.

Public Order: Any rebel army in your region will slightly decrease the public order in that region. So, if you're sitting in (for example) Zaragoza wondering why the public order is in yellow when you have a Governor and all your upkeep slots filled with militia, this may be the reason. Other reasons include foreign spies in your city or a bad Governor. Basically, this is one reason why you want to drive out this rebel army. Keep in mind that city public order is more affected than that of castles.

Experience: How would one drive this rebel army out? By battling them, of course. Rebel armies provide an easy way to earn battle experience, albeit a very small amount. Depending on your battle style, one can completely destroy a rebel army, or just let it rout away. Hopefully, if they rout, they will go to another territory, preferably one not of your faction, but no guarantees. Any units that you capture are instantly executed as you can't really ransom them away to anyone. Keep in mind that the majority of rebel field battles will be fought at the beginning to middle stages of the game, when they are some rebel field armies still around. Notable exceptions are when you have destroyed another faction and that faction's remaining armies turn rebel. Two things can result from battling rebel armies. One, your generals will gain valuable battle experience, or two, if you fight enough battles, your captain will be promoted to a general, and you will have gained a new unit of General's Bodyguard, which is always helpful.

Devastation: If a rebel army is on your territory for too long, they will start to cause devastation. Devastation can actually be seen on the map, any army standing too long in one spot will cause it. Devastation in an enemy faction's territory is beneficial, as their food production and population growth will take a slight downturn. If the same devastation occurs in your territories, the same negative effects will result as well. Hence, another reason to remove these pests from your lands.

Rebel Settlements:

Overview: At the be
    ginning of the game, many settlements surround your faction's cities and castles. The majority of these (in the beginning) will be rebel settlements. They look ripe for the picking, but all may not be as it seems.

Expansion: This is probably the most important aspect of the whole game: expansion. Total War simply would not be Total War without it. Besides, not matter what campaign you play, victory conditions include having either 15 regions or 45 regions, including certain settlements that you don't start with. How does one get to 15 regions or 45 regions? Through expansion, and the expanding you will do at the beginning of the game will be through rebel settlements.
    Sounds simple, doesn't it. Take a rebel settlement, upgrade its buildings, create more troops, take more settlements, and sooner or later you will have won the game. At a fundamental standpoint, that is the game. There is so much more complexity to it, of course, but big things start small. (There was a lot of rambling in that, but I'll try to keep it more concise from now on.)
    To win, you need territories, and to get territories, you need to fight the garrison within these. The majority of rebel settlements will have a small garrison, but exceptions include Valencia, Bruges, Antwerp, etc. Valencia even has its own general, El Cid the Chivalrous. But aside from these exceptions, most rebel settlements will have maybe three, four, five, maybe six units as a garrison. With five to six units of your own, these rebel settlements should be a piece of cake. (If you have trouble taking rebel settlements, consult the Scriptorium.)
    Once you have conquered a rebel settlement, you will have the option to occupy, sack, or exterminate. Depending on what region you have just conquered, and what kind of player you are, you will choose on of these three settlements. Occupy if there is no bonus from sacking, and if you want to increase your general/king's chivalry. Sack if the monetary bonus is worth it; I'm talking a prize of 20,000 to 30,000 florins minimum. Exterminate if you have conquered a region of a different religion without converting its peoples first. Spain and Portugal have this problem many times.
    However, once you have selected your option, you will be one step closer to victory, not to mention you will be richer, have the chance to create more units, etc. The more the merrier when it comes to settlements.

Papal Favor: Papal Favor is crucial to the game; having low favor will eventually get you excommunicated, which is basically an invitation for other catholic factions to attack you. If you are playing as a Muslim or Orthodox faction, this does not apply to you. Basically, expanding through rebel settlements will not incur the wrath of the Pope. The Pope does not give a damn if you take rebel settlements, so do it. Take rebel settlements, they're as fundamental to the game as war itself.

Conclusion: Basically, rebels are more important to the game than you may think. They provide experience, they cause negative effects, and they're the perfect way to expand (in the beginning). If you want to win the game, attack rebels. It's as simple as that.

(P.S. I left out some things, and this turned out to be much longer than I had originally anticipated. This is my first guide, however, and I hope you like it.)

Finally, A Signature!!!

Check out my AAR in progress: The Upsurge of Milan

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: A Mini-Guide: On Rebel Armies and Settlements

Quote Originally Posted by Portuguese Man-Of-War View Post
    Keep in mind that the majority of rebel field battles will be fought at the beginning to middle stages of the game, when they are some rebel field armies still around. Notable exceptions are when you have destroyed another faction and that faction's remaining armies turn rebel. Two things can result from battling rebel armies. One, your generals will gain valuable battle experience, or two, if you fight enough battles, your captain will be promoted to a general, and you will have gained a new unit of General's Bodyguard, which is always helpful.

Devastation: If a rebel army is on your territory for too long, they will start to cause devastation. Devastation can actually be seen on the map, any army standing too long in one spot will cause it. Devastation in an enemy faction's territory is beneficial, as their food production and population growth will take a slight downturn. If the same devastation occurs in your territories, the same negative effects will result as well. Hence, another reason to remove these pests from your lands.

