Thanks

Default Re: DRAGONBORN Total War - Initial Preview

OMG this is so freakin' AWESOME!!!!!!! Can't wait...DEFINATELY
    Best M2TW mods :)

1st Place) Third Age
    2nd Place) THERA - Call of Warhammer

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
    Well, I know it's a double post, but I don't really do very well at forum-stuff. I can't make coffee, can't put shelves up, or anything vaguely practical. I may well have forgotten how to tie shoe-laces after all this time...well on sensible shoes anyway (which I don't wear). I am inept at most languages, can't shoot a balloon from 2 foot away, and most definitely can't Imagine myself in space. I COULD probably outrun a lemming (with a head start), but then I'd forget to stop due to excitement and fall off the cliff instead of stopping...then I would fall on the shelf which I had built below it, just in case, but, as I said, I can't put shelves up, so I'd be doomed anyway. I CAN make tea!
    This was hilarious, but never forget the power of tea. With that said, I love the new lore of Ilien, great work Beregond, and the thought that the empire already has lore even for individual cities like Saladir is just great for me since I love to know as much as possible about fantasy worlds as I can, especially the cultures. Keep up the good work.
    Favorite Mods
    Thera, Call of Warhammer, Eras Total Conquest, Broken Crescent, Third Age Total War.
    Awaiting these Great Mods
    Dragonborn, Warcraft Total War, The Frontier, Faerun Total War, Dragonlance Total War, All Under Heaven, Planet War, Hyrule Total War, Murica Total War, Rising Sumer, Horsemen Of The Steppe.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Clansman117 View Post
    This was hilarious, but never forget the power of tea. With that said, I love the new lore of Ilien, great work Beregond, and the thought that the empire already has lore even for individual cities like Saladir is just great for me since I love to know as much as possible about fantasy worlds as I can, especially the cultures. Keep up the good work.
    You know, Squeaks told me how she was surprised nobody brought that post up. Way to ruin it, Clansman

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Just kidding with you I thought it was damn hilarious myself

+rep to both of you for your support

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Quote Originally Posted by .:Zack Fair:. View Post
    OMG this is so freakin' AWESOME!!!!!!! Can't wait...DEFINATELY
    Sweet! Thanks, and we intend to do this as quickly as we can, with no loss of quality...we won't sacrifice quality at all.

Cool...we intend to have the lore done piece by piece, but again with haste...I have posted about 15 lore documents in 2 days earlier this week...a LOT of writing and stuff. Boris and Beregond are stars, and they've taken to this project like ducks to water...and they are improving simple write ups to what I think is publishable quality work.

ATM Boris is covering CHitkinnen and Cimrai, but he won't stick at them I doubt.

Bere has taken the Federation, Iryn Thaan, Ilien and the Principality of Steel, and the rest is me at present, but it's easier for me really...they have the harder jobs. It's all in my mind and on serious amounts of notes, so simple for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    +rep to both of you for your support
    Echo that! Will try to have something else to show later, but we're wary about some stuff being shown, as it's going to be a BIG surprise.

We started this about 2 1/2 months ago, and our forum has about 1200 posts from the team...that's a fair bit. When you think that a lot of these posts are units, coding, mapping and lore it's really not too bad. It's abosultely impossible to think of when this would be released, but we do plan some stuff for you to play with along the way. The team's amazing.

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Inspired by Hunted-the demons Forge
    Last edited by T&D; August 05, 2011 at 09:14 AM.

RIGHT...I've promised these for a while, but had so much lore to upload that I only managed the Ahsapuri units. Badabaskan troops are to follow, but there'll be a lot of information on the CThonae and the Ghaurchlai (pronounced GOWER-KLAI) first.

TADAH! WOLFBORN GODLSAYERS; their Heroic unit, which all factions have...these are the butchers of the battlefield!

'Something stirred amongst the ranks of the Wolfborn. The Bearweirds and wolf brethren parted, bowing their heads in suplication. Lightning flashed across the heads of the waiting warriors. Where normal men seem not enough, when a battle is all but lost, men turn to heroes, to the best of their own. They hold lines that would otherwise crumble, and die where they stand shouting a litany of defiance to the last man. From the deep ranks strode the Godslayers. They had slain a god in the past, so legend states, a war god of the deep waters, intent on drowning their fleet. From ships and masts, they flung themselves at him, cutting him ever more deeply, clinging to his flesh in a violent, primal struggle, till he sank beneath the waves, leaving gouts of blood in the water. A wind stirred, called by their holymen, calling on their own deity, as the Godslayers stood, screaming their victory to the winds, which had once had a brother beneath the waves.

