Thread: Classic Radar Map v2

Default Classic Radar Map v2

This mod replaces the sepia radar map with one that shows the terrain, like the one in vanilla M2TW and Kingdoms. It might need some tweaking for Mordor and the desert regions but it's nevertheless a bit clearer than the old map. I also included a plain parchment background texture.

To install, place the data folder in the Third_Age directory and overwrite the files. You may want to make backups, the files replaced are radar_map1.tga, radar_map2.tga and radar_map_background.tga.

///////////////////////////////////////

Version 2 is further down the thread.
    Last edited by VltimaRatio; July 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: New version
    Winter is Coming

Default Re: Classic Radar Map v1

looks really nice!

can you see the regions divided and in faction-colors ? could you please attach such a pic too ?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Good one VltimaRatio. +rep

I took an in-game screenshot.

I seem to have lost the images around it though - the globe thingy. Maybe I did something wrong?

EDIT: oh wait, that's what you meant by...
    I also included a plain parchment background texture.
    I set the radar_map_background.tga back to the original and took another look. And zoomed in as well. Then I forgot how the original looked.

The second attachment includes the original on the bottom.

If I may offer a suggestion VltimaRatio, the original has a burnt/shadow inner border effect which makes it blend in a bit better with its surroundings. Perhaps you could do a similar thing.
    Last edited by Withwnar; July 13, 2011 at 05:11 AM.

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Sort of like this?

Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Not to be puritan but this map, although I like the more detailed feeling, is contradicting the game play map in a way that doesnt feel spot on.
    Mainly I'm concerned about the green Mordor and Harad. I say good work, but would suggest the map to be reworked or changed into a similar but less 'grassy' version.
    Cheers

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by VltimaRatio View Post
    . It might need some tweaking for Mordor and the desert regions but it's nevertheless a bit clearer than the old map.
    @Ngugi, you do not understatnd what you read?? ;P

I lieks this map

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    @Ngugi, you do not understatnd what you read?? ;P
    I do, but one can still encourage improvments, because a tweak can unimportant or create opinion As of course is up to the creator to chose weither it is of interest to make a change or not ^^

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Thanks for all the feedback. Well, this is version 2, with a grey Mordor and a sandy Harad, and with a dark edge around the map. I considered adding snow to the north, but I wasn't sure where the border would be, and it looked a bit out of place.
    Winter is Coming

Default Re: Classic Radar Map v2

Nice map!

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by VltimaRatio View Post
    You may want to make backups, the files replaced are radar_map1.tga, radar_map2.tga and radar_map_background.tga.
    Version 2 is further down the thread.
    Is that intended that radar_map_background.tga is not in Version2? (However I don't need this one file).
    Last edited by Vifarc; July 14, 2011 at 03:56 AM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

nice map but i still see something that must be included, like the mountains of angmar and the snow in the north would actually be very good.