Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Consulate of Corvenus and Lurco - 483AVC

Default Re: Consulate of Corvenus and Lurco - 483AVC

All Imperious could see was a smile on his face. Lucius knew that well enough...in fact, he was counting on it.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Esteemed Senators!
    *Spurius rose, obviously about to give a large speech. He waited for silence, staring at the younger senators at the back who were always last to stop their racket.*
    At the beginning of this year due to the large theft from Rome's treasury, I thought it unwise to begin investing and building, as it would only further place us in debt. Now, our treasury has recovered, from taxes on the recent export boom, and spoils from the destruction of the great city of Syracuse. I believe the time is right to begin spending the money we have accumulated. I propose this motion:

I. Four hundred talents (24000 Mnai) be invested in upgrading the mining system in Rheigon.
    II. Basic sanitation costing one thousand Mnai be built in Arpi and Ariminum
    III. The goverment system of Taras be expanded to cope with the larger population of the region.
    This motion would use almost all of the gold in our treasury.

The mines of Rheigon are Italy's only profitable mines, and as such I believe this investment would be profitable for Rome in the long term. Their increased output would mean we have a more reliable source for Romes needs, such as equiping the armies we have to rebuild, this reduced reliance on importing metal would be benificial as it we would be immune to the varying costs of importing, like the increase we all witnessed this year due to the massive loss of gold to Rome's economic system. This will cost less gold as a number of private investors have expressed interest in the mines.

The proposed sanitation measures in Arpi and Ariminum are a vital investment, as the citizens of the towns are continually plagued by diseases caused raw sewage lingering and contaminating water. These invesments are cheap, and include projects such as digging trenches to remove raw sewage from the town and away from the drinking water. This would also benifit Rome as I have noticed dips in Arpi's and Ariminum's tax revenue coinciding with outbreaks of these diseases, thus their prevention would be profitable.

Finally, the goverment of Taras is complaining that they are under equipped to deal with their increased population. The proposed investment would result in more men being employed to govern, and a new building to contain the larger number of men.

These investments are not only wise because of the benifits previously stated, but also investing will result in increased circulation of gold, which hopefully will get rid of the remenants of the recent crisis. For this reason I urge that this motion is passed, and the money not saved in the treasury.
    Last edited by Nota'; July 30, 2011 at 03:22 PM.

Excellent. Marcus smiled when he heard about the mines, further enlarging them only meant more money for him. Bending the rules a little was great. He would just hide his dislike for Scaeva now.. He rose and spoke.

'A fine proposition quaestor! I can see that these changes will only benefit the Republic. Therefore I can do nothing but agree wholeheartedly.'

He quickly walked back to his seat and started to count in his head how much he would invest..
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Servius rose to his feet and clapped for the Quaestor " I support your motion Quaestor. You will have my full support for it hands down . I have longed said to upgrade the mines as they will bring wealth to the republic. And sanitation is a must for every city. Although I wish you had included the construction of a temple in your motion. As I do believe that we should have a temple in every city. At least a shrine as the people should be praying to the gods as much as we prayed to them for a peace agreement with Carthage

Quaestor I have a Question for you. Would it be possible to add to the motion the construction of a temple in one of the cities of your choosing ?. I do not believe it would cost the republic much for such a Construction. Do you think it is possible ?. "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

I agree with the quaestor..
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

*Lucky Septimus isn't spiteful over the fact that I stole his motion, stripped it down, then made it my own, Spurius thought. Damn, I forgot to tell them of my generous investment of building two highways from Rome, ah well, that can be remedied.*
    Alas, the remainder of gold left in the treasury is not nearly enough to fund the building of a temple. And even if the money was availible, most of the builders in Rome are tied up either building the two highways that I have funded personally, or in other private projects. Why, I did my best to make sure that there werent any idol construction workers, as I wish for my highways to be finished as soon as possible. I have great hopes for those roads, as no doubt they will benifit trade, and allow for fast troop movement. Just a little something an old man can return to Rome.

Well Consul, if we are all in agreement, let the motion be voted upon.
    *Spurius smiled a false smile at Flavius.*
    Last edited by Nota'; July 30, 2011 at 03:20 PM.

Servius listened to the Quaestor " Very well then. I was hoping that a temple would be built to honor the gods as they had made peace with Carthage possible as they had guided our consul in making the peace agreement. But since we do not have enough funds to build a temple. I urge this body to consider that in next years Budget that we have the funds to build a grand temple to honor the god mars. Since he was the one that lead our men to victory. But Less not forget that our men are trained in the best Academies. With the best generals the known world has ever known. "

Servius took a sip of wine
    " I would also state that I publicly support the Quaestor for another term. He has done a fine job and I wish to see him as Quaestor once again. So that we know that our money is well spent. So i urge this body to support Senator Spurius for another Term as Quasestor of the republic "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

*Spurius raised an eyebrow. He was not aware that Septimus was so supporting of him. Then he smiled when Septimus said 'Since he was the one that lead our men to victory', some victory he thought.*
    My thanks for the support Septimus, however I was considering applying myself to another position, as I have felt I have succeeded as Quaestor, the economy has almost recovered since the massive theft before the start of my term. I was hoping for support in running for either Praetor or Consul, Praetor because it has come to my attention that crime is running rampant in Plebian areas of Rome, and Consul, well, the glory may have a little to do with it *Spurius smiles*, but I also think I am one of the best men availible to lead Rome through this post war period, where diplomacy is more needed than experience in wars. However if you senators feel that the economy is still in need of my attention, I promise to consider running for Quaestor again next term.

Servius smiled at the Queastor. But the smile was false in a way. He had plans to run for Praetor. But maybe he would run for Queastor. No he could not do such a thing. He was not good in math as he hated the Subject. No he needed to run for a position that would allow him to have others do things for him. But for now he was happy with being a senator.

" I will support you for any position that you run for. You are a good honest Roman that deserves to be in the ranks of Consul and Praetor.You have done many things for this Republic. Most of them honest and great for the Republic. So yes I will support you for any position you decide to run for Spurius "
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Faustus was worried, he didn't believe that many of these men had the Republic in their minds or their hearts. "It is a wise motion and you have my support, the Republic will be gracious for such improvements." Faustus was lying through his teeth. The Republic was indeed be gracious, sadly for such a ill-aligned Senator.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23