Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Guide on the Descr_Projectile.txt

Titus le Chmakus's Avatar Biarchus
    Skiing on the Spine of the World or hunting in Lurkwood

Default Re: A Guide on the Descr_Projectile.txt

Hi

Anyone knows the difference between radius and area ? Thanks

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

radius - can be looked at as the size of the projectile head
    area - if the projectile has an effect then this will be the size of that effect

Educated guess, not supported by actual experience.

Thanks again Gig !

I got a quick question about Velocity, some projectiles have stated velocity like - 22 44 -and i was wondering how that works, and whats the difference compared to having just one value.
    does 22 44 mean a group of archers might fire their arrows with a velocity of 22 to 44 and all the speeds inbetween, resulting in a unit of archers have a more *random* volley of arrows being fired, at all different velocity. Or does it mean that they can fire at 22 Vel. or 44 Vel?

im very confused, as i cant really figure it out by testing, i just see them fire the same. only difference is, if Vel. is too small then they cant fire the arrows if they are out side the max range. *reports are formed in the log.*

Edit: Also the min/max angle i dont quite understand. What does it really change?

- Im trying to make my archers arch their shots abit more, rather than a flat line. aswell with Javelins, However im running into the problem they wont fire, do i change some of these values. Most likely cause i change them too much, or im doing it wrong. - All coming from too little knowlagde about this file.
    Last edited by Dilion; March 27, 2018 at 09:35 AM.

Blog Entries

min\max angle - applies to elevated targeting, eg if the target is below or above that angle

I agree with your assumption about the multiple velocity values.

Well that was also my first impression of how it worked. However you would then assume changing the max angle would not change anything, as anything above 90 wouldnt do anything but allow them to shoot behind themselfs with, but if the max was set too high, then the unit would simply not fire at all, before a melee unit was right in their face. I did tests with Javelinmen, and first 5m before charge inpact did they throw their Javs. Same seemed to happen if there was too large a difference on the min/max.
    Resulting in me coming here, as it didnt make much sense, What i ended up doing was simply just putting min/max to -45/45 for maximium arch/curved shot. Which seem to work. However some testing from campaign it self now just yesterday shown, if javelinmen at too elevated then they wont fire on the enemy. I would assume said elevation would be above the 45 degree angle they are allowed to fire at. However this brings me back again to the fact they simply refuse at all to fire, are they given a too large a angle to fire in. Something i find very strange.

Blog Entries

I can only speculate that either the underlying formula (top of descr_projectile) returns an invalid result or that there are hard coded limits to the angle.

From a logic point of view you can't really exceed -75\75 angles
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 29, 2018 at 06:05 AM.

Well if the velocity is too low, compared to the range given to the unit in the EDU - then they also refuse to fire, however let me explain my case here. I have a Jav unit with range 120, angle is -75/65 and Velocity 22 44.. Throws javs just fine, however if you change the max angle to like 80, then they wont throw anymore. Its like going above a certain point they just break, and i cant figure out why or what that point is. is it the difference between max and min angle? I dunno.

However i assume for the most arched shots one would need to have the lowest allowed velocity for the range given in the EDU.
    I wondering if setting the min angle to a positive would mean they are forced to arch their shots. But i worry it would then not allow them to fire from walls. - This i will test abit.

Blog Entries

I vaguely remember that there was a rather esoteric discourse about missiles, tons of tests in it. I think it was by socrates1984. Lemme see...

Edit: here it is

Its acting odd, putting the min angle to a positive indeed makes them fire more in a arch, having velocity set to 10 - 50 allows them to arch ALOT with slow flying arrows does the enemy get close, very fitting if you want to just lob javs over the head of your units fighting in melee already. But it too at times allowed them to make mortar like attacks, maybe because the max angle was set to 80, if thats limited so they are forced to arch then it might work.

This also seems to answer my question about Velocity have 10 - 50 means they can change velocity on their shots depending on what range the enemy is at.

My god! thank you! im read through that entire thread, that was exactly what i was looking for. Rather than having to do that labourous of testing job myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dilion View Post
    Its acting odd, putting the min angle to a positive indeed makes them fire more in a arch, having velocity set to 10 - 50 allows them to arch ALOT with slow flying arrows does the enemy get close, very fitting if you want to just lob javs over the head of your units fighting in melee already. But it too at times allowed them to make mortar like attacks, maybe because the max angle was set to 80, if thats limited so they are forced to arch then it might work.

This also seems to answer my question about Velocity have 10 - 50 means they can change velocity on their shots depending on what range the enemy is at.
    Yup, the real range of the projectile is set by the EDU stat_pri 8, 0, crossbow_bolt, 160, 20, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 25, 1 modifyed by the velocity of the projectile set in the desc_projectile.

Also, there is the prefer_high attribute that you can set in the descr_projectile to increase a bit the high angle shoot preference. And yes, the velocity above 40 (that is what I found, not 50) is compulsory for arch shots. Values above that will result in direct shoot. If your units are in front, then the archers won't shoot at all.

Sorry for double posting ...

I'm back to my Wizard spells testings after quite a while and still stuck in the mysteries of that descr_projectile/EDU. I cannot find a way to use trebuchet projectiles with wizards using javelin animation. If I code the EDU so that the wizards are siege artillery, I simply cannot have the missile option in combat. It only has the melee option for attacking the ennemies (the sword action on the battlefield). I don't understand how to get the arrow (the one for ranged attacks).
    If I code them as archers, then I can't find a way to balance the power of the missile ...

Any idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus le Chmakus View Post
    Sorry for double posting ...

I'm back to my Wizard spells testings after quite a while and still stuck in the mysteries of that descr_projectile/EDU. I cannot find a way to use trebuchet projectiles with wizards using javelin animation. If I code the EDU so that the wizards are siege artillery, I simply cannot have the missile option in combat. It only has the melee option for attacking the ennemies (the sword action on the battlefield). I don't understand how to get the arrow (the one for ranged attacks).
    If I code them as archers, then I can't find a way to balance the power of the missile ...

Any idea ?
    Im not entirely sure, but have you tried to use their 2nd attack when coding them as artillery. like when you have archers you want to send into melee, you press alt? and attack, i believe if a unit is based for melee it will attack with ranged only then.

if not that then to balance them as archers instead of making them artillery, maybe you should just put the reload time very high on the fireballs? like what firearrows have.

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Many years ago I found a way how to prevent all men in the unit from firing.
    Like, half the soldiers throw their javelins while the other half does nothing.

I remember I did this by editing some parameter in descr_projectile, though now I cant remember it exactly.
    Does anyone know?
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; August 06, 2021 at 12:48 AM.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

So I trying to add nausea effect to javelin, simulating poisoned weapon. Got no result adding it as area_effect. No flashing banners.

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Blog Entries

By the looks of it the 'area effect' all seems to be secondary or tertiary projectiles, eg fiery, exploding and cow carcass.

I did try at some time to use the grape shot effect for a primary projectile (Zhuge Li unit, multiple cross bow bolts) but can't recall if the result was conclusive.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks in advance!

Came to same conclusion by discovering .xml of area effects. So I can make grapeshot with single projectile continuing same direction as parent salvo + nausea effect.
    Interesting if I could combine it with holy morale boost for friendly units?

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

Blog Entries

You can have only one area effect per projectile, and I don't think you can combine effects in the xml file.

You could test the 'secondary' theory by giving your throwers the cow carcass as primary projectile. I am fairly sure that tertiary itself only works if a 'fiery' projectile is secondary.
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 10, 2021 at 11:02 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast