Thread: Zemgaļi

Default Zemgaļi

I'm trying to find some info on this tribe and specifically their language. (13th cent.) What I need is just some names for units of these tribes. Something like:

Archers
    Veteran archers
    Spearmen
    Axemen
    Swordsmen
    Javelinmen/Skirmishers
    Horsemen
    Nobles
    The faction leader (?)
    The faction heir (?)
    General/Warchief (?)

There's been a similar thread for Kurši, which has already been useful to me, thank you MADTAO and Kovas.

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Zemgaļi

The Zemgaļi/Semigallians spoke a language similar to Latvian, and, to a lesser extent, Lithuanian. Finding such specific unit names will be difficult, though. I'll see what I can find.

EDIT: Yeap, finding such specific names is pretty much impossible.

Faction leader: Ķoniņš, ķēninš, kungis, virsaitis.
    General: Karavadonis
    Heir: Mantinieks, mantinīks

^the best I could do for now. I have to examine Semigallian closer.

P.S. The Semigallians were a state as well as a tribe, but not a tribal state. They were pretty organized.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; July 26, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

Thank you. That does sound pretty similar to Latvian, some of them are the exact versions of how it is spelled in modern Latvian.

Quote Originally Posted by Neige Noire View Post
    Thank you. That does sound pretty similar to Latvian, some of them are the exact versions of how it is spelled in modern Latvian.
    Some, yes. But most don't. As I said, that was all I could find in my sources (in Latvian and in German). But ancient Semigallian was pretty similar to the middle dialect of Latvian.

BTW, you could use Piliskunģis, Labietis for the general as well, assuming they're noble.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; July 26, 2011 at 03:48 PM.

Actually most of them do. Ķēniņš, virsaitis, karavadonis and mantinieks are still used and have the same or almost the same meaning. And mantinīks is pretty much how mantinieks sounds in today's Latgalian. A language which is still very much alive and of which I have good command. I'm Latvian, by the way.

Ko? Baļā, kapēc uzreiz neteici? o.0

Are you working on a new mod including all of the tribes in Latvia, like Curonians, Semigallians etc?

Ja vajag palīdzību esmu iekšā

Es varu palīdzēt tikai ar spēlēšanu un varbūt kādu padomu par vēsturi

Ja ir nepieciešams, varu palīdzēt ar vēsturi un iespējams arī ar dažādiem apzīmējumiem saistībā ar vienību (armijas vienību) nosaukumiem. Iespējams varēšu arī kaut ko sameklēt izmantojot kontaktus ar muzeja darbiniekiem (arheologiem, u.c.)

Ja ir nepieciešams, varu palīdzēt ar vēsturi un iespējams arī ar dažādiem apzīmējumiem saistībā ar vienību (armijas vienību) nosaukumiem. Iespējams varēšu arī kaut ko sameklēt izmantojot kontaktus ar muzeja darbiniekiem (arheologiem, u.c.)

Iesaku šeit apspriest lietas angliski, lai arī citi saprot ;P

Lets talk in english, so everyone can understand

Quote Originally Posted by Daawds_Be View Post
    Are you working on a new mod including all of the tribes in Latvia, like Curonians, Semigallians etc?
    Not sure if my answer will still be relevant (sorry for not visiting this thread for so long), but the answer to the above question is no. Once I realized how difficult and mainly - time consuming modding this game is, I gave up on the idea. I still plan to update my old submod though. Don't know how soo, but hopefully within a month or so, if my thesis doesn't get in the way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovragor View Post
    Paldies, ja nu tomēr saņemšos, došu ziņu.