Thread: Name that Battle!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Name that Battle!

That looks like a rather poor depiction of the Battle of Kadesh.

For starters because they were never that close to the walls. If they were you would think that archers on top of the walls would play a much larger role, as well as flanking attack through the city gates.

But also because even though those are clearly meant to be Hittites they are shirtless for some reason. That and they are on foot, even though the Hittites never engaged any infantry. Unless that is meant to be the Battle of Megiddo in 1457 BC... but then why do the enemy soldiers look like Hittites? Hittite hair styles, Hittite-Hurrian style helmets, large amounts of scale armor?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Battle of Megiddo? 609 BC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    That looks like a rather poor depiction of the Battle of Kadesh.

For starters because they were never that close to the walls. If they were you would think that archers on top of the walls would play a much larger role, as well as flanking attack through the city gates.

But also because even though those are clearly meant to be Hittites they are shirtless for some reason. That and they are on foot, even though the Hittites never engaged any infantry. Unless that is meant to be the Battle of Megiddo in 1457 BC... but then why do the enemy soldiers look like Hittites? Hittite hair styles, Hittite-Hurrian style helmets, large amounts of scale armor?
    I was very mean-spirited and set a trap.
    If you look at the image, like Oda did, you'll notice the Hittite hair cuts, helmets and scale armour. The picture is drawn by a "Brian Palmer" and though it definitely isn't a good image, I wouldn't worry about the Kadesh that much in so far as the fortress of Kadesh was the reason why this battle happened, and he probably wanted to show the prize.

There's absolutely nothing in the image itself that'd indicate Megiddo (which btw. was on a hill vs. Kadesh being on flat terrain), especially not the 609 BC one, as at that point the world had already moved on and begun to implement, amongst other things, iron weaponry and generally much improved armament.

However, since 609BC-Megiddo is mentioned in the bible and there are lots of bible-nuts out there and they probably just wanted a nice picture to go along with their ramblings, they have started to use this picture a lot, even fooling google.
    So if you look at the image url or do the image search, that's the battle that comes up.

Oda, I'd rep you twice for not falling for that trap, but since this forum doesn't allow that, once shall do. Have your rep and your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

When you want be quick and don't do the needed due diligence you get this I'll give oda that second rep.

Patrician

Thanks guys!

This one shouldn't be too hard if you look at the visual cues.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; May 06, 2019 at 03:00 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Blog Entries

So I figured out why it looked so familiar. I actually saw it on a site about the Trojan War, going back in my phone's history I found out that the pic was taken from the same site as well. Now the description isn't very clear but I suppose it's the Siege of Troy.
    Last edited by General Brewster; May 06, 2019 at 02:48 PM.

Patrician

Yeah it is the Mycenaeans attacking Troy. The left side is the Mycenaeans and the right side has the Wilusans.

The best visual is the white city in the background, Ilios or Wilusa as it would have been called by the Anatolians.

Blog Entries

The shields are the largest give away in my opinion. (Should be noted this is not the best period in History to ask me questions about )

Citizen

Well, this image gives me almost no information, I can only see one side in no discernable formation. I'm going to guess Megiddo 1457 then.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Blog Entries

Yes.

Citizen

Nice choice. I initially suspected Pyrrhus, but after a more careful research, it seems that the correct answer is the battle of Beth-Zechariah, between the revolted Jews and the imperial forces of the Seleucids. It's mostly remembered for the sacrifice of Eleazar, who succeeded in neutralising a Syrian elephant.

Citizen

Yup. Your turn. Said guy is shown beneath the elefant.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The battle is not very obscure, but you get a fancy reputation message, if you find out the nationality of the depicted officer!

EDIT: The battle is definitely not as obscure as the image may suggest. To give an extra hint, the regiment the officer belonged to was not treated very gently by the subsequent nationalist historiography. A second picture from the same affair:

Patrician

If I assume that they are French in the first image, then they could be the Irish brigade or one of many Italian formations.

I'm assuming you inverted the image? So the cavalry have "JA" on their saddles which I suppose means "Joachim Murat". Well it could also be the Russians and it says "AL" for "Aleksandr".
    The real question is are the infantry in Green the Russians or a German unit fighting for the French?

Not sure what this battle could be. It is just about everything... Borodino or Maloyaroslavets come to mind.

Borodino is correct! The second image, I think, depcits the charge of the Saxon heavy cavalry. In what concerns the first one, although the officer indeed serves under the French, he is neither Irish nor Italian. It's supposed to be Rafael de Ilanza, one of the Spanish officers attached to Joseph Bonaparte's regiment.

Patrician

I don't feel that I deserved that at all.

I did not make the Spanish connection what so ever. Though I assumed that the cavalry was either Neapolitan or some German regiment. The fortifications look like Borodino so it is the only decent assumption to make.

The gif was hilarious though.

Should not be too hard. A certain king's early successes.
    Before he was ever made to face the harsh cruelty of the world and a would be Alexander became an old and desperate man.

Battle of Soor

Citizen

Frederick the Great in what I assume to be the battle of Hohenfriedberg.

Patrician

It is the Grenadier Guards at Hohenfriedberg. One of Frederick's early successes. Picture is done by Gemalde... no clue if that is Frederick or a troop captain.

Citizen