As the foes' ranks shuddered, it was not mere men that walked towards them, but killers of gods, the crackling streaks of blue lightning hissing as they stood alone, facing a host thrice their number. The battle already won, simply by the power and weight of their doom-laden gaze. For what can mere men do against something so terrible that the power of gods was once not enough?

Hope you like!

Squeak out!

Oh nuts...axe models are Lord Calidor's....they just fitted so well.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

oooh,always wondered what they'd look like
    i like these a lot,i see your going for a vikingish style with them?
    anyways,+rep

btw,incase you think im a bit inactive,its because im in the netherlands for a holiday

Awesome!!! I love wolfborn!!
    Last edited by Hercules18; August 05, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Those guys are amazing. If you don't mind me asking, will every faction have a heroe unit? If so then that is awesome! Go Dragonborn!
    Sorry HP, I just was glad someone else will say semi-random things, everyone always thinks I'm crazy when i do it. But thats ok, the voices in my head are good company.
    Last edited by Clansman117; August 06, 2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: typos
    Favorite Mods
    Thera, Call of Warhammer, Eras Total Conquest, Broken Crescent, Third Age Total War.
    Awaiting these Great Mods
    Dragonborn, Warcraft Total War, The Frontier, Faerun Total War, Dragonlance Total War, All Under Heaven, Planet War, Hyrule Total War, Murica Total War, Rising Sumer, Horsemen Of The Steppe.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    oooh,always wondered what they'd look like
    i like these a lot,i see your going for a vikingish style with them?
    anyways,+rep

btw,incase you think im a bit inactive,its because im in the netherlands for a holiday
    Uhm, glad you like 'em!

I was kinda tying NOT to be viking as much as possible, but I think there will always be an association with them; they are an influence for sure. They cling to ancestral lands like limpets, and they raid mostly because they HAVE to, but they've not been conquerers as such in the past - they HAVE fought against the EMpire and the Sun King many times, and have joined armies trying to bring the EMpire down, but they have also fought with Ashapur, although they're a valued trade partner - slaves are good business!

WHat has changed now is that they hyave a young leader, who wishes to lead them a different way. |He wants fertile lands, wants to test his men against other nations, wants to become a power to be reckoned with. The Wolfborn are at a spire in their power, and the world will feel the power from the Wolver Isles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules18 View Post
    Awesome!!! I love wolfborn!!
    Cool! Well, I have many ideas for their troops, and their roster IS pretty good. Their troops are veterans of many clashes..none are weaklings and they are brutal, efficient killers with no real softness in them, no compassion for the most part. Makes 'em pretty dangerous

Those guys are amazing. If you don't mind me asking, will every faction have a heroe unit? If so then that is awesome! Go Dragonborn!
    Thanks

Yes, every faction has one or two 'heroic' units. They ARE very strong, but always difficult to sustain in the field. We're trying to mess with the recruitment of these heroic units, so hope to do something quite different.

Other Heroic units...a couple

Selediri - Dragonbloods
    Principality of Steel - Knights of the Queen's Innocence and The Royal Gryphons (gryphon mounted knights)
    Chitkinnen - Pit Razors
    Ildiri - Tears of Ithil (BIG story behind them)
    Lindiri - Ravenshrouds

and many more.

Sorry HP, I just was glad someone else will say semi-random things, everyone always thinks I'm crazy when i do it. But thats ok, the voices in my head are good company.
    Ring-a-Ring of Roses
    Pocket full of posies
    ....we all fall, down...

Just don't ever do that one...small children singing it slightly out of tune is a terrifying thing...if I sing it, the terror comes from the fact it's me singing, not the rhyme itself..

As for voices in the head...at least you never run out of company! Never a bad thing...just ask the 42 Squeaks....

COme to think of it, I reckon at least one of those Squeaks of mine is slightly mad...certainly the others point the finger at number 22. Not convinced it's not a vendetta though, as number 22 is always chatting away and is a bit rude for drowning out the others...

I has best investigate when they're all awake. Get back to you later about it.

Torvus's Avatar Campidoctor

I love that you're trying to do something different, and for the most part, seem like you're succeeding, but I think you'll have to accept that people are going to make comparisons.
    Now, will the Empire have hero units of its own or just the provincial ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Torvus View Post
    I love that you're trying to do something different, and for the most part, seem like you're succeeding, but I think you'll have to accept that people are going to make comparisons.
    Yep...you're not wrong. There's no such thing as an author or world creator who can stay away from drawing some inspiration from our history. The big no-no for me is other peoples' work.

What I did throughout the long ten years was to take names and stuff from myths, folklore, and history and then take names, mess with them, ideas, mess with them, so that this was

a. Not completely alien to people
    b. As unique as is possible
    c. Organised chaos

When I say about peoples' mentioning of other factors, I mean simply to remind that I've spent so much time the above. I'm never grumpy about it, for sure

WHen I made this thingy, it was from so many things...from Ladybird books only vaguely remembered from when I was 6, from fairy tales, from english stories/myths like the Lambton worm, and every childhood play fantasy, lost in worlds of imagination and things I wished WERE real.

So there are units with warped names...Lindiri Taurcenian Guard for instance are essentially minotaurs...Taur from Taurus..so bull (the animal! )

Scyllan Devourers for the SUn King are obviously the myth of Scylla and Charybdis, BUT they are man sized creatures, not multi-headed beasties that trash ships' crews. STaying with the SUn King, we have Daughters of Charybdis sister to scylla, the whirlpool beastie), we have Icarine Knights (so winged knights, but only flying just off the ground to make movement quicker)...there are parallels, but they're still imagined differently/uniquely.

I think I will post the entirety of a faction's roster, with descriptions, then this can be shown better...why not start with the SUn King? Will try to do this tonight, so in the next couple of hours.

Now, will the Empire have hero units of its own or just the provincial ones?
    Heh. Well,of COURSE they have heroic units. The Emperor's Warflame are one, for example....

'Around the EMperor stood the ANcillian Pitdogs, arrayed in a haphazard fashion, each finding the room for their unique fighting style. To his back, front and in support of the Pit Dogs, there were the Men of the EMperor's Warflame, bearers of the flaming standard, burning with a flame that needed no fuel, flapping in the wind like a burning briar, showering the stern men beneath in twisting shreds of burning flares.

They were braced tightly in their deep ranks, and they looked to the fore as one. No give was in their eyes, nothing here would break or fail, and the men around them in the line drew comfort, even inspiration from these silent men who stood like statues...

...a knot of Revenants beat their path through the ANcillian Pit Dogs, tossing them aside like dolls. Aginst the Warflame they moved, their meathooks dragging along the floor, wailing like something alive. The Warflame enclosed the EMperor, and stood to meet this savage foe.

The Revenants struck the lines, and there was no give. For a second, this seemed to shock the Revenants, and the Warflame moved as one. SPears snicked forwads, thrust twice forwards, then withdrawn; effortless, savage and in absolute unision, they struck, and Revenants fell - but more came, and on the right other Ghaur were pressing towards the EMperor. A rippling movement came from the Warflame, and they encased the EMperor in a ring of steel, but he was the greatest man to have lived, and he took the frontline. When the Revenants attacked again, there was blue flame in the eyes of the warriors who knew no fear and met them with a savage smile. Within that smile was no humour, only death.

See? Heroes indeed!!

SUN KING ROSTER

Here y'are. The SUn King's Roster. STrange that

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

YOUNG SONS

These men are sent to the EMpire to serve their youth as poorly paid mercenaries, the return when they have served fo at least 15 years, no longer the smiling youth that their parents last saw, but grim eyed men of war.They fight with a large round shield and a long spear. They form the backbone of any Rebel army, as they are the most numerous.

SUNSHIELDS

The Sun King stand within a halo or radiance, and the shining golden shields of the SUn SHields represent this above all others. This unit is comprised of the better veterans of the Young Sons, and rotate ranks during a battle to prevent individuals becomeing exhausted.

MOON SHIELDS

As the wife of the sun, the Moon is formed of women who have been the wives of the young sons, highly trained in their absence. Where there were once women of youyth and beauty, there are stern, strong women, many of whom are widows. They fight next to their brothers in war, SUna dn Moon Shields standing together, unbreakable.

MOON MAIDENS - BOTH AFOOT AND MOUNTED

The Moon Maidens are women who are attached to either the Moon Cult or the Daughters of the Skyhorse, huntress of the skies. They are vital to the army, as they are expert archers. Mounted or unmounted, they serve with a grace and run with loping strides. They are truly beautiful, and are celibate, wedded to the Mistress of the Moon, upon her Skyhorse.

ICARUS KNIGHTS

The Icarine Knights are a highly mobile force of winged infantry. They wield Ley javelins and use ley wings that are powered by the sun. They are a highly regarded force and can certainly more than hold their own in melee, but their speed and the sunfire javelins they throw make them tactically unique in the SUn King's Host.

EXILIAN WATCH

The Dour Exilian Watch are an ancient force, one from before records began. Who trained them is not certain, but why they trained them is. The unit fights close to the Sun King at all times, and they solidly support his persoanl guard, but they posses skills beyond the norm, preternaturally strong and blessed with celerity, they put fear into most foes, but their real skill lies in the possibility of war with the CThoane, or when the Ghaur should rise again. Wehn this happens, they are uniquely prepared to tear them apart.

MYRMAEN GAURD

Inculding men and women in their ranks, the Myrmae are spiritual warriors. They are a part of the Maenad Cult and they represent a force of chaos and madness that usually lies below the surface of those at war. The Myrmae embraced this madness and hurl it back at their foes. Away from war, they tend the temples, cleaning stairs and floors, muted and subdued, but in a battle, you should prefer to fight on their side, not against them.

STYXIAN GUARD

Very difficult to stop or kill, the Styxian Guard are born between the normal world and the Farstream, dipped within it's waters by desperate mothers, they either die or survive; those that survive are fantastically hard to kill. Many joke that they don't even need armour, that it is simply to protect their virtue, but it is probably true. Their skin is blackened in places, and veins run grey through other body parts. Not all of the body is covered, and they are the weaker spots. Wielding two handed axes, they are a ruthless, implacable enemy.

LIONS OF ERYN

The Lions of Eryn are women and men mounted on the backs of the Lions that live near the city of ELis. ALl mounts are male, heavily maned in black, and their speed, ferocity and the inevitable pounce that shatters ranks is a terrible thing for their enemies. To be struck by a sword is one thing; to face these massive warbeasts, and their highly skilled, armed and armoured riders simply overpower most foes. They are a brave and noble unit, and the riders hunt with their mounts and share all meat together.

SISTERS OF CHARYBDIS

These women are slightly deformed, twisted and maimed. They are said to have been broken by the powers they learn to control, but the tgruth may never be known by any outside the order. The Sisters are rare indeed...humans that have managed to master some of the Werding - the use of the Ley Magic that pulses through the nerve centres of the Dragon.

With this force, they summon glowing swords, lash their foes with invisible whips of pain. Their very voices are a shrill cacophany.

SCYLLAN DEVOURERS

These oddities have snake-like heads, and can open their jaws wide, with a maw that fosters hundreds of teeth. They bite deeply, then suck their foes into the Void itself, dragging foes into the void that surrounds each world, swallowing them into a frozen void beyond the dragon's body.

HOUNDS OF KEREBUS

Great warhounds, these are unleashed and devour enemies, savaging them and moving on after each heart has been consumed - there is little of interest beyond the consumption of this organ, and they swiftly move on to satisfy a terrible hunger. Massively powerful avatars of the volcanoes, they are hot to touch and unleash heat to slow, tire and burn their foes. They cause massive fear in any that lays eyes upon them, causing horses to buck, men to melt away in fear and their impact on the field may be measured well beyond their ability to kill and maim.

SACRED OF THE SUN KING

The SUn King has always had a household guard; men who joined him inexile, and these are the guards of his open skied palace, resplendent in gold, silver and black. Each pair of this guard'ds number have a strong connection in their hearts; whether lovers, husbands and wives - even twins or brothers and sisters, they are the epitomy of the best thjat the Sun Kingdom can field. Their whole life is devoted to martial and physically perfection, and the pairs that fight are a solid unit and fight as one - usually a defender is nominated and an attacker. The Defender keeps them alive, dealing their own rapid ripostes to enemy strikes, but the other reaps the dead like corn. Striding proudly into war, they are shining in the sunlight - demi-gods they are called by some.

SUN KINGS SKYHORSE

The Skyhorse are the most noble fighting force. They are teamed at birth - man and Hippogryff, each unique bonded, able to communicate through simple thought, they are prefection, and truly truly beautiful to behold in flight, noble mount and brazen rider, resplendent in their array, their spirits soar as one. Ever have these warriors screened the location of the SUn Palace, and evermore they have scouted, harassed supply lines and even numbered amongst their own the Sun King himself.

This is a roster in progress...there are some that will not be included and others that may be proposed later when we get to the real nitty-gritty of the units for factions, and the limits of the engine itself.
    Last edited by Squeaks; August 06, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

Was wondering what kind of ranged units the wolfborn will have? Bowmen,crossbowmen,axe throwers?? ALL?????

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules18 View Post
    Was wondering what kind of ranged units the wolfborn will have? Bowmen,crossbowmen,axe throwers?? ALL?????

Well, they have several skirmish units, some flying warrior-women who have missile attacks, and they have access to destructive magic. SO, I'm not going to fully answer it. They have some to get by with, and their magic is mostly destructive, so you'll have a decent showing. They may be horseless, but they aren't without fangs.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Cool Wolfborn.

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

The Wolfborn look like true terrors of the battlefield, very very very nice. + rep

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

cant wait to see the final product!!

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

It will be long time until this mod will be released...Unless some people will join the team!!!