First off, nice little guide with some very insightful hints. +rep

However, rebel armies actually spawn throughout the game unless modded out, so there are actually less of these annoyances early in the game (there's ~10 turns at the start when no rebels spawn). So the number of rebel field battles is reasonably constant throughout the game.

And adding to the devastation section, When you build lookout towers in your territory to expand your LOS, putting three in close proximity will attract nearby rebels and keep them moving so the amount of devastation is either very low or non-existent. This can be ver useful in large provinces such as the ones in russia where you can't reach the rebels quickly enough to stop them causing lots of devastion.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

rebel armies are a good way to train spies and especially assassins!!
    fighting off the spawning rebels armies with a general/fm should also earn them loyalty bonuses.
    these rebel armies will increase corruption too, along with the devastation, that will decrease the amount of florins the settlement earns!

Thanks guys, +Rep to both for the extra info
    Finally, A Signature!!!

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

yeah they are a great way to train assassins, thats true.

what annoys me most about the rebels is that they often have units that are not available for another 100 years, like chivalric knights. Or that they pop up despite the 180% public order.

is it somewhere programmed what makes them pop up?

Senator

The absolute best thing about rebel armies is you can use them to spawn generals using the "Man of the Hour" event. This is particularly useful in a blitz when you need generals to lead armies on crusade/jihad.
    [M2TW AAR] The Spirit of the Blitz (16 turn long campaign victory with Sicily)
    [RETROFIT AAR] World War 0 (All factions hotseat)

Fireright's Avatar Campidoctor

Interesting guide worthy of rep. Might be an idea to include something in a spoiler tag about how to reduce rebel and pirates spawn rates for those who do/dont want to know how to eradicate the rascals from campaigns.

for existenz and fireright look in the spoiler

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

if you look in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial campaign/descr_strat txt
    open it with notepad or notepad ++
    then find this code:

brigand_spawn_value 20
    pirate_spawn_value 100

this is what controls the spawns, the higher the numbers, the less they will spawn

brigand_spawn_value 9999
    pirate_spawn_value 9999

they shouldn't spawn at all like this for example!!

also further down, nearer to the bottom of the page there will be this code:

faction slave, fortified stalin
    ai_label slave_faction
    denari 1000
    denari_kings_purse 10000

they get money like normal factions!!
    i dont think reducing these will reduce what rebel armies spawn, but if you increase it then apparantly the rebel factions will start behaving like a normal faction and build thier settlements up!!

faction slave, fortified stalin
    ai_label slave_faction
    denari 1000000
    denari_kings_purse 10000000

so there you go a little guide for the descr_strat.txt rebel sections too!!

Nice little spoiler for those who dont want to know whats what +rep.

There dosen't appear to be any way of actually stopping them spawning in-game though, which is annoying.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    There dosen't appear to be any way of actually stopping them spawning in-game though, which is annoying.

it should be possible with a high enough number

or you could try commenting them out, i've never seen this approach to it tho

No I meant by having a high public order, without any actual modding.

I actually don't think maintaining a high public order actually does anything to deter rebel armies from spawning. I haven't checked to see if there are any scripts about this, other than what danny wrote, but from my (somewhat small amount of ) experiences, public order does nothing about rebels. Besides, why would you want to deter rebel armies anyways?
    Just read the guide; you need rebels to win(not just rebel settlements). I don't think I wrote this, but if you're running low on generals, or on good generals, just kill a whole bunch of rebel armies, and your captain will become a somewhat fresh general who you can then make into an excellent commander. (I wrote about the Man of the Hour event, without actually using those words.) You can never not benefit from having more generals; it's a powerful heavy cavalry unit, capable of packing a punch. (Not to mention it heals itself)
    Finally, A Signature!!!

great find in the spoiler, does it work in running campaigns? cause i just had to fight against a men at arms on turn 4....

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

You can make the rebels behave like a normal faction like dannyxx30 said, but here if you look at the original code:
    faction slave, balanced smith
    ai_label slave_faction
    denari 1000
    denari_kings_purse 10000

and change it to this:

faction slave, balanced smith
    ai_label default
    denari 99999
    denari_kings_purse 99999

that way they will actually attack you and they will also build up their settlements

Quote Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
    great find in the spoiler, does it work in running campaigns? cause i just had to fight against a men at arms on turn 4....
    its not save game compatible im afraid!

in my opinion its linked to high taxes, high squalor and how corrupt your governor is! lowering these is the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyxx30 View Post
    its not save game compatible im afraid!
    ok thanks anyway

it could be a coincedence;

but has anyone else noticed that, the more/quicker you're expanding your borders, the less rebels show up?

Probably because rebel spawn rates are a divisor, not a multiplier. So say 20 regions divided by 5 spawn rate = 4 whereas 10 divided by 5 only knocks out 2
    More regions under your control should mean less regions for rebels to spawn.

Or something like that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast