Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis III

Default Europa Universalis III

Europa Universalis III
    PC/MAC

Europa Universalis III or EU3 as i will call it from now. Is the Sequel to PAradox Interactive's grand strategy games Eu1 and Eu2. In my opinion Eu3 is the most liked of all of the Paradox Interactive games as it has 4 Expansions, alteast one was vote forth by the forum and atlest one was Demanded by the fans on the Paradox Interactive Forum. (No marketing, jsut saying).

Graphics
    Yes Graphics, one of the most important components of a game. In the beginning Eu3 graphic wasnt much to cheer on and did only improove on the third Expansion Heir to the throne (HTTT) where it became simillar to 3D if it wasnt before, it looked smoother and more fluffy to me. Now if you people know how Victoria 2 looks like, another one of their titels. The Fourth expansion Divine Wind is brining a more realistic world type map into the picture, removing the fluffy graphics from HTTT. As of now, the map of Eu3 is based on the real world map, Excluding the poles (north and south). this map is absed on Provinces which is representing a city and various buildings etc. Realistic Graphics really give it an edge. But the con is the provinces or regions are little missplaced or wrongly named.

Gameplay
    The Plot to Eu3 is simply that you take a nation, ANY nation during the years 1399-1820 that excist in game, you choose a year,a month and a day and then you begin your journey to do whatever you want with your country upp till 1820 from 1399, roughly 421 years. You can do as much as you want to. This is a typical Paradox Interactive Grand-strategy Sandbox styled gameplay where the player is free to do most things, the game roughly focus most on Warfare/colonization and exploration and technology. And a little less on Diplomacy and economy though they are a big part of the game. all five elements must be held together for a nation to work, this is one of the few wonders of PI games.

AI
    The AI is the base around every game, without it you dont have any opponents unless you go online and a good AI is very preferrable and the AI of Eu3 can live up to some expetation and can actully take down a player, if it is the right country that is.

My Thoughts on the game of Eu3
    Europa Universalis 3 is a good game but its no poerfect and can still become better, both historically aobut the nations and more improovement everywhere in the game. Four expansions has been made and released and i can say the game is very enjoyable, i dont mind have a fifth and sixth expansion, neither do most of the fans of the game either i believe. One of the downsides with the game is the AI which somethimes can be very stupid and very annoying (almost like RTW's diplomacy which always is annoying to me). If people look for a game where they cna do what they want and seek to take over the world, this really is a great game, i cna recommend it to everyone who plays strategy games as it is both educationally (yes i have learned from it...almsto embarrassed about it) and very fun. I have certanly ejoyed more than 1000hr on that game which still even though its flaws is a great game and fully playable and well worth the money. Now i can only estimate what i costs as i dont have every international money value in my head but i think the game in total with expansions is around 40 euros, which for me is a very good price for the money!

Final Verdict

7.5/10
    Last edited by Nebulon; August 16, 2011 at 01:05 PM.

medievaldude's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Europa Universalis III

EU3= 2007
    Paradox interactive games= not good graphics but hours of fun!
    AI= put on hard!

What you mean by perfect have you played crusader kings, EU 1, Hearts of iron, or any other? THis kind of strategy is different and pretty great and nothing can be perfect.

Other than that Good Review!

Ductus Exemplo
    Fas est et ab hoste doceri !
    He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious.
    Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley.

I never mentioned that it is perfect, i said it wasnt perfect adn even if you play on hard the AI can still do stupid things...

Coal143's Avatar Miles
    The Royal Kingdom of Occitania-Aragon-Sicily

You spelled "graphics" wrong.
    Other then that this was a pretty solid review but i must state that the ability to completely alter the "history" is what i love most. There's also Magna Mundi

Quote Originally Posted by Coal143 View Post
    You spelled "graphics" wrong.
    Other then that this was a pretty solid review but i must state that the ability to completely alter the "history" is what i love most. There's also Magna Mundi
    Magna Mundi is but a mod and thus not part of the Original EU3 series, but its going out as a game soon and thus does not belong in this review, in the matter of Graphics is because english is not m first Language

Indefinitely Banned

I hope one day that CA and paradox interactive pare up for the next TW

I hope Paradox never speaks to CA/Sega/Activision. Why let them ruin a second franchise?

