Thread: Name that Battle!

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Default Re: Name that Battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Correct! After the battle of Tigranocerta, Mithradates refused to fight the Romans in a pitch battle, but Pompey surprised him, taking advantage of the moonlight. After that, Euergetes was forced to abandon Pontus once and for all, heading towards the Kingdom of Bosporus, in the Crimean Pennunsula. Well done, it wasn't a famous battle and it's possible that the image doesn't exist in the Internet, as I scanned it from a book.
    The only reason I got it was because I went through almost the entire 'battles of the roman republic' list on wikipedia one by one and read through the descriptions to find a battle that matched your hints....it was a slow day at work

Try this!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails baaattle.jpg  
    Last edited by IrishBlood; July 29, 2015 at 05:31 PM.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Dahomey Amazons against Europeans = Battle of Dogba. Kingdom of Dahomey vs the French.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

correct!

thanks

It's the siege of Ohakov in 1788. At first, I was sure that I had seen that image in a wiki article about the Russo-Turkish War of 1828-9, but I was wrong. It was an almost identical painting depicting the battle of Akhalzic:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Then, I suspected that both paintings were made by the same artist (Suchodolski) and easily found the right answer. History of Arts!

Yes, siege of Ochakov 1788 and inevitably Russian vs Turk/Ottoman. I know of this battle and several other Russian battles I was previously unaware of through researching Russian art and artists. Russian battle, or even military paintings in general, are a cut above imo.

Well spotted, your go.

Quote Originally Posted by Aymer de Valence View Post
    *sigh*

Sometimes I really hate those Medieval illustrators depicting ancient battles with contemporary armour and weaponry lol
    Makes one wonder how the Roman army characteristic elements faded away from the collective memory of medieval people.

Laetus

Battle of the Nile?

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Chesapeake?
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Chesma?
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Nope, nobody guessed right, but Aymer is closer to the truth, having found the opponents and the war.

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I will hazard a guess at The Battle of The Saintes, but I just can't seem to find that particular picture
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Quote Originally Posted by Aymer de Valence View Post
    I will hazard a guess at The Battle of The Saintes, but I just can't seem to find that particular picture
    Don't forget that the American Revolution was a true World War. Chronologically, you're close, but geographically not so much.

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Going solely off of what you last posted and what look to be French flags I'm guessing Battle of Ushant though I'm rubbish with Naval anything for the most part and that's the first one that comes to mind.

Could also be Battle of Chesapeake, there are many others but I don't think it would be proper to type up all of my guesses xD

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

^Yeah all naval battles look the same to me. Especially if I can't tell what the flags are, all I'm seeing is Britain in that pic so it really could be anything in 1700s and 1800s.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

FrostySOTF's Avatar Ice in My Veins
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ^Yeah all naval battles look the same to me.
    I feel your pain fellow book-lord.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    ^Yeah all naval battles look the same to me. Especially if I can't tell what the flags are, all I'm seeing is Britain in that pic so it really could be anything in 1700s and 1800s.
    Same here. All naval battles look the same to me. Unless there is something definite to distinguish it from others.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Regarding the naval battles of the 18th century, I found the french wikipedia to include more information and images than the english version. For example, the image I posted, which concerns a battle fought in the Indian Ocean, is featured in the respective article of the french encyclopedia.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

You said Indian Ocean and I immediately knew it was Andre de Suffren

Battle of Providien

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō