Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ager Romanus - Large Map Submod for Darthmod 8.1(Released 09Feb)

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Ager Romanus - Large Map Submod for Darthmod 8.1(Released 09Feb)

Ager Romanus Large Map

Concept

This is a continuation of my Ager Romanus submod for Darthmod and is either designed to be used with the RTW 1.5 or BI 1.6 exe. This actually comes with an installer so there is no messy and time consuming copy and pasting of files. This is by no means a complete overhaul of Darthmod, and certainly does not try to contend with some of the brilliant mods out there. This is designed purely to offer Darthmod players with an updated larger map with newer textures and added gameplay enhancements. As I have not played any other Roman mod in years, the ideas and implementation are most likely already in use in other mods. It has taken the best part of 18 months to release this after having shelved it many times, but it is now time to release this as untested beta release to those interested. Please ensure that you have your mod backed up before installing this.

Disclaimer

Since this has been so long a project in the making my record keeping has been sporadically efficient and as such I may not mention all the mods I have joined together. If I do forget anyone please mention it and I will give credit and acknowledgement. Therefore, I apologise in advance if I forget to give credit where its due.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Bardo - Tutorial for battle light conditions
    Riczu74 - Strat map skins
    KLA - Skins and Models
    Davvy Jones - Skins and models
    Promethus - Grass Mod
    ? - Roman Fort mod
    davide.cool - Better Water Mod & Watchtower Mod
    Charge - Winter textures
    The Bruce - Strat Water textures
    Skins by Snake IV for Roman Generals and Captains for strat map
    Vercingetorix_the_11 - roman skins and models (not implemented yet)

Please remember this is a beta public release to find the bugs and help with deployment of patches if required. Please be kind and fair with your bugs when you find them as this mod is untested.

Gameplay Enhancements in Summary

196 Regions to Conquer
    Map Size = 495 x 303 (Original 256 x 156)
    13 Roman Legions
    22 Mercenary Units
    New Models & New Skins
    New buildings & Roman Recruitment
    Includes other modders mini mods
    Altered Daytypes
    Altered climates
    Altered fog and light modifiers
    Altered vegetation settings
    Added Grassmod
    Added Better Water mod
    Changed the strategy map climates, forests etc.
    Barbarian Interface added.
    Added officers to all Roman units
    Expanded Senate Offices
    Altered senate Missions
    Addded Recruitable Generals
    Added rebel spies and diplomats.
    Made diplomats able to bribe admirals

New Regions

Well with 196 Regions I'm not going to list them all here but all areas on the map have been divided up with the exception of Arabia and modern Russia. Gaul, Germania, Dacia, Pannonia and Illyria will become vast power blocks of regions held by barbarian tribes as most new regions have been added without garrisons to enable an easier expansion for the non Roman factions.

Whereas Britannia and Latinum have large rebel forces to deal with to slow the expansion of these factions, to give other factions a chance to expand and consolidate. It is important to understand that with many new regions, the gameplay will be different and slower than before as the AI picks off and develops these undefeded colonies. However, once this has been done, the powerblocks formed should in theory be vast empires.

Gameplay Differences

The modification is dominated by changes to the Roman gameplay and therefore more has been done to change this. The Italian peninsula or Latinum starts with 14 regions and of these 14, 13 have been designed to recruit individual legions.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Latium - Legio I
    Campania - Legio II
    Apulia - Legio III
    Bruttium - Legio IV (Croton)
    Etruria - Legio V
    Umbria - Legio VI
    Picenum - Legio VII
    Aemelia - Legio VIII
    Liguria - Legio IX
    Venetia - Legio X
    Cisalpine_Gaul - Legio XI
    Lucania - Legio XII
    Bruttium - - Legio III (Rhegium)

However due to a lack of space on the EDB only one of these Legions (Legioi of Latium) will call missiles, infantry, and horse by Legio. The other 12 Legions will only have their infantry called Legions. Each of the legion barracks is called by the Legion name and each individual unit recruited will be called by their legio name such Legio I Hastati or Legio I Principes and the building recruited from will be called the Legio I Latium Barracks. Each of the legions is controlled by a hidden_resource to recruit the specific legion.

Although the naming convention and the placement of historical Legions later in the Republican period is far different, this I felt was better to use for the Early Republican period.

The game starts with each of the Roman factions controlling only one region (Julii - Etruria, Brutii - Apulia & Scipii - Campania) and once your legions set forth to conquer, they will need to first colonise a new region via a building, then in Latinum they will need to first acquire Latin Rights and Citizenship before being able to recruit Roman units. In the meantime they will need to rely on reinforcements from other citizen regions like Etruria if you play as the Julii. Both Latin Rights and Citizenship are not easy to get and cost a bit of money, so you may need to concentrate on trade alliances and begging the Senate for money....or worse succeeding on a mission.

Once your legions depart the Italian Peninsula and the Republic begins to expand, you must start this process of Colonisation & and a new building called Provincial Citizenship must be built before being able to recruit Roman soldiers. However, since the Republic is expanding into new lands, you will be able to recruit local levies by building a levy field controlled by a new hidden_resource called roman, and also auxillary barracks to train auxillary units in the Roman way until the province gets its Provincial Citizenship. Levy recruiting is capped at a few units, usually a mix of infantry, missile and horse determined by the faction creator; so in Gaul you can recruit (warband sword gaul, barb cavalry gaul & barb noble cavalry gaul). You can also recruit auxilia infantry as well.

If you are using the BI.exe your new units recruited will all be tagged by the legio legionary_name where they are recruited such as I Sardinia (Caralis) or I Sardinia (Olbia) or I Britannia (Londinium). But there is a catch with your expansion and that is the ends of the historical Empire. To make it harder, I have not allowed levy, auxillary or Roman recruiting in the frontier lands. If you want to conquer and hold these lands, then you must use your supply routes and tranfer men in or recruit whatever mercenaries abound.

Senate Missions

I have tinkered with these to see if they work better and added rewards and penalties based on difficuly levels. Please advise if this works or you are issued missions you wouldn't normally see.

Mercenary Units (26 new units)

Including - (11 New models and skins by KLA and DavvyJones + 15 converted faction units)

Viking
    roman veteran
    roman extraordinari
    italian hoplite
    celtic warrior
    severan phalangite
    iberian scutarii
    bactrian hoplite
    chatti macemen
    germanic swordsmen
    thracian warrior

New Buildings

Colonisation - for all new regions
    Latin Rights - only in latinum
    Citizenship - only in latinum
    Provincial Citizenship - all historical regions to the limits of the historical Roman Empire
    Levy Field - requires colonisation
    Auxillary Barracks - requires colonisation outside latinum
    Prefecture - Recruits Praetorian units in latinum and after the marian reforms
    Coinage Mint - only in latinum and requires citizenship
    Slave Trader - requires resource slaves (all regions have them)

Vegetation, Grass, light and daytypes for battles

I have altered these to hopefully update the battlefields in all the climates. I have heard people talk about how good RSII vegetation is but I have not seen it, but hopefully one day will. The vegetation chnages I made relate to size and width of trees and shrubs etc, whilst adding Promethus's Grass mod as well. I'm lucky my computer allows me to render grass at 1000m which makes things look better.

I have also altered the light conditions and daytpes which hopefully add a bit more variety to the battle maps.

Strategy Map

I have altered everything here and I think the strategy map looks far better than the original game. You'll notice I have removed most huge swathes of dense trees and replaced them by sparse forests which opens up the map so much more. I have confined dense trees to mountain valleys and tops as you will see. In line with the cimate at the time, I have extended snow into the Mediteraenean in winter on its higher peaks and some lower areas. I have also tried to put forests crossing the rivers as too many times on battlemaps we have huge rivers with no vegetation near them. You'll notice that I have varied groundtypes between climates quite regularly to give the different climatic regions more of a difference.

Why is that so?

Question 1. Why have you not extended the map to the far East?

As the Roman Empire at its full extent did not, this theatre was not included in the mod.

Question 2. Why have you not extended the map to the North to include Scotland?

This may be added later.

Conclusion

I set out to improve upon this fabulous mod while trying to remain true to the original game, hence I have kept the 3 factions as Darth intended.
    From memory that sounds like all the major changes and additions that I have made. There are lots of little changes like recruitable generals, adding officers to the roman units, 1 extra artillery piece to every siege weapon, reduced upkeep of generals, diplomats, spies and assassins, changed the strat map colours of several factions to be more vibrant.

There were also things I wanted to add and do such as a new interface for Romans and add hordes for some factions, plus add a background script, and a new loading screen for the mod. So if anyone feels they would like to contribute further, please let me know. In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the mod.

Installation Instructions:

The instructions come with the installer however I can go into greater detail here. As with any mod it is always better to have a clean install of the RTW and Darthmod before installing this. That is how I always check the validity of any installer I create to ensure nothing is added or left behind.

However, and this mod can be installed over your current Ager Romanus files as that is how it was created. Therefore, simply unzip the installer to your Darthmod directory or your RTW directory as below:

E:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War

All links in the OP are dead. Go here to download the mod.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Patch 1a - Download zip below.

This patch rebuilds the vegetation files and removes the realistic rocky layout on some maps which doesn't allow proper pathfinding for troops. Copy and paste these two files into your data folder at C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data folder or wherever Darthmod is installed.

Strategy Map Display problem

If when you copy and paste these files and start the game and the strategy map is under water; there are two things that will fix this:

1. Quit out of the game and go back to desktop and restart the game.
    2. You will need to delete your map.rwm in the in the campaign folder
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\Ager_Romanus_Largemap

You then can continue with your saved game.

============================================================================
    Patch 2 - Download zip below.

This very small patch fixes the Extraordinari Romanum unit which went into battle withiut its primary weapon. Copy and paste these two files into your data folder at C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data folder or wherever Darthmod is installed.

This patch will not affect your saved game, except to enhance it. It can be located in the title thread.

=============================================================================

Patch 3 - Download zip below.

1. Fixed exploit where Roman Generals could be recruited in a newly conquered town if an Academy existed.
    2. Fixed exploit where Roman aux slinger could be recruited in a newly conquered town if a practice field existed.
    3. Fixed building of auxillaries without having to build colonisation.
    4. Added not recruitable after marian reforms to Gallic Levy Field.
    5. Removed Roman Exraordinari from Aux barracks, they are Latin Allies.
    6. Changed win conditions for Roman factions to CA original ones (to test).
    7. Added more slaves resources to descr_strat
    8. Changed fines for the Senate missions to 75, 50 and 25 percent of annual income.
    9. Reduced Julii starting income back to 5000.
    10. Increased upkeep cost of Generals to 100.
    11. Reduced Major Reward back to 10000.
    12. Added new campaign called enhanced and focuses only on the 4 roman Factions - not completely done yet.
    13. Senate now starts campaign with 3 full armies.
    14. Increased Senate budget to 500000.
    15. Added missing LEGIOI unit cards.
    16. Increased movement points from 80 - 140 to help pathfinding.
    17. Enabled the building of missiles and cavalry buildings in the citizen provinces...woops.
    18. Enabled the colonisation building of hidden resource on colonisation from frontier to never....woops.
    19. Added port to Genua, Venetai and Aequilia.
    20. Gave britons back 1500 denari and added some extra troops, they were too weak.
    21. Removed one river from Venetia
    22. Fixed Tiber River pathfinding and region.
    23. Fixed rivers in Bruttium.
    24. Gave Massila roman_hidden_resource to recruit roman units.
    25. Added many megionary_names to EDU to appear.
    26. Altered climates and variability again, I'm closer to what I want.
    27. Fixed many wrong roman, frontier and never hidden resources.
    28. Increased brutii and scipii starting money to 3000.
    29. Increased rebel garrisons in latinum.
    30. Increased Gallic garrisons in latinum.

To install simply copy and paste to the relevant folders.

The campaign folder has a blank map.rwm as you need to fix up a few of the map files. Some of these I believe will only show when a new campaign has started (such as the ports in Liguria, Venetia and Aequilia). I strongly suggest backing up the files (especially your current map.rwm) you are copying over, however this is not necessary as it works on my installation.

Patch 4 News

This patch contains only fivefiles. To get the changes in the descr_regions (hidden resources to work), you'll need to delete the map.rwm in the folder:
    C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\Ager_Romanus_Largemap

1. Fixed ctd on EDB file that related to recruitment of cavalry and missile owing to citizenship.
    2. Adds missing hidden resources in Placentia and Aquilia to recruit units.
    3. Adds more historical resources to Britain so now they have copper, lead, gold and tin in better quantities and changes a few costs for the resources such as increasing natural resources.
    4. Adds missing Legion building descriptions for Legion Barracks and Urban Barracks. These now show the correct legion such as Legio IV Etruria.

And can be downloaded in the title post as usual.
    ===============================================================================
    ===============================================================================
    Last edited by Leonardo; May 04, 2019 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Mirror link added.

Default Re: Ager Romanus - Large Map Mod

I liked your first submod, good work on that, I was wondering if this one would keep up the same quality (smooth edges or coasts, detailed map or not boring flat land of nothingness for miles).

Patrician

Thanks Chosen Man Lt. Richard Sharpe. I'm afraid that smooth coastlines and edges are far beyond my timeframe available. I have noticed while testing there are several triangles both land and sea that appear due to the increase in map size (but these do not seem to be frequent in number. There was a problem with the original map features file I made not correctly lining up with the new map regions, and hence some rivers had little bits of land sticking into the ocean. I believe I've adjusted all of them though.

I will although adjust heights if I can (thanks for the reminder).

This looks interesting, are there 4 Roman factions, or just one?

Looks good

Ager Romanus was the good surprize since TE. I finally played a cool Rome addon. I hope you'll keep the 4 romans family and maybe you'll change some skins (carthage, scyths, etc). Cheers mate

Patrician

Yes the 4 Roman factions will be kept as I like this idea. Yes new skins and new models, but the entire scope of a full mod change is beyond my spare time. The Large Map with all it's gameplay changes is significantly different than Ager Romanus.

However in my Conquest of Britannia mod, there can be only one Roman faction, plus I had to add 4 barbarian factions (Caledonians, Brigantes, Hibernians and Britons) to stabilise the map.
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; August 02, 2011 at 10:20 AM.

Release Date of he Map?

Please make a larger map all the way to Indian and Parthian regions, like in EB or Roma Surrectum.

With this map, this mod will be perfect. I love the fact that rome is still split into 3 factions and a senate in this mod. It makes it all the more interesting to play. I really don't like playing other mods because they all have a unified ROME.

Patrician

Guys, my large map was shelved back in August due to a ctd which I couldn't fix or find, I still have all the files and will return to it again soon. I just have too many other distractions at the moment.

When I get around to this, it will continue having the 4 roman factions still, as I prefer having the ability of creating civil wars between competing roman factions.

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

ill keep an eye on this mod

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Very happy to hear the mod is still going. Look forward to its release.

Patrician

The good news is this mod is back on track as I have discovered and corrected the ctd error in my map files. I'm in the process of re-adding ports, before checking my other game files.

When I've finished I'll update the initial post with the full list of inclusions.
    Last edited by The Border Reiver; January 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Patrician

Thanks ahowl11. I've come across some ground types and, heights and ports (is very slow going and very tedious) that need to be fixed as well, so it's a little slow progress until next week. But all is well and working thakfully, and I'll at last be able to play my mod of DarthMod.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

nice map you have there
    can't wait to try it out

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    nice map you have there
    can't wait to try it out
    It won't be long now. I've been modifying vegetation, daytypes, climates, fog and light control and adding Promethus grassmod as well to make battles a little bit different in appearance.

Patrician

I hope to release this on Wednesday 08Feb as an open Beta Test.

sweet, will be here on the 8th to test it then.
    The new map will make this mod epic!

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast