Thread: [PI AAR] The Sack of Rome

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro
    Roveredo in Piano, Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy

Default [PI AAR] The Sack of Rome

Mod: Paeninsula Italica (not campaign, custom battles)
    Timeframe: 420 BC - 380 BC

Introduction: The will of the gods
    I was very young, my father, the chief of our tribe, died in battle as a hero… After his death I’ve proven myself brave and powerful… and even a good tactician. The council of the elders nominated me as the new chief of the tribe. I was 16 back then.

I spent my first year of rule fighting against nobles that wanted to take the power because I was too young. In that year there were also a lot of attacks by the nearby tribes.

One night, before a battle, I went to sleep very early and didn’t join the feast. Everyone was searching for me but I told everyone who found me to leave and leave me alone. I soon fell asleep… But suddenly I woke up because of a strange sound from outside my tent. Soon I saw a shadow outside and I was ready to grab my sword, but suddenly the man outside starts to talk “Do not fear Brennus, I’m not an assassin or an enemy, I’m not a man either… I’m Toutatis, the defender of the Gallic tribes: I’m here to advert you that if you don’t leave this land before the sunrise, you will die in tomorrow’s battle and your tribe will be vanquished by your enemies.” He entered in the tent and I saw his appearance: he looked like one of the great heroes of the great stories that my father told me when I was a child. He was the perfect warrior and carried a beautiful iron sword and a shield. But he had lighter skin than men. I was very scared in that moment but when he went away I thought about his words and decided to follow them: “I shall lead my people in a new, better land!” I thought.

Soon after the mighty god went away I ran to the feast and everyone was happy to see me, but soon they understood that it wasn’t the right time to cheer. I told them of what happened: almost all of the people believed in my words but some (my enemies) said that I probably was drunk in that moment: with their swords in their hands tried to attack me but just in time I grabbed a spear and a shield and started fighting. All the other warriords joined me and soon started a small battle. All the other warriors joined me and soon started small battle.

The traitors lost and ran away. I rewarded all the warriors that helped me and then I said “Take all the things that you can take with you! We’re leaving this land, because of the will of Toutatis! We’re going in the lands behind the Great Mountains! We’re going to become the new rulers of that fertile land! Every people in the world will know the power and the courage of the Senones!!!!”

Last edited by Stilicone; July 16, 2011 at 01:29 AM.

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [PI AAR] The Sack of Rome

Part 1) Chapter 1: The rebellion

Before the sunrise there was nothing left of the encampment. We were already some miles away. The beautiful sun started to rise creating a beatiful purple-red sunrise. An enemy tribe discovered that we ran away
    so they took control of our old home.
    We started to march to the east and we encountered a few peaceful villages.

A few days after the start of our voyage one of my scouts was running
    anxiously towards me: "Brennus! Lugurix is back!". My body shaked at the sound of that name... "Lugurix you say?! But I thought he was dead! I thought he died ambushed by the Rhaeti!" I replied. "No sir - he said - he survived and regrouped the men that wanted to stay here in Gallia. He doesn't have many men but they are elite: Pilani and Archers with some heavy horsemen." "Let's fight then! I'll kill him with my own hands!".

It was night, and it was very cold. A blizzard arrived and covered the landscape with a thick coat of snow. Soon we saw some lights not too far from our encampment: Lugurix was here.

We prepared the army:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I positioned in the center my heavy infantry: Pilani, Spatharii and Lancearii. On the right I put the light cavalry and behind the infantry I placed the archers, slingers and skirmishers. On the right I placed myself with the heavy cavalry.

Lugurix placed the heavy infantry on the front (Pilani), the archers behind and himself behind all the troops with his bodyguards: what a coward he was!

The center of my army marched towards the enemy.

In the same time I prepared the heavy cavalry to flank the enemy troops.

My infantry had less experience than the rebel nobles of Lugurix, so they had a lot of difficulty to defeat the enemy infantry.

My flanking plan was stopped by Lugurix's cavalry that attacked me and my bodyguards.

Soon after we killed all the enemy cavalry, Lugurix included. With his death, all of his army was ready to retreat: in fact, after a few minutes the rebel scums ran to the forests.
    We won this battle with some losses because of the enemy infantry's strength and courage and the enemy archers' fire.

