Page 434 of 437 FirstFirst ... 334384409424425426427428429430431432433434435436437 LastLast
Results 8,661 to 8,680 of 8729

Thread: Name that Battle!

Default Re: Name that Battle!

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

So let's try to break this down

WWII probably; the helmet on the front left looks very much German, possibly from special paratroopers forces, but the "jeep" in the front right doesn't seem to match with it (although I can't see that well). Worn out faces, winter war but not with so much snow (so not Russia probably), I'd go for a wild guess and say that that's about the Battle of Ardennes.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I'm afraid that is not the case.

Clue: This photo was taken at a later point than this one.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

You mean later than the Battle of Ardennes? Or after WWII?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

After WW2
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

Then it can only be Korea, now I need to identify to which battle that image refers to
    Last edited by Flinn; January 18, 2022 at 06:55 AM.

Spartan JKM's Avatar Semisalis

Yes, the helmet is that of US marines in Korea. We just need pinpoint it. Chosin Reservoir, perhaps?
    "A ship is safe in the harbor; but that's not why ships are built"

Under the patronage of the revered Obi Wan Asterix

Calvin and Osceola, may you both henceforth remain in everlasting tranquility

Yes this is from the Chosin Reservoir that made up part of the retreat of UN forces from North Korea about a month after the Chinese entered the war.
    - Sun Tzu

Oh, I kind of floated that guess, much to do with the beleaguered look on the marine’s face! Great. That was an intense image. Here is another one:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41AD0FAE-A684-4762-A7F1-9FB95E3C2139.jpeg  
    Last edited by Spartan JKM; January 18, 2022 at 07:57 PM.

Second Battle of Villers-Bretonneux.

I recognise the artist on the bottom right, Will Longstaff which helped to narrow it down quite a bit.

This picture was part of a Coloured Folding Christmas Card for the Australian Comforts Fund 1918.
    - Sun Tzu

Yep. Spot on! The part of the Australian Comforts Fund is what was written directly underneath (which I cropped, to no avail!). This action came on the heels of John Monash’s masterpiece of combined arms in a modern setting at Le Hamel, and I chose the image because of the combined-arms reflection. Philip II of Macedon would’ve been impressed!

Could someone rep realm56 for me? Thanks.
    Last edited by Spartan JKM; January 18, 2022 at 08:51 PM.

- Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

They do not look like Vietnamese or Korean soldiers, and the equipment as well seems to be older, so either it's from WWII or just after that. I'm not very familiar with what happened in Far East during that period, I think I could do use of a hint

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan JKM View Post
    Could someone rep realm56 for me? Thanks.
    Done

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Those guys look like Chinese soldiers of the KMT. While the ships in the background might be American... the evacuation of the Kuomintang???

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Those guys look like Chinese soldiers of the KMT. While the ships in the background might be American... the evacuation of the Kuomintang???
    Correct in the broadstrokes but I have a specific incident/operation in mind before we can move on.
    - Sun Tzu

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Battle of Bamianshan?
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

I am afarid that is not correct.

Clue: This operation had a very pop culture inspired code name....
    - Sun Tzu

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

If this is not the evacuation of the Kuomintang then is it the evacuation of the Japanese during Operation Beleaguer?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

You were close with that first guess, the battle i have in mind is a specific part of the Kuomintang evacuation to Taiwan
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

The battle of Hainan island?