Thread: Name that Battle!

Default Re: Name that Battle!

I guess you all need a little push? Then i'll give you a little one, this battle was part of the Mahdist War.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Oh in which case it is the destruction of the Khartoum relief column... Abu Klea I think it was? I don't remember now.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; October 20, 2021 at 03:26 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Thats right! The British won a crushing victory but failed to relive Khartoum which resulted in the Mahdi rule of Sudan for the next 13 years. I daresay that the Birtish public blamed Gladstone for the debacle, hence his resignation.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Patrician

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I will guess this is a WW1 battle in Africa by the looks of it, I cannot pinpoint exactly how but I think this is the battle of Ngomano.
    - Sun Tzu

Patrician

Yeah it is Ngomano.

Can someone please rep realm56 for me?

- Sun Tzu

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Yeah it is Ngomano.

Can someone please rep realm56 for me?
    it's done
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Battle of Dunbar. Very characteristic New Model Army helmets.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Correct! I was hoping people would pick up on that.
    - Sun Tzu

This shouldn't be too hard (i.e. it would be really bad to get this wrong )

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

The Sack of Rome (The 455 CE version by the Vandals)
    - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by realm56 View Post
    The Sack of Rome (The 455 CE version by the Vandals)
    That's the one.

I will skip this time, so its anyone's game..
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

Anyone willing to take the turn?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I would be willing to give it a go but need maybe day or so to crop and clean up an image so to make it not to easy.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Indefinitely Banned

I'm willing to post something if Conon doesn't want too.

Edit: He agreed to let me post this one so here it is.

Last edited by ELITEOFKINGWARMAN8; November 21, 2021 at 09:31 AM.

Blog Entries

Battle of Aspern?

Indefinitely Banned

Yes! Good job Flinn.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKINGWARMAN88 View Post
    Yes! Good job Flinn.
    Just a lucky shot, the flag was easy to recognize

next one

hint: this is not the battle of Anzio, but it is part of that scenario anyways