"Finally our path is safe!" I said. But our tribe's druid said the opposite "No, no. Our path is full of great enemies, but even full of possible allies. We are very far from our objective: the Great Mountains are not too distant from here but passing them will take a lot more than that to arrive there!"
    We marched again to the east and set an encampment, it was still night.
    In the morning, exiting from my tent I saw on the horizon the beautiful Great Mountains: the sun was rising on top of them and the landscape was beautiful; they were full of the beautiful white snow and, after those cold giants, there were the fertile plains of Italia.

Next chapter... Chapter 2: A greek colony
    Last edited by Stilicone; July 16, 2011 at 01:34 AM.

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro

No comments?

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Nice work man.
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro

Thank you.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Very good start, I'll be following. You have some typos:
    with their swords on their hands and tried to attack me but a just in time grabbed a spear and a shield and started a fight. All the other warriors joined me and soon started small battle.
    I think you meant: With their swords in their hands and tried to attack me but just in time I grabbed a spear and a shield and started fighting. All the other warriors joined me and soon started a small battle.
    beatiful
    Shouldn't that be spelled: beautiful?
    so took control of our old home
    I think you meant: so they took control of our old home.
    couard
    Shouldn't that be spelled: coward?
    take a lot more than arrive to them
    I think you meant: take a lot more than that to arrive there.
    Last edited by dezikeizer; July 23, 2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro

Sorry for my bad english.
    I've corrected the mistakes.

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro

Posting update this afternoon or maybe tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by dezikeizer View Post
    All the other warriords joined me and soon started a small battle.
    A little typo there by yourself, Mister.

Following this AAR.
    Last edited by Shaq of Fu; July 18, 2011 at 05:48 AM.

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro

Thank you Shaq of Fu

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro

Part 1) Chapter 2: A greek colony (1)
    We finally defeated the rebels and started our journey to Italia. Our path was safe from when we defeated the rebel scums but after a few weeks we've found a great village, with stone walls, on the shore, inhabited by people that talked a gibberish language "Χαιρε Ξενοι! (Chaire Xenoi!)" they said.
    One of my scouts, Eporedorix, said "Sire, these men are from the far lands of Hellas. They've founded cities throught all the shores of the great sea! They have a powerful army, so we must make an alliance with them, and maybe if we do some work for them, we could earn some of their brave soldiers! They're great merchants and sailors too!".
    "So these are the legendary Greeks I've heard about - I replied - great builders, warriors, sailors and merchants, incredible, really incredible! I think we should meet their diplomats and discuss on making a pact of friendship between our people and theirs".
    "Good idea my liege" he replied...

The day after a small embassy arrived to our encampment and one of the diplomats came to me speaking my language "Χαιρε (Chaire) great leader Brennus! We've heard of your victory in the north and we congratulate you and your brave warriors. My name is Απολλοδορος (Apollodoros) της Νικαιας (tes Nikaias=of Nicaea) and I represent the city council of Nicaea. The great elders said that we should form and alliance and we ask help from your tribe."
    "Tell me what you want" I replied.
    "We want - he answered - that you defeat the powerful Ligures on the east. These fierce warriors have sacked our farms and villages and we are sick of them: our army is occupied helping the bigger city of Massilia in another war so we are defenseless! If you and your tribe will help us, we'll give you some of our hoplites and give you some supplies."
    "Sounds like a good deal - I said - Stay here tonight, we'll feast for this new pact of friendship and soon we'll crush these Ligures!"
    "Thank you very much, o great Στρατεγος (strategos) of the great Senones!"

To be continued...

Last edited by Stilicone; July 19, 2011 at 02:19 AM.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Very good update again, and don't be too hard on yourself for your english, as you write it better than alot of native english speakers. Keep writing and with practice you'll get better. Oh, and thanks for the spot there, Shaq of Fu. The typos:
    discuss on making a pact of friendship
    Shouldn't that be: discuss making a pact of friendship?
    should form and alliance
    I think you meant: should form an alliance.
    We want - he answered - that you defeat the powerful Ligures on the east
    Shouldn't that be: We want - he answered - you to defeat the powerful Ligures to the east?

Stilicone's Avatar Tiro

I'm finally back from Luxembourg!

Thank you dezikeizer

ehm where is the next update?