Jeb is right, it would ruin Paradoxian games.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    I hope Paradox never speaks to CA/Sega/Activision. Why let them ruin a second franchise?
    Exactly!

CA, stay the away from good games from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    They have communicated in the past, I can remember after Empire was released there was a thread on the Paradox forums that criticised the poor AI designed by CA, and Johan of Paradox posted saying; "Sorry, I don't have time to talk about our AI atm, but I was not aware of there being an AI in Empire Total War."

This was quickly responded to by Keiran; "Hi there Johan. This is Kieran from the Creative Assembly, the chaps behind Empire. Forgive me if I cut to the chase, It's not particularly sporting (Or accurate) to suggest Empire 'has no AI'. I appreciate I may have misread your remark, but I note several other readers have taken it the same way and in two subsequent posts you havn't bothered to correct them, so I can only assume it was your intention to take a swipe at Empire.

If I'm wrong, please do let me know. Otherwise meet me on Hang Man's Hill at midday, the weapon is swords.

Yours,
    Kiera"

So no love lost between the two Confederate Jeb!
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Declaration of Arbroath, 1320AD

Coal143's Avatar Miles
    The Royal Kingdom of Occitania-Aragon-Sicily

Quote Originally Posted by calicheSCOT View Post
    They have communicated in the past, I can remember after Empire was released there was a thread on the Paradox forums that criticised the poor AI designed by CA, and Johan of Paradox posted saying; "Sorry, I don't have time to talk about our AI atm, but I was not aware of there being an AI in Empire Total War."

This was quickly responded to by Keiran; "Hi there Johan. This is Kieran from the Creative Assembly, the chaps behind Empire. Forgive me if I cut to the chase, It's not particularly sporting (Or accurate) to suggest Empire 'has no AI'. I appreciate I may have misread your remark, but I note several other readers have taken it the same way and in two subsequent posts you havn't bothered to correct them, so I can only assume it was your intention to take a swipe at Empire.

If I'm wrong, please do let me know. Otherwise meet me on Hang Man's Hill at midday, the weapon is swords.

Yours,
    Kiera"

So no love lost between the two Confederate Jeb!
    Catfight!

(almost like RTW's diplomacy which always is annoying to me)
    Ok this killed the game for me .

Quote Originally Posted by calicheSCOT View Post

Yours,
    Kiera"
    Oh boo ing hoo, don't whine if someone makes fun of your work. Improve it.

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by J.Philp View Post
    Oh boo ing hoo, don't whine if someone makes fun of your work. Improve it.
    Yea, I think they have to put up with way more persistent criticism on TWC itself

Poach's Avatar Civitate

I lost faith in this review when he stated graphics to be "one of the most important components of the game".

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    I lost faith in this review when he stated graphics to be "one of the most important components of the game".
    This.

A paradox games have never and never will be about the graphics.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

2Shy's Avatar Campidoctor

EU3 is one of my most favourite games along with CK and KoH.
    I just like that kind of games (strategies) because they have unique ideas and I dont care about graphic. Almost all new gamesare all graphic but there is not idea !
    Last edited by 2Shy; August 12, 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Sir Pignans's Avatar The bringer of cheese.

I like EU3. It's fun, interesting, and is a challenge when your as bad as me at the game.
    90% of teens would die today if facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

My Political Profile.

Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

I love the awesome amount of variety in the gameplay. So many unique factions to choose from, from so many hundreds of years.

Will you form a pan Turkic empire, unite Germany, or form the British Empire? How bout rebuild the Mongol Empire? So much fun to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    That should be of A game, any game, in my point of view.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast